Author Topic: Cold Weather Dog Query  (Read 1076 times)

Offline jfuite

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Cold Weather Dog Query
« on: June 25, 2007, 04:42:03 am »
I invite advice on what kind of dog breed, if any, will suit my family's particulars.

I grew up on my parent's ranch in northern British Columbia.  Besides the cattle dogs, we had a Great Pyrenees.  I will always respectfully remember her ongoing blood battles with the coyotes and how she snoozed on the icy drive in the winters.

Anyway, I live in northern Alberta now - where it is just as cold - and I have a family:  three boys, 6+, a big yard, and a father-in-law who consistently goes for long walks and could use a companion.  We are considering bringing a dog into the household and I seek advice.

Assuming any dog of ours will have an insulated, heated doghouse, I would like to ask what kind of dog readers think I should consider, taking into account the following information:

1. Up here, a solid five months of the year can be considered winter conditions: temperatures to as low as -35°C on some days, and -20°C for weeks at a time can be assumed each winter.  The dog will not be routinely permitted into the home.  I remember this was no problem for that beautiful white dog of ours.

2. Our property is long and narrow against a river, so it is fairly large, but we are still close to neighbours.  There is a walking path between the edge of our property and the river.  I cannot have a dog that will bark at everyone who walks along the path.  I still remember our Great Pyreenes who never let a single person or creature cross her line-of-sight without challenge.  That type of behavior was fine on the ranch, but not in the city.  There is no expectation of the dog as a property guard.

3. The three boys and father-in-law will offer the dog plenty of attention all year.

So, to summarize in my own layman's terms, I think I need a true cold-weather dog who does not tend to bark at those walking by the property.

Any comments?

Nicole

Re: Cold Weather Dog Query
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 04:44:22 am »
Well, outside of my personal objections to being an "outside" dog, I would recommend a Newf. They're not territorial in the same way that Pyrs are, they're AWESOME with kids, they've got a thick double-coat and most of the ones I've met are fairly quiet.