Author Topic: Sad for Sophie - Update  (Read 2941 times)

jesday

Sad for Sophie - Update
« on: November 21, 2008, 08:07:15 am »
Saw the Surgeon today and Sophie's bones still aren't ready for surgery. Back again on Dec 10th for new X-rays. Right knee is definitely blown but doc says after a week or so the dogs pain level reduces dramatically since there is no longer a tendon attached to keep injuring. More pain meds for about a week then she should feel better although still hobbling. Small consolation is in a dog this young there is nothing we did to cause this. He say's it's underlying bone structure which is 99% hereditary. Don't get me started on the breeder again.

Sweet thing with brother Syrus. As soon as I got back and let him out I was afraid he was going to go over and start harassing and wanting to play with her. Instead he immediately lay down next to her and licked her ear. She leaned into him and closed her eyes, he on alert. Syrus the protector.

Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. We will need them again in a few weeks but for now all is calm.  :)

Tonda

Re: Sad for Sophie - Update
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 08:10:03 am »
*totally misty eyed here*

This just sucks.

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:26:35 am »
Awwww poor Sophie and sweet Syrus to look after her. Hope they can do something to help Sophie the next time you go back. It's terrible you have to go through all of this. The pups are lucky it was you they ended up with. Not everybody would do everything you have for your dogs. Most of us on BPO would take care of our pups whatever the costs, but most other people I know don't feel that way and the dogs end up in shelters and worse. Good luck, hope things improve soon.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:28:15 am »
Oh dear!  I'm just so sorry that you are all going through this!  :(  :(  :(  Is the breeder *really* taking this seriously?  I think that I read a post (when I was in CA, so I'm a little fuzzy about it) where the breeder said that she wouldn't continue breeding Sophie & Cyrus' parents?  I hope that she is taking all precautions to try and avoid this happening again.   :'(  Poor babies!

On a nicer note though, that pic is truly just the sweetest thing.  We humans have a lot to learn from dogs about how to give quiet comfort & how to show love.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 08:30:26 am »
So glad he's being a good big brother to her. Yep it was a good thing for her to be yours but it sure can hurt the pocketbook  :-[ Hopefully your vet can get her in better shape and give you some good news before Christmas.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 12:57:40 pm »
Me three- so teary reading your post.  It's just so incredibly sweet how dogs can sense others' pain, and how Syrus can comfort her at a completely different level.  Just really amazing. 

My thoughts are with you all. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:26:10 pm by IndyFurKiddos »

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 10:59:47 am »
Poor Sophie...and poor you to have to be going through all of this...thank goodness she has such a wonderful and caring owner! ;) What a sweet boy Syrus is...I bet having him around sure helps her a lot  :) Poor girl...I hope the next few weeks are good ones for her and that she is feeling more herself  ;) Hopefully next time they can do something to help her out!

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:42:40 am »
Poor Sophie, life's just not fair some times  :'(  What a great brother she has. It never fails to amaze me, how these animals know when the other is not well. Keeping Sophie in our thoughts.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 03:02:43 pm »
Poor Sophie.  that's a bum deal.  being so young with this issue.  We'll get through it together.  Hang in there, it'll be over sooner than you know.