Author Topic: Arrghh! Boo is being horribly obnoxious  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Arrghh! Boo is being horribly obnoxious
« on: March 28, 2006, 09:32:46 am »
I'm chalking it up to adolescent punk puppy stage, but I want to put it out there just in case I'm missing something. 
1.  When my daughter and I are eating, she has a bad habit of trying to take food off our plates.  When she does this I either give her the "no" sign or push her away.  This then escalates into her growling then barking in my face.  (not a mean bark, just barking)  At this point my ears are ringing b/c she barks so loudly.  So I get up and she runs away with her tail going two-forty like its play time.  Its not and I put her in her crate for a time out.  A minute later I'll let her out and she does the same thing.  I've tried showing teeth and growling, the "no" sign and the time out and none of it seems to work. 

2.  She tries to get between me and the counter when I'm making dinner and is generally trying to push me away.  So I get in her face and stand over her and back her up.  Has no effect and two seconds later she's back at it.

3.  She has a bad habit of chasing leaves when I take her out to go potty.  I don't put her Halti on her to go, just her leash and regular collar.  She basically pulls me where she wants to go and ignores any sign I make to her.  Should I use a choke collar to bring her out to go pee?  And she suddenly just stops dead and start sniffing the sidewalk, stairs, door, grass etc. and won't move.  I have to actually take her by the collar to even budge her.  And then it usually turns into a tugging match. 

So, is my Boo just being a punk a** lately or are there more problems here.  She's in intermediate obedience and is doing really well.  She's devil child at home.  Maybe I should have PM'ed Moni about this.  Ok, Moni if you read this, HELP!!   ;D  And if anyone else has any input, I'd sure like it.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Arrghh! Boo is being horribly obnoxious
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 10:14:20 am »
The thing that I find works for me and Harly is a water bottle. If I see that she is doing something wrong I say no and show her the water bottle. She stops right away. This of course only works if boo doesn't like water sprayed at her. Which to my luck Harley hates.
Hope this helps

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 02:12:50 pm »
Sorry, I missed this yesterday.  I'm bad and only look at the messeges in the index quick and don't read everything even there.

I'll let you know what has worked for me, and you can take it from there.  :)  The first two are not deaf dog problems, rather hard headed, hyper adolescence(sp?) probs.   ;D  I didn't really have trouble with Tenchi with this, because he was was so layed back.  However with my spaz herding breeds, this was definitely an issue when they were testing the waters.

One thing you have to decide is if you want a quick fix, or to work through it.  No one should judge you on this, everyone has different amounts of time to dedicate to their dogs training and both work for different people.  Quick fix is put Boo behind a gate or crate her while eating or doing supper.

However, having spazoid herding breeds.. for me that meant they need to learn an "settle, calm, chillout" command.  Otherwise they'd probably end up in their crates most of their life.  ;)  I start as very young puppies, but it works no matter what the age.  I even taught a 6/7yr lab/golden mix, who'd never been in houses, how to "chill".  So it does work but requires a bit of time and dedication.

With puppies, to teach them to "chill" I just use the umbilical cord method.  Meaning, if they are out of their crate, they are mostly on leash either attached to me, or tied to something right next to me.  They do have toys and can play and once prove theirselves are given more and more freedom.  This has nothing to do with outside/inside play times when they have my undivided attention.  I've raised all my pups this way, and it especially works well with the deaf and/or blind dogs.  It attunes them to you and they learn to read you faster I believe.  It also teaches them to pay attention to their "person", because who knows when that crazy lady is going to get up and do something.  ;)

Since Boo is older, I'd recommend just trying to teach her a "chill out/place" command instead.  Find a blanket/bed/towel big enough for her to lay on in the kitchen area(if that's the only place you're having problems).  Bring her into the kitchen with you and have her lay on it.  I'm sure she'll break her "down" a zillion times before learning it, but it will work. 

Its up to you if you want to treat her while she's down(don't treat her when you release her, just when she's actually laying down).  I use treats for young puppies, but sometimes they get too anxious over them and it makes it harder to for them to hold their "down".  So other times, I just keep bringing the dog back to their spot and having them lay down again.  When they're back in the down, then I pet and praise them.  You know your dog best, so you'll know which method works best for her.  :)

I urge you only to do this when you have time to keep redirecting her, otherwise it'll take you much longer to teach it to her.  If you don't have the time some days, then automatically crate/gate her.

As for the chasing leaves problem, that could be a bit of a deaf dog problem mixed with normal hyper puppyish-ness.  Since deaf dogs can be highly visual, moving things seem to catch and hold their attention.  I'd recommend using your halti outside, so you can redirect her attention easier.  Does she have a "potty" sign?  If not, start using one and sign it and treat her after she goes.  As soon as she's done, take off the halti if you'd like and then use some sort of release sign. That way she'll learn, potty first, play second.

Sorry this turned out to be such a book, and I'm sure I've left things out.  I have to go get the kids off the bus now, but feel free to PM or respond on here and I'll try and answer any questions as best as I can.  :)

Take care and good luck!
~moni

BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 03:46:04 pm »
As for the chasing leaves...Kali does it obsessively and she's fully capable of hearing though she pretends to be deaf on occasion.  I've landed on my head and butt numerous times from it...main thing to do is to try and see it before she launches after it.  As soon as she shows excited interest give a correction and make her turn her attention back to you.  It works for me when I'm paying attention with Kali.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties