Author Topic: Gentle Giants File Suit / Burt Ward denied in court again  (Read 4260 times)

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
Gentle Giants File Suit / Burt Ward denied in court again
« on: November 17, 2005, 08:09:09 pm »
Gentle Giants and Burt & Tracy Ward File Suit

On August 23, 2005, I was handed a Summons for a lawsuit filed against me, Marc Sayer (Deaf Dane Rescue) and 2 other individuals by Burt and Tracy Ward and Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions, in an attempt to stop us from speaking out to the public about their rescue operation and about how they have drastically impacted other peoples’ lives as a result of adopting Great Danes from their organization.

The suit alleges 7 separate Causes of Action:

•   Defamation (Libel) of Burt and Tracy
•   Defamation (Trade Libel) of Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions Inc.
•   Intentional Interference with Potential Economic Advantage of Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions Inc.
•   Negligent Interference with Potential Economic Advantage of Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions Inc.
•   Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress to Burt and Tracy
•   Negligence
•   Injunctive Relief

Their attempts to intimidate and bully people will not prevent us from continuing to try to keep people informed. That sort of behavior may have worked for them in the past, but they are dealing with a new mindset now. We are careful to verify and document what we publish, or to clearly state when we are voicing an opinion or theorizing, and we believe we are within our rights under the First Amendment to speak out on these issues. Gentle Giants is a 501c3 public charity and is subject to public scrutiny. What happens there is of interest to other adoptors, other rescues, to public shelters and other agencies, and to the public in general. The public has a right to know how this public charity conducts themselves.

What are WE doing about it?

On October 21, 2005 our attorneys have filed "Special Motions to Strike" because this is a meritless SLAPP.

To learn more about California Anti-SLAPP Laws (Stragetic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) visit www.CASP.net (California Anti-Slapp Project)

The State of California has set up laws to protect individuals, like yourselves, from being sued as a result of informing the public of safety and public concerns.

Because the public has the right to know what’s going on ...

I have developed a new website to keep the public informed about what is happening at Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions, Inc.; about what has happened to other people that have adopted from Gentle Giants; to keep you all posted on the progress of the lawsuit; and helpful resources for the care of your Great Dane or Gentle Giant family member.

Introducing GENTLE GIANT NEWS   www.gentlegiantnews.com

Please take a few minutes to check it out.

This website is full of helpful resources about Great Dane Rescues, Medical Emergency Information, Food for the Great Dane, Products for your Great Dane, and some fun too.

===>>> Also, in conjunction with GENTLE GIANT NEWS, another website (Rescue Watchdogs) has been developed to provide the public with more documented evidence along with other news and "happenings" at Gentle Giants Rescue and other Rescue Organizations around the nation. Visit http://rescuewatchdogs.com

Today’s News:

Burt Ward denied an Injunction

Burt Ward appeared in court today to obtain an injunction against Marc Sayer (producer of Rescue Watchdog website) and was denied AGAIN, after previously being denied on October 27, 2005 of a temporary restraining order against Mr. Sayer. 

We would love to hear your feedback.
Please visit out message board to give your input.
http://www.gentlegiantnews.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=429a18436789f01219ce7c369380ffb7  

Sincerely,
Barbara Laird
GENTLE GIANT NEWS
“Discovering the Truth about Gentle Giants”

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giants File Suit / Burt Ward denied in court again
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 05:22:06 pm »
I'm glad there is someone brave enough to stand up to GG. From what I have read, it sounds like the Wards make it pretty difficult for anyone to speak out against them.
If they are doing animals wrong, they need to be exposed and cleaned up. And if they are not doing wrong, their motivation should be to prove that... instead of threatening to sue everyone who challenges them.