Author Topic: Retitled post: No, maybe, no, maybe, no, later.  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Retitled post: No, maybe, no, maybe, no, later.
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:18:08 am »
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pet/565603181.html

I just sent an email to the person posting asking for more info. I also sent the link to my hubby, but those of you who read my "Need to vent - frustrated and bummed" post can probably guess what his answer will be! :(
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 07:10:02 pm by Ali »
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: Any one in Northern California interested in a gorgeous mastiff?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 09:41:44 am »
So, I sent this link to my hubby, and all he said was that he didn't like how she looked (??). She looks pretty to me! But, he did NOT freak out. So....I sent a couple other pics of some pups I'd like to meet that are at a sort of nearby shelter. And he doesn't comment. OK. Then HE sends ME a link for a dog!

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10080291

So my initial reaction is that he's kind of funny looking, but cute in his own way. I have always wanted a black dog, so he fits that. I read up on the breed (check the link if you wanna know which breed!) and it seems like this guy is really worth meeting. He's been at the rescue a long time, and from what I've read, his breed in black is frequently overlooked and "undesireable" - people prefer the apricots. Poor black puppy! I want to meet him!So hubby gets home from work, and I bring it up. He says he REALLY wants to get some stuff caught up (financially) before we add another dog!!!! Is he TRYING to make me INSANE??? Reject my desire to have a pup, then send me a pup link, then say "well, I think we should wait". I love my hubby to bits but I think he's gone bonkers. And he's trying to take me with him, I'm pretty sure...  :-\

Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: Retitled post: No, maybe, no, maybe, no, later.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:11:35 pm »
Well, hubby agreed that we could meet him...Anyone have any info for me on Goldendoodles?  ;D
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:17:13 pm »
Well, hubby agreed that we could meet him...Anyone have any info for me on Goldendoodles?  ;D

Oh my gosh!! This makes me so happy! I would've been going nuts now if I were you!! He is making ME crazy. hahaha

It's so funny because I was just typing a response to your post and I accidentally lost it somehow then I came back, and the post had a new title, then the good news!

Good Luck!!! I don't know much about goldendoodles but I hear they are really great dogs. Great Temperament. I really hope it works out.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 07:22:15 pm »
I actually no 3 people who have goldendoodles - one is about a year old, one about 4 and one is a 10 week old puppy who I just met a few days ago.

Rosie - the puppy - obviously to young to know much but she is cute; and my friend said really smart doing well potty training and just wants to be with the family at all times.

The one year old - the name escapes me - is larger than most goldens; lives with a family with 2 younger kids and seems well behaved she came to our neighborhood picnic last year and did really well with many strange people and foods.

The 4 year old - I love and the mother raves about she thinks the dog should be in college that is how smart she is - when she is at baseball games with her family she is the nicest dog but if you go to her house she is a total watchdog until the family gives you the OK.

Since we are both kind of in the same boat with hubbies may I just offer a bit of advise?  Be careful he may give in because we nag so much but he may still resent the dog and hold it against the dog.  My hubby didn't want Harley he wanted a springer spaniel and he and harley have never bonded.  He isn't mean to him - just not overly nice either.

Best of luck

Randy

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:26:34 pm »
I have done one board and train for a Goldendoodle (don't seem to be as common as the labradoodles). The dog was smart and VERY VERY active.
They do often shed and they do need grooming...Hol ly (groomer...shes on here maybe she'll respond) says she recommends every 6 weeks just like a St. Poodle. By the looks of this ones coat I would say you will be doing about the same.

Since they are a mix of the GR and poodle you may want to research those 2 breeds.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 07:37:01 pm »
I have a friend with one and I see them at the dog parks a lot. All I can say "HYPER, HYPER, HYPER!" But very sweet and affectionate  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 07:53:17 pm »
Looks like you're wearing him down, girl!! Just don't jump at getting THIS dog if he's not perfect for your family just because he's the only one hubby agreed to meet.

I agree, he may resent the decision if he's not 100% on board. Let him make the decision. Tell him CALMLY it's up to him so he can't come back later and say you badgered him into getting the dog.  He has to want the dog, not just want to get you to stop nagging. Sorry, I don't intend to be mean, I just saw this same thing happen to my parents. My mom wanted another dog so bad and ended up nagging my dad until he said, "whatever you want, dear" then he complained about the dog a lot at first. Some people really need to plan their spontaneous decisions. I'm kind of like that so I can understand where he is coming from.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 08:45:22 pm »
That's not mean at all - it's definately right on. We'll meet the pup and see how it goes. I am still waiting to hear back from the rescue. For all I know, they won't consider us due to my kids ages (which is retarded - should be case by case). But if they approve my application, we'll meet him, then foster him for two weeks to make sure it's a fit, THEN they do the final adoption. It seems like a good system. But yes, it has to be up to hubby. Actually, I probably wouldn't have chosen a doodle, but again, case by case. My neighbors have an apricot goldendoodle and that has been my only exposure to the breed. Turns out he's super soft and really sweet. He has romped around with Tani and they had a good time together. I'm hoping "Horatio" is like that. Dreadful name, though. That will need to go. No offense if anyone has a pet, friend or family member with that name! :P
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:01:58 pm »
That is an awesome adoption procedure! I love that you have to foster him for two weeks before the adoption process is complete.

And, I love the name "Horatio"!! I think you should keep it, if you get him, that is.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 03:03:15 am »
Well, it turns out that Horatio was adopted and went to his new home today. That's awesome for him - apparently he had zero training, and they were looking for a home that was willing to work with wild Horatio, which they found. It's great news! See me smile? :-\
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 08:34:40 am »
Back to square one. There are like 5 dogs I want to go see at a shelter, and hubby won't even look at the pictures. I give up! ???
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie