Author Topic: would a muzzle work...?  (Read 2175 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
would a muzzle work...?
« on: September 19, 2006, 04:04:59 pm »
  i still am trying to socialize the stray dog i found with my golden retriever. someone said to put them in the backyard together and they will work it out. but until i am sure she will not bite, i dont want to do that. so, i was thinking, what about a muzzle? what if i muzzle both of them ( cant just muzzle her, that wouldnt be fair, even though i know cooper wont bite)and let them out together in the backyard, or maybe take them to a park, neutural territory for both? do you think that would be a good idea? that way they can actually be around each other without barriers in between, they can sniff and hopefully play without a chance of anyone getting bit.
 what do you guys think???
  thanks,
   Leah

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: would a muzzle work...?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 04:10:34 pm »
Can you control her on a leash and someone else control your golden?  If you know Cooper won't bite, then just introduce them, on leash, and a neutral territory sounds like a good idea.  I guess if it comes to it you could try a muzzle, but I'd make that the last resort.  Has she given you any indication that she will bite?
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 12:56:21 am »
Personally, I would avoid the muzzles, as the dogs would be very resentful of being muzzled, and may associate that feeling and having to wear the muzzle to the other dog, causing MORE issues rather than fixing it.  If you have someone who can help you, I would take both dogs out for a nice walk on a trail somewhere that would be new and exciting for both, and let them see each other the whole time, but not let them be close enough to fight until they each give you an indication that they are curious, but not aggressive.

Weedsport, NY

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 02:00:33 am »
How are they through a fence?  I don't agree with a leash or muzzle.  If they aren't displaying any real agression through a fence then let them in together and see how it goes.  Be on hand but don't really interfere.  Your golden may see it as an opportunity to defend you.  Neutral territory wouldn't be a bad idea BUT if you expect them to live together under one roof, you have to let them work out the pack order at home.  They will act differently in a park than they do at home; and they will RE-act differently to each other there. 

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 05:09:43 am »
  she has tried to snap at him thru a fence. but she has also given the indication that she would like to play. i guess for now we will avoid the muzzles. there is a nice grassy area by a creek a couple blocks away from where we live. we could walk them over there together,not letting them close enough to touch. and then once we get over there we could hopefully let them sniff each other out more and see how that goes, and if it goes well, then we could walk them back home together and let them have some free time in the backyard.
thanks for the advice guys.
 Leah