Author Topic: Cattabrie is my training nightmare, need BPO thoughts  (Read 3879 times)

Offline gr8dame

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Cattabrie is my training nightmare, need BPO thoughts
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:37:31 pm »
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:32:27 am by gr8dame »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Cattabrie is my training nightmare, need BPO thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:45:07 pm »
Welcome to my world!!!
I have been to a three different clubs and Lily behaves totally different at each place. At one she is the best dog ever, at the other one she pulls to get out the entire time and the third one she is there...but not really.
If your pup is not interested in training at Petsmart just stop it...it's not worth it. If you still want to get something out of it tell your instructor that you want to just come and do nothing while others do stuff. You and her can just relax, give her a massage and have a good time...it's sill a socialization  ::) If it's not fun for her now, it's not going to be later
Dogs are much smarter that we think they are  ::)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 10:47:03 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:10:53 am »
To me as a trainer this would mean your pup is stressed and shutting down when there. May I ask if these classes are held in one of Petsmarts "Training areas" that are like 10 x 10 in size?
 Back when I taught group classes I always said that I was a "dog owner trainer" not a dog trainer. These classes are set up more to train you what to do not the pup. So you can still gain even if she does not work while there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:12:00 am by VdogLover »

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:37:58 am »
Farley went to Petsmart too and did pretty much nothing--except play with a weimaraner puppy. We went to a different training facility after that and he was a totally diffrent dog :-\

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 10:57:14 am »
Farley went to Petsmart too and did pretty much nothing--except play with a weimaraner puppy. We went to a different training facility after that and he was a totally diffrent dog :-\

One things for sure when it comes to training classes..
they are not all equal and the same. I personally tell people to use Petsmart as a last resort or to take their classes only for the pup to be socialized.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 02:41:23 pm »
Navarre was never really interested in the treats either, no matter what I tried.  But the problem I had with him was once his nose hit the ground, that was it, he was more interested in the scent than in me!!!  That is until McDonald's french fries, and a new collar!!  So, if the cookies don't work, you can always try fries!! 
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 02:02:04 am »
Hang in there...Petsma rt classes are not all equal as I think someone has already said..I could never afford them and always to mine to the park..for classes..outdo ors can sometimes make a difference..

Of course if it is freezing and snow where you are that won't work..but spring is almost here..

It sounds to me like he is shutting down..get him out more not just to petsmart...oth er places as well..

Since he is doing well at home..I wouldn't *freak out* yet

Keep us all posted
Tricia and the fur kids

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 12:05:02 pm »
Please do not give Macadamia nuts as they are poisonous to dogs. Try some other type of cookie, maybe peanut butter.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla