Author Topic: Pick-up trucks  (Read 1868 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Pick-up trucks
« on: September 10, 2007, 11:06:28 pm »
My BF drives a pick up truck and we are trying to decide how we can take Teddy with us (safely!) when we want to take the truck.

My thoughts are to put an anchor right in the middle towards the front and then allow him a short leash so he can stick his nose out the side but not get his feet out.

Anyone have any experience/idea about this? 

I think Ted would have a blast (my current vehicle he gets stuck in the back without even a window!)  I can see those big lips flappin' already!  LOL!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:07:24 pm by PennyK »
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Pick-up trucks
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 11:16:25 pm »
i saw someone do that once and the dog still managed to get its read end over the side and almost fell out.  it was awful.  the only way *i'd* do it is to get a crate and secure it then put a pupper in.  that's what we did when we had our PU.  but that's just me, i'm kinda paranoid about that to start with.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 11:22:46 pm »
i saw one custom made that fit two great danes when i was in ms.  it was so cool, and had extra height and length so they could move around a little.  had little bars going down the sides for ventilation, etc.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:36:39 pm »
We used to tote our dogs around in the back of our pick up. We had this device called "The Dog Hauler". It was a long piece of nylon webbing that clipped to the hook-y things on the inside of the bed. In the middle of it was a short tether that clipped to their collar.

It always made me nervous to use it. I was afraid that the dogs would get flipped out, or if we got in an accident they'd be really hurt. Then, one time, a rescue that we had (Kiva an adorable GSD) somehow got one of the clips unhooked and hooked on her paw and was SCREAMING! That was the end of that! We didn't use it anymore.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:56:41 pm »
I have no advice, as hubby isn't allowed (nor would he anyway) put the dogs in the bed, so they have to sit behind his seats in the space back there..which well now that they're bigger of course will fit only one lol (small truck). BUT, I would think they would get beat around there a lot turning and what not, falling down and maybe getting hurt? I know you said a short lead but when I was a kid we had 2 Goldens and were moving and my Dad took our dogs to the new house in the back of his truck.. I forget where he tied their leashes but when he got to the house one of my dogs- he was very large..decided he wanted out and over the side he went only to get hung up on his leash and was choking..thank god we were standing right there and my mom started screaming for my dad to come help free him. It was awful. We thought for sure he was going to snap his neck on the way down,  but thankfully it ended up okay.

I'd be entirely too paranoid to ever have them back there. What I never understand is people that just stick them in the back and expect them to stay there. I'd never trust a dog to do that. The crate idea sounds much better!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 12:03:31 am by mama2many »

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:04:53 am »
I wanted to get a pick up truck so bad.. However, being that fumble is such a big guy i don't think there's any way to safely fit him in.  I know that Rich, Winslow's Dad has a PU, but it's a 4 seater and he can fit winslow in the back.  But i'm not sure how to do it with a 2 seater.. hmmm??? did you look anything up on the internet?
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 12:48:06 am »
not to mention if it's too warm and they burn their pads, or too cold and it makes them irritated  :-\
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)