Author Topic: Blue eyes  (Read 1996 times)

Offline LClemenson@msn.com

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Blue eyes
« on: October 03, 2006, 02:16:22 pm »
I have a Border Collie (8 Months) who has light blue eyes.  When we got her, I researched but could not find any information which made this a negative.  She is a sweet, active dog, but one of our behavioral problems involves her facination with light and shadows.  She goes absolutely bonkers. She gets very frenzied and I am afraid she will hurt herself not to mention the stress on us. Has anybody heard of 'wall eyed' BC's being particularly light sensitive?

Luvmydanes

Re: Blue eyes
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 02:18:16 pm »
Hi, welcome to big paws!

My neighbor actually has a border collie who has very blue eyes. I haven't noticed her having a problem with lights or shadows though. Does it just make your pup really hyper?

Offline LClemenson@msn.com

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 02:20:22 pm »
She gets uncontrolable, all our training goes by the wayside. She seems under stress, not just overstimulated .

Luvmydanes

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 02:32:47 pm »
Yeah Jasmine likes shadows too now that I think about it...its like a game to her.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 03:06:17 pm »
I think it depends on how light the blue eyes are that normally have an effect on light sensitivity.  I think the glass eyes (extremely light blue) are normally more light sensitive than regular blue eyes.  If that makes any sense. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 05:07:43 pm »
I am (possibly) getting a glass eyed Aussie pup, and any info on it, please share!

BC obsessivness is WAAAAAY different than GD-ness. they can get so wound-up they will bite someone if you try to stop them. aussies too. they just enter into their own little world, and they can be a danger to themselves. ugh! herding dogs! can't live w/ 'em, can't live w/o 'em. eh, it soooooooo worth it! ok, you got me into my "i-wanna-BC" mode!!! lol...

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

chaosndestruction

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 06:15:28 am »
I don't know about BC's and blue eyes...but my dad's Husky mix has extremely light blue eyes and he does't chase shadows.

I'd say talking to your vet would be a good thing to do just to make sure there's nothing wrong with your dogs vision...it might just be your dogs own little weird obsession.