Author Topic: talked to a newfie owner in my neighborhood...  (Read 9218 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
talked to a newfie owner in my neighborhood...
« on: August 18, 2006, 04:55:49 pm »
 okay, well, i posted a couple of days ago that in 2 weeks i will be bringing home my very own black female newfie. there is a man who lives nearby that owns a newf and tonight while outside with my golden retriever he and his newf happend to walk by. my husband and i, who have spoken with him before, went over and said hello and told him we are getting a newf. we talked for a few minutes and asked him a couple questions. he told me that newf puppies are very hyper for the first 2 years of their life and he also kind of implied that a newf and a golden retriever wouldnt be a good combo.
 so...now im getting a little worried. what do you guys think? i thought a golden and a newf would be good together. my golden is only 8 months but hes very calm in the house. he only gets crazy when people come over (and we are trying to break him of that!).
  any thoughts?

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: talked to a newfie owner in my neighborhood...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 05:08:08 pm »
I don't know anything about newf's but what breed isn't "hyper for the first two years"? Seems so many of them are. Maybe *his* newf and a golden aren't the right mix. From what I can tell from the board, I don't see why you should be worried. Unles of course you saw that scary picture of Angus posted the other day!

Good luck. I am sure you have nothing to worry about. Hopefully other with newf experience will chime in andd reassure you too!
lmt.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 06:05:50 pm »
I can only input saying at Newfies and Goldens get along with EVERYDODY... hee hee.

Also helps while growing up they at least been around.

No worries

mjjensen

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 02:04:44 am »
  Duncan is only my second Newf and I've never had a Golden(I've had several Labs) so I'm not an expert by any means but I don't agree with your neighbor either. Newfs mature slower than smaller breeds so the puppy stages may last longer but neither of mine were ever what I would call hyper. I think you are more likely to find a hyper Golden than a hyper Newf. I got Duncan when Sam and Max were about 7 months old and they get along great. The fact that your Golden is still a puppy may be to your advantage as far as introducing a new dog to your family although multiple puppys can be a lot of work. At least in my case having three puppys all growing up together has been a lot of fun!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 02:18:05 am »
The play must be supervised, if the play gets out of hand, to where the newf pup is getting slammed around, it is bad for joints on a rapidly growing giant breed pup.
you can do it, but, both must be crated when they cannot be supervised.
if your golden is from hunting lineage, you must must must be ever vigilant that the newf pup does not get hurt.
To add to this, he is right, newfs are BOISTEROUS and can be out of hand unless they are trained and worked with.
if you let this pup have the run of the yard, it is a no no
you must take this pup out on leash to do potty and poo.
you must do this for the first nine months, otherwise having to much freedom and a buddy to boot, the respect will not be given you.
they are thinking dogs that need to be worked.
they are working dogs that go stale and get obnoxious if they are not worked.
many obedience classes are a must.
what does your breeder say?
i am surprised they did not educate you???
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 02:20:46 am by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 03:07:12 am »
From what I've seen & read I don't agree with your neighbor...As far as Newf pups being hyper I guess that would depend on the individual dog....Sam & Pippin have been so layed back (ages 2 & 1 & 1/2) they would be in a coma if any more relaxed...lol. ..& this is from the time I got them at 13 & 1/2 weeks & 5 months old...Our new Pyr pup Sheba is like the energizer bunny...lol!
I am sure if you keep your pup excercised & socialized he will be just fine!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 03:09:12 am »
yours are the exception to the rule gypsy, i have working newfs, very intelligent, the gal who posted originally is free to message me, i have several puppy people who will say different.
i also see many posts on another newf board where the pup has gotten out of control, and is terribly boisterous.
do not be fooled.
this is a working dog, intelligent full of energy.
some lines are to laid back for my taste.
Photography by Christine

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 03:30:40 am »
yours are the exception to the rule gypsy, i have working newfs, very intelligent, the gal who posted originally is free to message me, i have several puppy people who will say different.
i also see many posts on another newf board where the pup has gotten out of control, and is terribly boisterous.
do not be fooled.
this is a working dog, intelligent full of energy.
some lines are to laid back for my taste.

My dogs are Great Pyrenees not Newfs, sar...I was just commenting on the different personalities of dogs of the same breed. :)
I do agree fully that with intelligent working breeds of dogs that they need to be handled in an informed manner so your pup turns out to be a dog that is well adjusted. :)
Our new girl, Sheba is 6 months old & we rescued her...I talked to her previous owners & with that & my own personal observations with ehr it is easy to see she wasn't raised correctly...Sh e is out of control with "naughtiness"...but is already doing better under my care...but it is obvious she was left to do what she wanted...This one is a handful! :-\ :D

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 03:34:05 am »
I would think the golden retriever would be more energetic than the newf, just based on their build and my experience around goldens.  Never owned a golden, so no direct experience really.  Just the labs I've been around have been wild-childs for the first couple of years.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

mjjensen

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 03:52:33 am »
 I also didn't mean to imply that my guys were laid back as puppys. And I agree that the play sessions need to be supervised as they can get rough which isn't good for a growing large breed pup. The point I was trying to make was that "hyper for two years" seems to be a bit of an exageration. The Labs we had were far more "hyper" ,and stubborn ,and hard-headed than either of the Newfs ever were.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 04:16:43 am »
I dont consider it an exaggeration, the breed was bred to save lives and to act as soon as distress is seen, they are bred to solve problems, with that comes boisterous behavior, and, at two they still can be a handful, yours are prolly so well behaved becouse you trained them well.
big difference from someone inexperienced with the working class of dog that is a thinker.
no offense was intended you.
i see to many breeders not educating, nor telling the truth of what can happen if they are raised incorrectly, they want the money, say hi a few times after the pup leaves and are not an integral coach to puppy buyers.
with that comes problems becouse a newf is much different than a golden, a golden wants to please, a newf thinks and solves problems and works.
Photography by Christine

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 04:23:56 am »
I think that every one is going to have their own opinions on this based on how their own fur kids were during their puppy months. Just be sure to do your research about the breeds and give them supervision while they are still young and growing. Talk to your vet as well when you take the new kid in. The fact that you came here looking for advice was a positive step. You're not going in to this blind and that's smart! But, stay EXCITED!
lmt.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 04:30:42 am »
See i thought you said you had two newfs besides! :P LOL
anyway, i hope i made the point, that the training is a must and the breeder hopefully will point out the good and bad, the grooming the care the everything.
if not, i would run and run fast.
as far as them being active, i tell you, the lines i deal with keep you on your toes, and i am happy for that, becouse i see so much potential in the drive necessary to do the job, the thinking processes they have, and people can support what i say, and, the challenge is met with proper time spent with the pup, proper techniques used in training them.
A vet is good for medical advice but, they normally like to see newfs 10 pounds over what they should be, they also do not know dietary needs, they are medical.

your breeder should coach you on the proper diet and stay in close contact with the growth the pup experiences, many pups will grow differently and require different nutricion at certain points in their growth.
Kudos to the pyr for being a good girl now ;) and kudos to you for being so dedicated! ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 04:38:44 am by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 04:38:56 am »
Let's remember that all people do have different expereince, points of view and various resources to lean on for advice. There are many people in the world who can help keep you going in the correct direction in addition to your breeder.
My vet, for example, specializes in large breeds and has her own giants at home so she helps to recommend great advice. Many other vets that we've dealt with have also had great nuggets of wisdom- including diet- which we greatly appreciated.

By the way, Bear has a great line, great breeder, great life and was the most laid back puppy ever! His siblings were also pretty chill too.  ;D Now as a grown up he is even more fun to hang out with but is still one very cool cat.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 04:48:51 am »
Lulu,
I thought I would let you know that my best friend has a Golden and our dogs were the best of friends. I also know a few people who have Newfies & Goldens together in the same household and they do just fine. As long as you are consistent in your training practices and love them equally you'll do just fine. Good luck!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.