Author Topic: How Level is your Saint?  (Read 13042 times)

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
How Level is your Saint?
« on: July 17, 2005, 02:28:48 pm »
Hi Guys, (Gals)

According to breed standards a Saint's back is supposed to be straight.  maxwell is a little bit taller in the back.  He's still not full grown but I was wondering if yours were the same. One man I met said his Saint fluctuated until he finished growing.  Taller in the front then taller in the back.  What's your thought?

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: How Level is your Saint?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 04:05:34 pm »
Hutch is finally starting to level out, he was taller in the back end as well. Maxwell is beautiful. I noticed that you got your Saint in New Brunswick, our boy came from NB too!! We aren't sure of the breeder as he was a rescue. Do you know of any other breeders in NB? We have searched and came up empty handed short of hearing about one NB breeder who is less than reputable, we assumed he came from there. Any info you have would be greatley appreciated!!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 04:46:31 pm »
Bear is a bit higher in the shoulders than in his rear right now but he too has fluctuated throughout his life thus far. Until he officially stops growing he will fluctuate. Hopefully he will even out for the final time soon!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 04:50:35 pm »
Zoey's shoulders and rear are about level, but there is a teeny tiny dip in the area in between them.
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 09:02:20 am »
Bubba is taller in the back end also. Just when he seems to level out he hits another growth spurt and is back to being ''unlevel'' lol.

I also read the breed standard and was wondering myself.  :)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 09:29:53 am »
This might be helpful to those of you trying to figure it out. It's a great illustrated standard.

Many puppies go high in the rear during development.

Some grow out of it, some don't.

Much of the time the dog is not so much high in the rear as down in the front or the shoulders.

Check it out....

http://www.saintbernardclub.org/IC/ic_1.htm
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 10:29:20 am »
Maia's butt end is slightly higher but it is starting to level out now that she is over 1 yr old.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Yaz

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 07:39:42 pm »
That's a funny coincidence you should ask this question. Our vet likes us to bring Guinness in every couple of weeks so he can monitor his growth and the last time he was in the vet pointed out to us that his back is higher than his front. He turned five months last Wednesday, so I guess he still has a lot of filling out to do.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 08:02:30 pm »
At 9 months Samson was a bit "bum high" as my Aussie St. breeder friend called it...He will be 1 yr. old this month & has leveled off.

nickerbokker

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 08:10:26 pm »
WHY IS THAT DOGGIE SO MUCH BIGGER THAN MY MINI?!?  %$^&#%@%&$@^%#&

ANGUS IS 7 MONTHS AND STILL THE SIZE OF A 10 WEEKS OLD PUPPY~  NOT FAIR DUDE~

on a different note, beautiful dog! lol...ive been dying for a more receint pic!

and yes, angus's bottom is taller than his front legs!

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 08:28:00 am »
Hello Saint Girl.  I have a strong suspicion that your Hutch is related to my Maxwell.  He looks just like my Saint's Mom, Mocha.  I got Maxwell from a farm in northern, NB.  He is not registered and the breeder only has the one Saint that she breeds her female to.  She is what you would call a back yard breeder.  She may or may not be reputable.  All I know is that when I went there her dogs were clean and happy and she genuinely loved her dogs.  It wasn't a puppy mill.  She is a single mom that supplements her income.  Now I know I'm going to get slack because I didn't go to a "registered" breeder.  That's all well and good but I have bought dogs from registered breeders and later found out that they were a puppy mill so it's a tough call to make.  I would rather buy a dog that comes from a good home than from a "reputable" breeder that keeps 10 dogs in crates in her garage.  I'm fortunate that Maxwell seams to be genetically sound and she was referred to me by friends.  As far as I know she is the only Saint Breeder in New Brunswick.  When shopping for Maxwell, I found breeders in Ontario and a few other places.  The cost for their registered Saints was $1400-1700.  I bought Maxwell for $400 and I feel that it was money well spent.  I'm sorry if I stepped on some toes but I feel that I made the right choice and I stand by it.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 10:12:24 am »
Saintly Girl,
I don't think you have to worry about people not understanding your situation. Most of the flack people get from backyard breeders and puppy mills comes because the breeders could care less about thier dogs and once they sell them the dogs tend to have issues. It sounds as though your breeder was wonderful and loved each of the puppies she has sold. I am glad that everything is working out for you and Maxwell.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 10:33:01 am »
Saintly Girl, no matter what breed, most dogs grow like that. The bigger the breed the more obvious it is when they fluctuate. You'll run into the odd individual that grows in a real imressing way and have a beautiful topline throughout its growing, but the most common is that they, grow a little and look tall in the rear end, then you say ahhhhhh now he has a good topline, then four weeks later the butt is up there again. You will most likely go through that until the most intense growing period is over and they slow down. Having had large and giant dogs for years and years, and had several dogs that grow like that, I would not worry, the very majorety or the dogs end up with a good topline even if they looked like a ski sloop when growing.

Give the growing baby a big hug

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 11:03:00 am »
Hello Saint Girl.  I have a strong suspicion that your Hutch is related to my Maxwell.  He looks just like my Saint's Mom, Mocha.  I got Maxwell from a farm in northern, NB.  He is not registered and the breeder only has the one Saint that she breeds her female to.  She is what you would call a back yard breeder.  She may or may not be reputable.  All I know is that when I went there her dogs were clean and happy and she genuinely loved her dogs.  It wasn't a puppy mill.  She is a single mom that supplements her income.  Now I know I'm going to get slack because I didn't go to a "registered" breeder.  That's all well and good but I have bought dogs from registered breeders and later found out that they were a puppy mill so it's a tough call to make.  I would rather buy a dog that comes from a good home than from a "reputable" breeder that keeps 10 dogs in crates in her garage.  I'm fortunate that Maxwell seams to be genetically sound and she was referred to me by friends.  As far as I know she is the only Saint Breeder in New Brunswick.  When shopping for Maxwell, I found breeders in Ontario and a few other places.  The cost for their registered Saints was $1400-1700.  I bought Maxwell for $400 and I feel that it was money well spent.  I'm sorry if I stepped on some toes but I feel that I made the right choice and I stand by it.
Samson came from what would be considered a b.y.b. also...His mother only had 3 litters in her 7 yrs. before she was fixed & the breeder obviously cares about her dogs also...I was also able to get references from owners of the pups from previous litters...I was able to call her anytime for an answer to a question about Samson & there were many calls too since he was my 1st dog...I take Sammy to see her & she has even stopped here to see him...Nope, I don't feel bad about Sammy's origons either!...She also has a sheep farm so she breeds the dogs too work...She raises Border Collies too but only has the 2 breeding pairs of dogs (1 set Pyr...1 set B.C.'s) at one time...I felt pretty good about her & I am very happy with Samson though we did have to put a ton of work into socializing him. :-\

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 05:37:59 pm »
People who buy dogs from back yard breeders do get a lot of slack but mostly it's from registered breeders.  I sometimes feel that it's all a money scam.  A lot of breeders say they breed to better the breed but if that was the case, how does one justify charging ungodly prices?  I mean really.  $1500 dollars?  That's not bettering the breed to me.  It sounds more like a money issue.  I'm kind of getting totally against breeding in general.  Back yard or otherwise.  I think my next dog will be a rescue dog.  I can't justify buying a dog when there are so many in the shelters.  On the plus side, if we didn't have breeders, some breeds would be extinct pretty fast.  I wouldn't want to lose any of the breeds.  I find dogs amazing in a way.  They are all dogs but they come in all shapes and sizes and their personalities are sometimes breed specific.  I have a cocker and my cocker acts and has the same mannerisms as other cockers I meet.  It's really weird.  I'm sure Maxwell acts like other Saints as well.  (I haven't been around many others yet.)

Oh well, that was my daily rant.  Hope I didn't bore anyone.