Author Topic: How many is too many?  (Read 7691 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
How many is too many?
« on: July 25, 2005, 06:40:14 pm »
I love dogs. I want lots of dogs at my house. I was discussing this with boyfriend last night... how many dogs is too many dogs? I want each one of them to feel very special and loved. I'm not talking about how many can I afford, I am really talking about how many can I love without anyone being emotionally neglected? It's probably different for different people, sure, but I wonder what would be the limit? I don't want to go crazy or anything, but...
 I work at home so they are rarely alone. They sleep in the room with me every night. I know my two boys now feel very loved and confident. I know I could add one more. Could I add 2 more?
Anyone have some experience here?

Nicole

Re: How many is too many?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 07:04:48 pm »
HA!!!! Rebekah! That is so funny! I have these types of conversations with my boyfriend and friends all the time. I am of course, completely serious when I ask them, and they think that I have lOST MY MIND! The boyfriend is like, "Um, no zoos, please!" But, for me, its the same question, how many can I have without neglecting any of them? Seriously! I've only got one now, and Mark thinks that's plenty. I KNOW I could add one, and it would still be fine. We've had two dogs more often than not.

I think that three would be pushing it for us right now, though. Space and time wise.

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 07:05:13 pm »
We have two and that is our limit right now. Just for the yard that we have and the size of house that we have. Plus the next dog I want is a Newfie. LOL Plus as we experinced in April/May with both dogs sick and one being put to rest and $2000 less unexpectedly was all we could handle.
My heart could take 100 more. :D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 07:24:38 pm »
If I am thinking with my heart I say 8.  Thinking my head (hurts) I am thinking 4.  I currently have two Great Pyrenees. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

nickerbokker

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 07:34:39 pm »
tina, im sorry, but that is incorrect.  according to you...i will have 200 dogs by next year.  the two i have dont listen to me...can you imagine the mad house! 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 07:38:40 pm »
Nicker, they may not listen to you but they sure do love you.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 08:57:15 pm »
well let see right now I have three Danes and a Lab and I have had up to 8 medium and small dogs but I think that righ now four is my limit (unless I see a really cute Dane that I just can't live without). With my four and two being puppies, 75 pound puppies, but still puppies my dog food bill is close to 60 bucks a week. Then you gotta figure in vet bills and the "what if's". I really Love dogs and rigth now its Great Danes but my boyfriend has asked my to wait on another until the two pups are full grown to see the food bill then, but if it was up to me I'd have maybe 10.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 12:27:29 am »
Before Buffy passed away, we had 4 and very very rarely did I feel that I didnt have time for them, if I have felt guilty it has been when I have been slammed with all kinds of things and those times it wouldnt have mattered if I had had one or four dogs really.

Mind you when we fostered puppydoggy, I felt that even though she was a sweetheart it would have pushed it, five felt for me like, that would have been too many, to really make feel loved and cared for.

I also think it is easier when we have kids, they are all loving the dogs, so they get a lot of attention and love from a lot of people in the house here.

They are also in with us all the time and share the couch and bed with us and I am at home all day, so I feel they get the attention they need.

We also have room both inside and outdoors. So my answer I think will have to be four dogs is my limit.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 06:21:15 am »
Two is my limit right now.  Each dog is so different and needs different amounts of attention.  Plus, two make a big enough mess of my house.  More might put me over the edge.  I am also anti puppy right now.  If the perfect older dog came along then my number would be three.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Tammy A.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 08:27:00 am »
The magic number for us seems to be three dogs.  It looks like we will be well over our 300-pound dog limit at some point.

After much discussion, and many heart-to-hearts, my boyfriend obtained my beloved Koda puppy for my birthday.   Part of our decision making took into account the fact that my BF's chow mix Oden (85 pounds) is 9 and my GSD Rador (90 pounds) is 10.  I don't think I could handle three dogs indefinitely. 

I could never handle more than one puppy at a time though.  it's not just the time, it is the financial concern.  Puppies are expensive - new crate, new toys, endless supply of edible nylabones, obedience, vet bills, treats, special puppy food.  And I can't seem to stop buying collars!!

;D

Tammy

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 09:56:30 am »
I'm thinking 3 is my magic number for right now.  Reason I say right now is the three that I have are so high maintenance, emotion-wise.  They're all very needy, and as stupid as it sounds it takes up alot of my time.  I think if I had a mellow dog or two I could have more. 

Ang

An example of "Mommy pay attention to ME!!!!!"
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 10:43:32 am »
We have 5. 2 were permanent dogs - mine before our marriage, then Rocko for my husband when we got our house. Buster, the beagle, showed up wandering our neighborhood and after spending almost $1000 on 2 heartworm treatments and other health bills he stayed, then Mia, our foster dog that nobody wants and her neurologically damaged puppy that is unadoptable.

Add to that 7 cats and me working 2 jobs and hubby (and Rocko) driving truck and we are definitely OVER our limit. I wish I had more time to spend with them and would desperately love to find Mia a home that could appreciate the wonderful dog she is.

All of my free time is dediated to the cats and dogs, but I think they deserve more. Our lives are better suited for 3 dogs, I think, but since we they chose us we do the best we can. They all seem happy, are healthy and always well-fed.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 10:50:15 am »
Anky, it doesnt seem silly at all that needy dogs take more time, they do, no doubt. I have had both kinds, the ones that are super cool and the ones that are more hyper and need way more attention and is up your face the whole time.

It does drain you more to give and give and give and you still feel like they need more. Hera is a bit like that, she is an airhead a wonderful one but an airhead never the less lol...... She could snuggle and kiss and hug 24/7, Zeus is "normal" if that makes any sense and Galahad is just the coolest, he loves the snuggle and be petted and hug and all that but, he is just a cool boy, who seems very content with everything, Buffy was like that too. I guess that is why we never had a problem having 4 dogs. Mind you had they all been like Hera, I think three would have been an absolut max.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 10:55:02 am »
Billy made the rule in our house "No Additions only Replacements". Right now 3 dogs, 2 horses, 2 cats. For the longest time only 2 dogs, but I managed to convince him we "needed" to get Kiya for Apache to play with because poor Chazzy is too old for the abuse Apache would give her.
In all honesty, I would love more, but with working full time, I would never be able to do it. I feel so guilty if I don't have time to do something with them.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 11:38:29 am »
Not much slobber but all my make up got washed off.  I was trying to get a pic of Sanity and I (Taking the pics myself because my Darling SO is a HORRID photographer), and he wasn't cooperating, so it was taking quite a while and the other two got jealous.  Then Sanity toddled away and left me with the other two.

Some more pics of him not cooperating... .

"Ma, what're you doing?"

"I love my Mommy!"

Various pictures of him struggling to get away.

"MA!  I can't breathe!"

"I hate you"

"OK this sucks"

"Hobo SAVE me!"

Here's where the other two got me after he left.

BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."