Author Topic: Need Help Please – Satellite Radio  (Read 4650 times)

k2campbell

Need Help Please – Satellite Radio
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:16:52 am »
Eric’s 30th birthday is in May, and he’s been “hinting” that he’d like satellite radio. So, I’m thinking that’s what I’ll get him…

I know the choices are XM or Sirius for providers – anyone have a preference? So far, everyone I’ve asked (friends, co-workers) have suggested Sirius, so I’m leaning towards that. Eric’s mostly a music guy, he will listen to the sports stuff, Howard Stern’s talk show, that kind of thing (once and a while) but mostly he’ll be tuned in to strictly music…

Now, the part that’s really confusing me is the merchandise. I want something that isn’t installed into his truck, something that would work like an Ipod (just mounted in there) and could be removed easily, daily. I was thinking of getting him a portable system he could use both in the car and in the house. I looked on the Best Buy website and am SO confused!!! Some systems have a built-in FM tuner, others’ don’t. Some say they can be used both in the car and in the house, but they don’t say how they can be used in the house. Do they plug into the computer, the stereo?

Argh – I guess being “technical” isn’t my strong-suit, and I’m sure me being pregnant really helps too (ha ha)… Anyhow I’m looking for a portable system that includes everything he’ll need (I don’t want to have to go and buy an adapter for this, a wire for that, etc)…

Any help anyone could provide would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance (and sorry this ended up being so long) GOSH!  ;D

Kelly

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Please – Satellite Radio
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 06:41:57 am »
I'm no help at all with technical stuff ,sorry ! LOL But , my parents gave my hubby (who drives truck) an XM radio for his b-day and he loves it ! He only listens to music too . I love it , I try to steal it from him whenever possible ! LOL I love that there aren't any commercials , and we live in such a rural area we can't hardly get any stations in here , plus , South Dakota is always a month or two behind when releasing new songs .LOL Anyways , my hubby's got one where it just plugs into the lighter dealy ( didn't I say I was no good with technical stuff ? LOL ) and it's got a small antenna you just stick on the roof , and then the radio itself just clips onto anything ( we clip it onto the vent on the dashboard) . I've heard you can buy a "docking station" for the house and I'm wanting one when we catch up on bills !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 06:45:54 am »
i used to have an XM.  How it works, is they will install a mounting in the vehicle.  The face/radio pops in and out of the mounting so then you can use it inside if you have the radio (same concept as the Ipod radios).  You just pop the face into the radio/system inside and when he is in his truck he takes it and pops it into the mounting. 
I am kind of a big deal!

k2campbell

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 06:53:53 am »
Thanks Amy & Stacy  :)

I will look into my options further. I'm thinking what I want to buy him is the one you're speaking of Amy, as the one Stacey is speaking of (that mounts) has an installation charge at Best Buy, and it seems very pricey to me...also I don't think hubby would want his stereo faceplate that came with his truck removed and replaced with the XM/Sirius radio's faceplate, know what I mean? I think he'd prefer the clip version, then I could get the docking station for in the house...my goodness all this techincal stuff is just too much!  :P :D

THANKS for the info ladies - it helps! ;D ;)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 07:01:21 am »
Oh, they dont' replace the existing stereo, at least with mine they didn't.  It was a seperate piece, it had a mounted bracket that the satelite radio snapped into.  Then I turned my radio to station whatever (87.9 or something) and I tuned in my XM.  Then whenever you want to use it inside it just mounts into the system in your house.
I am kind of a big deal!

k2campbell

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 07:10:04 am »
Oh, they dont' replace the existing stereo, at least with mine they didn't.  It was a seperate piece, it had a mounted bracket that the satelite radio snapped into.  Then I turned my radio to station whatever (87.9 or something) and I tuned in my XM.  Then whenever you want to use it inside it just mounts into the system in your house.
Oh, sorry - got the baby-brain working in overdrive, I misunderstood  ;) So did yours plug into the lighter socket in your car too then? And in the house, would it plug into something (or did you have to just tune into a certain station inside)?

Thanks! ;)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 07:14:38 am »
Oh, sorry - got the baby-brain working in overdrive, I misunderstood  ;) So did yours plug into the lighter socket in your car too then? And in the house, would it plug into something (or did you have to just tune into a certain station inside)?

Thanks! ;)
Don't worry, I am no stranger to PREGNESIA.  The mounting was wired into my car stereo system (it did not affect my existing stereo or CD changer) and then the XM face just plugged into the mounting bracket and I would tune to the station and have my satelite radio.  If I wanted to take it inside (I never had the indoor system) I just had to purchase the "stereo" type thingamajig (technical term) and plug it into that and it would work.  It didn't plug into the lighter, it was just wired into the stereo system.
I am kind of a big deal!

k2campbell

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 07:34:53 am »

Thanks! ;)
Don't worry, I am no stranger to PREGNESIA.  The mounting was wired into my car stereo system (it did not affect my existing stereo or CD changer) and then the XM face just plugged into the mounting bracket and I would tune to the station and have my satelite radio.  If I wanted to take it inside (I never had the indoor system) I just had to purchase the "stereo" type thingamajig (technical term) and plug it into that and it would work.  It didn't plug into the lighter, it was just wired into the stereo system.

Cool, thanks Stacey  ;) Ah yes, PREGNESIA!!! That's the term I was looking for!  ;D OK, it is the wiring that Best Buy wants to charge crazy for out here, so I think I would need to look into the "adapter" form (plugging into the lighter) to avoid the install charges. Silly, but they over-charge here, it's crazy ... ;)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 07:48:42 am »
I have the XM in my car, though I no longer subscribe to it cause I never used it. Hubby had Sirius and loved it, he says it's way better than XM. I got my sis Sirius for Christmas too cause she is nuts about Howard Stern and she loves it.

If you still would like some help, I can ask hubby when he gets home because that is what he does for a living, is install all of that stuff. He's a wealth of knowledge, probably more than you want to know. ;) So luckily, he installs all the stuff in my car.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 07:49:37 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline Gill

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 08:05:32 am »
I am asking my son...he used to work at Radio Shack.  First you need to buy the radio/reciever. That comes with the car kit. To get it to work in the house you will need to purchase a home kit, this will come with the docking station and all cables neccessary. He has also mentioned that you can get an installation card from any retailer, that should cost about $50 and Sirrius can tell you your nearest installer. It will be installed to work off the existing stereo in the car.
Hope this helps.
Bogie 9y.o Blue-fronted Amazon Parrot
Montague 1 year old St Bernard Puppy

All the while you have a dog you will be loved.

k2campbell

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 08:55:57 am »
If you still would like some help, I can ask hubby when he gets home because that is what he does for a living, is install all of that stuff. He's a wealth of knowledge, probably more than you want to know. ;) So luckily, he installs all the stuff in my car.
Thanks Kristina, that would be great. If you could please just let him know I'm looking for the "easiest" and most cost effective method for doing this. I'd prefer not to have anything installed if possible (but if that's the only way) then I'll do that. Looking for a portable system that can be taken from the car to the house. Thanks for your help  ;)

k2campbell

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 09:18:24 am »
I am asking my son...he used to work at Radio Shack.  First you need to buy the radio/reciever. That comes with the car kit. To get it to work in the house you will need to purchase a home kit, this will come with the docking station and all cables neccessary. He has also mentioned that you can get an installation card from any retailer, that should cost about $50 and Sirrius can tell you your nearest installer. It will be installed to work off the existing stereo in the car.
Hope this helps.
It helps - thanks Gill! Thank your son too  ;)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 11:15:28 am »
it all depends on what kind of budget you're looking for.  the best option is the sirius stiletto.  http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=2119511&catParentID=7877&scId=7877
that one includes everything you need for the car, and you can purchase the home kit for about 50 bucks to listen to it in the house.  that is a good unit because as he's doing yardwork, he can clip it on his belt and listen to it with the earphones as you put him to work. and if you call sirius you can usually talk them down in price a bit  ;) 

i would HIGHLY recommend sirius.  i've had both, and sirius offers a LOT more programming options.  if he likes sports, sirius pretty much has them all now.  they've taken pretty much everything from xm, and for music they offer quite a bit more as well.  XM's playlists seem to be quite a bit shorter than the ones on sirius.  plus sirius has the blue collar comedy channel (my personal favorite):)

for a bit less, the starmate will save you some money, but can not be used as a personal player if that is something you would like.  personally i would pick the stiletto because of that reason alone, but that's just me.

any other questions, just ask kristina.  she knows way more about this than i do :)

k2campbell

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 02:12:52 am »
any other questions, just ask kristina.  she knows way more about this than i do :)
Thank-you!  ;)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 11:42:41 am »
I hope that helped. I told him to type it as clear and easy to understand as he could. He has a tendency to get all wordy when it comes to cars and lose people. ::)