Author Topic: Info on adding a rescue to the pack?  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Info on adding a rescue to the pack?
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:43:31 am »
I know a lot of you all have adopted older dogs and am wondering how they and your other dogs have gotten along.  I would like to get another dog but am nervous about adopting an older dog b/c I am afraid that he/she may not get along with the ones we already have.
I looked into Pyr rescue before we got Binky and I was kind of turned off rescue by the attitude of some of the people there.  I found them kind of unwillinging to help...  Also, with a Pyr, I was nervous about the dynamics of bringing in a large, more dominant breed.
I would like to get a Leonberger next or maybe a mix...  Just wondering what kind of experiences you've had with introducing new grown dogs to the pack as I've only had experience with introducing young puppies.  Thanks!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Info on adding a rescue to the pack?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 11:57:00 am »
We rescued Moose from the Humane Society , at the time I had a little Miniature Schnauzer and Moose just fit right in so perfectly ! He was a year old when we got him . Two years later we rescued a Great Pyr from the same place , I had brought Moose there to meet her and they seemed great together so we brought her home , after 4 months of them fighting non-stop we had to rehome her  :'( They thought she was about 3 years old when we got her . So I've had a good experience and a bad one . I guess if I ever rescued an adult dog again I'd adopt one from an actual rescue that would work with us on getting to bring the new dog home to meet the family and see how it does here , also since they've probably been fostered for awhile you'll have an idea of what their personality is like and such , unlike adopting a dog from the HS that you know nothing about . I hope that helps  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 12:11:33 pm »
I am quite sure there will be others here to offer greater advice. In May 05' we adopted Libby she will be 5yrs this Jan 07'. In our home we already had Hoover who will be 13yrs in Dec. Before that we had another dog until Dec 04' so Hoover was used to having others around, Libby came to us from the states after trying to find a rescue that our family fit close to home with no luck, anyways we brought Libby into our backyard and had Hoover on the other side of our deck (we have it fenced in) and really right from day one they have been fine, she is the best girl we could have asked for they eat out of the same bowls, play with the same toys, sleep on the same bed, she has had no real major troubles what so ever 'fitting into' our home it is like she has always been here, and best of all she loves kids, not just mine but all kids. It was the best choice ever. Hope this helps alittle, Kim

I would also adopt from a sheter/rescue that house their animals in foster care only, don't be discouraged by a breed by one group, there are plenty of others out there just waiting for you to come along
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:15:44 pm by LibbyP »
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 12:33:12 pm »
Ok, if that isn't the cutest picture I have ever seen, I don't know WHAT is. My lord. That is LOVE right there.

Hmm...well, I've added rescues here and there for various periods of time. Cabeza will pretty much tolerate anyone. He doesn't care. Right now he's grumbling at our new foster Mason, but its only grumbles. I think that a lot of it depends on the personality of your current dog and the manner in which you introduce them.

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 02:53:09 pm »
Ok, if that isn't the cutest picture I have ever seen, I don't know WHAT is. My lord. That is LOVE right there.

Hmm...well, I've added rescues here and there for various periods of time. Cabeza will pretty much tolerate anyone. He doesn't care. Right now he's grumbling at our new foster Mason, but its only grumbles. I think that a lot of it depends on the personality of your current dog and the manner in which you introduce them.

Thank you I think they are kinda cute as well ;D , I totally agree with the temperment of your current dog, and the one your planning on adopting, male/female I think is a personal choice(IMO)
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 04:27:53 pm »
I add fosters into my pack all the time, and they have a wide range of temperments.  I must say that I might go overboard for some, but it works for us and we haven't had an ER visit yet(due to that).. *knock on wood*

I don't like to introduce them right away to each other, instead I play swingshift for at least a day to get them used to each other's scents.  I have them potty in the same area, so that they can sniff each other's scents outside as well.  Then I'll slowly introduce them one on one, with the foster being on a loose leash inside(because I know that my guys will listen to me to back off or whatnot).  I can usually tell right away by the body language if I should cut it short and wait a while longer. 

After they have met for awhile, I'll integrate them into the pack/household for longer periods(and make sure to drag the leash when they're out, JIC).  This worked extremely well on my first foster; a crazy untrained, older, recently neutered, outside lab/goldenx named Max.  So I've used it to varying degrees with other dogs who've stayed with us for long periods. 

Most recently I've used it on "evil wiggles", my mom's chow/gsd, who is staying here until she finds a new home.  My guys "knew" her because she visited a lot, but things were chaotic when she came to live here since Wiggles has a very dominant personality.  She also has a high prey drive and went after Kida almost every chance she could.  Now, after the slow introduction period(and a couple of grabs on Wiggles part), they all have free reign together and they all sleep loose inside.  So, it worked out nicely. 

Good luck on finding the right new addition to your home.  I'm sure the perfect one will come along soon.  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 06:17:37 am »
Thnaks for your insight everyone!  I will give this some thought.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat