Author Topic: Agressive bully  (Read 8683 times)

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Agressive bully
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 06:14:59 am »
Go to the what we look like thread and you'll find out!
I just paged through 26 pages of posts on "what do we look like" but YEAAAAAH- I love being right especially if my hubby's wrong -tee hee! ;)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 06:19:22 am »
Yea sorry I just snapped, but all those nasty posts towards small dogs are getting to me.

Megan I understand you being frustrated.  There are some cool little dogs out there.  I 've just never met them :D  I know in my case I do post about them alot, but that's because I have to vent to someone and BPO people are the only ones who don't think I"m looney for being mad my 155 pound beast was attacked by a 5 pound Mojo.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

henrysmomma

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 06:29:10 am »
This may seem stupid....what is a mojo? I know it's a little dog, but why are they called that?

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 06:43:08 am »
Bulldogs are not designed or bred to defend people.

His gonads will not help him defend you either. Only allow him to keep the testosterone that tends to make males more argumentative with others.

The first step with attention is to teach the dog to look at your face consistently when you say his name.

Teach him this with food.

All you need to do is stand in front of him, and show him a treat. Wait until he looks at your face, and he will eventually, and at that time say his name and YESS! and give the treat.

Soon he will be offering you this behavior in expectation of a treat. This means you are making progress.

So now you demand a longer gaze before you treat.

Once the dog learns to look when you ask, then introduce light distractions. the only correction I might use is a little tug reminder using a buckle collar.

When you are OUT and if he refuses to attend to you, I would put a steady gentle but firm straight up pressure on his collar.  He will quickly realize that his breathing is more difficult. ;)

As soon as you notice he is focusing on his discomfort instead of the other dog, you become the good guy with the COOKIES. THIS is when you ask for his attention and turn him away from the other dog.

I would also carry something with me to keep other dogs away. If you can, I would warn other dog owners in your area that you will no longer tolerate loose dogs running up to yours, and that you are prepared to defend yourself and your dog from those dogs that are running loose.

I would then walk with a keep riding crop (my favorite) or a bottle of vinegar water with 2 drops of tabasco in it. This one works well, and they generally don't come back for a second dose.

I would strongly urge you to reconsider you decision not to neuter your dog.

Dogs who are not going to be used for breeding are much better off altered. It will completely remove the sex drive from his life, and he will have that much more time to focus on  you, being your companion, and loving you.

And PS. One of the toughest dogs I EVER had was a neutered male. If your dog is past a year of age, neutering will not affect his temperament very much except to decrease marking behavior and aggressive posturing towards other males. These behavior changes happen gradually over about a years time following the neuter of adult male dogs.

Good luck, and if you have other questions, let me know.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

henrysmomma

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 06:48:58 am »
Great! I will follow that advice :D As for neutering him, I probably will end up neutering him eventually, I'm so back and forth on that issue ::)...Do you have any suggestions to making him at least more protective of the home, I know these dogs are meant to be more dog aggressive...b ut I am curious if I can maybe influence that more towards unwanted guests (I don't want him harming anyone ;) Just give them a reason to leave me alone)...what do you think? :)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2005, 06:53:29 am »

What I do with my dogs is to encourage them if/when the bark at pedestrians, someone at the door, etc.

I encourage them with my "key word".

I use a couple of phrases, and always in a WHISPERED tone.

"Who is that???" or "Do you see someone?". I say this a few times while the pup is looking or barking. Then I say THAT WILL DO in a firm tone, and distract the dog from his alert.

This way you are teaching the command for the alert, and the command for the "stand down" at the same time.

If the dog does not alert to strangers at the door, or pedestrians walking etc, you cannot teach him to do this.

:D

I WHISPER the alert words for a couple of reasons:

MOst people, if they are trying to "alert" a dog, are not going to whisper.

And if I ever really feel there is an intruder nearby, outside or in my house or vehicle, I surely don't want to be yelling:

SIC 'EM FIDO....

I prefer to be able to set my dogs off with a soft whisper.

;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

henrysmomma

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2005, 06:57:04 am »
Henry barks at the door or if he hears someone outside but never at pedestrians, I'll try that out too and see what I get ;D

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2005, 09:31:45 pm »
This may seem stupid....what is a mojo? I know it's a little dog, but why are they called that?

Long story short.  (If I remember everything right) one of our members was out and saw a lost sign for a tiny CHihuahua named Mojo.  Sign said "Be careful he bites".  Just so fit into the sterotype, we started calling all small dogs Mojo.  It's not a stupid question, it's an inside joke here so everyone has to ask at one time or another.  :) 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."