Author Topic: We almost had a little paw :(  (Read 1662 times)

mama23+pyrs2

We almost had a little paw :(
« on: June 23, 2007, 01:38:44 am »
I'm so depressed about it still. I found this Japanese Spaniel in a rescue here in Tampa and filled out an app for him w/out knowing his fee..since you have to have that done before you talk to someone. So, they told me he was having a meet with a couple today and they may adopt him. Then I got a call yesterday from his foster mom saying the meeting was cancelled and I was her next choice, we arranged for me to drive up there tomorrow to meet him. But the money just wasn't going to be there. :( His fee was $250..which is very reasonable considering that he's set with stuff for a year and all his care but we just can't manage to shell that out for another dog right now. We were hoping to find a doggy with a lower adoption fee and we've been looking all over the place. We've been to so many shelters here..every one in our area and we drove an hour yesterday to another one. Emma fell in love with another dog only to find out he wasn't available. :(

Every place we've been she's been heartbroken. We find some online and then get there and they are gone already etc.. I feel so bad for her. I really wanted this guy to work, he was the PERFECT dog for her, everything we were looking for in a little dog. Sigh. Oh well, we'll keep looking.

I hated to email the lady back and tell her no. I felt so terrible about it, but I bought a few items off their wishlist to help out a little..as much as I could anyway.

:-\

mama23+pyrs2

Re: We almost had a little paw :(
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 02:03:43 am »
Yeah I know you're right. I did think about that and I kept telling that to hubby too, we just weren't prepared to put so much on one up front.. Emma is still saving though. :)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 03:18:40 am »
Check this out originally they were suppose to be doberman puppies but now the woman is thinking more of a min pin mix.

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,18235.msg223641.html#new
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 04:00:32 am »
Check this out originally they were suppose to be doberman puppies but now the woman is thinking more of a min pin mix.

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,18235.msg223641.html#new

Aww, they are really cute! Unfortunately they are far from me. I'd also have to have a pretty good idea of their mix so I can know what to kind of expect for a temperment etc, and how big they will potentially get. We can't have anything bigger than small here, even medium..we don't have the space and I'm sure Yukon would have a royal fit if I did that to the man of the house too. ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 04:01:25 am by mama2many »

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 09:32:51 am »
Well I heard back from the foster mom and she was completely understanding, I was worried about that..I don't like stepping on people's toes and I felt bad.

Anyway she suggested I try the Miami-Dade Animal Services..I bet that place is huge. So maybe that will be our next road trip. :) That'd be a mighty long drive to come home emtpy handed! Hubby is trying to convince me to convince Emma to get a kitten instead- basically no maintenance ya know. :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 09:33:25 am by mama2many »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 10:08:40 am »
I think Miami-Dade has a Petfinder website that you can look at and get a feel for what pups are there that you are looking for.  That way if you see one you like you can call them and see if they can hold it for you until you get there or see if it's available still.  Just a thought.  Hope you find what you are looking for.  I know it can be tough trying to find the perfect fit for a new family addition.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 11:22:43 am »
I think Miami-Dade has a Petfinder website that you can look at and get a feel for what pups are there that you are looking for.  That way if you see one you like you can call them and see if they can hold it for you until you get there or see if it's available still.  Just a thought.  Hope you find what you are looking for.  I know it can be tough trying to find the perfect fit for a new family addition.

Yeah! I actually went to their website and looked at what they have..they're all updated and stuff, like the info on the animals is only a couple hours old. They must have to be awfully organized, I'm sure they're extremely busy there. There are a ton of little dogs on there anyway..and you can call with their ID for info I guess. So we'll see..

Thanks for the tips! I think it would be a 3.5 hour drive from me.