Author Topic: Finally! Some answers for Belle!  (Read 3545 times)

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • When There's A Will, There's A Way
Finally! Some answers for Belle!
« on: September 22, 2006, 12:28:23 pm »
Well, a couple of weeks ago, we sent off blood work on Belle since she just isn't getting any better.  She isn't getting worse, but no better.  We got the results back today and she is hypothyroid!  I know that isn't good news, but it is good news that it is something that can be simply treated, we know what is going on, and once she starts her medicine (tomorrow morning!) she should start improving.

The downside is she'll have to be on the meds for life, but thyroid medicine is cheap cheap, so hopefully that won't have an impact on her getting a forever home.

Here's a couple of pictures from Wednesday when we all went out to play:

Emily and the gang

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Finally! Some answers for Belle!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 12:48:01 pm »
It must be a huge relief to find out not only what is wrong with Belle but that it is treatable!

Kirsti

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:06:14 pm »
What good news for Belle that it isn't anything worse.  The pictures are great, looks like fun!

~K

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 03:59:52 pm »
YIPPPEEEEE!!!!  I'm so glad to know that it's treatable!  And it is so cheap...But you'll have to be ultra careful with the home she goes to to make sure she gets her meds.  Scarey considering her history.  She's lucky she found you!

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 02:14:48 pm »
Just a little update, Belle got her weekly skin scraping today and it was negative!  Last week, I found one dead mite.

If she has three consecutive negaticve scrapings, she can officially come off her demodex treatment.  She is looking great.  She's on the Thyroxine twice daily until October 10th, then she'll move to once daily.  Then, a couple of weeks after that, we'll retest her levels and re-evaluate the dose of her medicine.

A lady from another board is looking into what she may can do about getting her into Dane rescue or something, which would be awesome!  Please keep fingers crossed for her!
Emily and the gang

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 03:37:10 am »
Update!  Belle had her third skin scraping since the first negative scrpaing (make sense?) and it was negative!  So, currently, Belle is deemed Demodex free!  Whoo-hoo!

The lady on the other board I mentioned never emailed me back, so, unfortunately, Belle isn't going anywhere anytime soon  :-[

She is one of the most looked at on petfinder according to the stats they sent me, so hopefully, she will find a good home soon.  I really can't keep her!  I haven't had a successful adoption in I don't know how long, I've been at a standstill.
Emily and the gang

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 03:42:03 am »
Yeah for Belle!!  What a long and $$$$ haul for you guys.  Best wishes Belle for the perfect people to come along!!
Krista, Cosmo (Goofus), Sadie (THE BOSS) and Sammie (Sweet Boy)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Luvmydanes

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 05:27:51 am »
that is great for Belle! Yay!! I hope you guys can find a great home for her soon. Fingers crossed!