Author Topic: Swollen jowls on my Rottweiler  (Read 8792 times)

Offline charlotte5050

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Swollen jowls on my Rottweiler
« on: July 02, 2005, 07:15:08 am »
I went outside the other morning to say good morning to Loki.  I was shocked to find that her whole jowl area under her chin was horribly swollen up.  She looked like she had swallowed a softball.

By the time the vets office opened it was as large as a melon.  We live quite a ways out of town, so I called my vet.  He asked the obvious questions: snakebite? dogfight?  These were pretty much ruled out.  We are assuming that it was from a hornet sting (they hang around the water bucket and dog house).  He had me put her on mega doses of benadryl for 3 days.  The swelling is mostly down now, but a hard knot the size of a golf ball remains under her chin.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to their furkids?  

Leerburg Kennels has a good informative board that has a lot of health information.  The people there put me into a panic.  One posted that her GSD had this happen and was dead by evening.  Another posted that his was fine one day and swollen the next day.  He had a melanoma and had to be put down.

I want to err on the side of caution.  If the rest of the swelling and the knot are not better by Tuesday, I will be taking her to the Vet.  It's time for her shots, anyway.  

BTW - tomorrow - JULY 3 will be her first birthday!

Thanks for being here.

Charlotte
Charlotte

ann

Re: Swollen jowls on my Rottweiler
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 07:27:53 am »

loki propably got bit by a bug and had a allergic reaction ..one of my boxers gets huge welts from masquotes so i spray a natural repelant on him its made for horses but is safe for dogs too and it last 24 hours   ..becareful i've hears of dogs getting bit in or on the mouth and thier throat swells up and the can't breath...i would change the water alot and spray a pestaside....g ood luck i hope loki gets better fast let us know.......... ...........

and happy b-day loki

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 08:17:16 am »
Poor  Baby :'( She will be fine ;) Happy Birthday ;D

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 08:49:59 am »
Yes, I would rather err on the side of caution as well.  I want as much information as is available, positive or negative, so I can weigh the options and not miss anything.  :)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 01:29:19 pm »
Happy Birthday Loki

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 03:35:13 pm »
I was just on a site for Vizslas and there was a pic of one with a spider bite. The swelling was huge on this poor guy. Very similar to what you are describing. I tried to post the pic but it will not work. Try www.trader.co. nz/vizsla/shared.htm
I hope this helps and Loki is doing much better.

nickerbokker

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 04:13:45 pm »
oh poor poor puppies!  thats horrible!

good luck loki!  and happy birthday!

Offline charlotte5050

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Swollen jowls on my Rottweiler-Update
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 05:25:35 pm »
The swelling is all gone, the lump is gone and she is back to her normal loving self.  Not that she ever wasn't loving - I just appreciate her more now!  It was a traumatic experience that I had not had with any of my dogs my entire life!  

She, of course, just ate up all the extra attention that she was getting!  She now thinks she should be in the house 24/7! If my husband would agree, she would be.  Maybe I will put him in the "dog house" and Loki in the "people house"!  LOL!  She is WAY more loving than he is!  (At least, she shows it more!)

Thanks for everything.... ......
Charlotte
Charlotte