Author Topic: Kid with gun fixation...would this worry you??  (Read 2216 times)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Kid with gun fixation...would this worry you??
« on: December 12, 2007, 08:10:48 pm »
My cousin has a 10 year old son who is just a monster.  I hate to say it....but we groan when we find out he will be at a family function, and always talk about what a brat he is on the way home.  He whines and cries and screams (literally) if he doesn't get his way about everything.  He completely ignores everything he is told.  He is spoiled rotten and wants the focus to be on him every minute.  He bullies other kids.  He's just unpleasant in pretty much every way! 

His latest stunts, however, go beyond Annoying and into Creepy.  A few months ago we were at brunch at my aunt's house and the kids (she has 5 grandkids....t his monster and 4 girls, all very sweet) put on a "play" in the rec room.  All the adults gathered to watch....it started out pleasantly enough, but quickly became apparent that the play was about a serial killer!  Monster Boy was the killer and the girls were his victims....he took great joy in putting his toy gun to their heads and "shooting" them.  Most of the adults chuckled....bu t it was unsettling.

A few weeks later, my cousin said she found him playing a game with some of his friends.....th e game was "School Shooting".  Monster Boy was ordering them all to "act like they were hiding under their desks" and once again walking up and putting a gun to their heads and shooting them.  She took his toy guns away for a week.

Two weeks ago we were having brunch at my aunt's again...and as usual, Monster Boy had a toy gun tucked into his waistband.  Occasionally he would walk up to a family member and whip out his gun and put it to their head and tell them he was going to blow their brains out.  By this point I'd had enough.  I don't think this is appropriate for any kid...and this kid already has some serious issues.  When he came at me with the gun I told him to get it out of my face, and suggested to my cousin that his fascination with shooting people was not good. 

What do you think?  Would this creep you out?  Do you think it's inappropriate?  Would you let your child do this?
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Nicole

Re: Kid with gun fixation...would this worry you??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 08:15:49 pm »
YES! This would concern me. Its just creepy, creepy, creepy. It is not normal for a kid to fixate on cold-blooded murder like that.

What do his parents think? They need to get him to an expert!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 12:14:38 am »
It does sound a bit alarming to me and yes I would be concerned.  I know kids are different nowdays but fascinations with serial killers and school shootings just does not seem normal.  He's not watching alot of Law and Order or CSI or something graphic like that, is he?  (great shows, but definitely not appropriate for children)

I agree they family should go in for counseling.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 02:38:20 am »
I also do not think this sounds healthy.  And as much as it sucks this kid and his parents should get some help.  Do the parents see his behaviour as a problem?  If not, you should have a serious sit down talk with them to make them realize that this is how things like Columbine happen.  Everything starts of small right?  :(

Good luck
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 08:00:53 am »
I suggest that more like the parents need to learn how to control a 10 yr old child, how to raise a child!
10 year's old with tantrums... it sounds like serious failure of parents.

I do not agree that child must be protected from any info on public TV - but it must go along with parents comments, education and discussions.

I was working in police when my children were that age, and of course, many crimes, including murders, were discussed at home, and no ban on any TV thing - but we were discussing things all the time, and I would not say that any of my children had such "side effects" like this child.

I'm really happy with my children now (youngest is 23) and they all have grown to be responsible members of society, because they had seen real life and as children they took TV as source of information - even movies.

I had not had a gun as if you have a gun, you must be ready to use it, and I am not, and the same rules I teached to my children... No silly games with toy guns, they had a real bow with arrows, and strong lessons for safety in archery.

All i see here is that parents need a serious counseling on child rising. They remain me owners of some small dog laughing when their dog is acting agressive - he/she is so braaaaave! Try the same with GSD, for example, and you will be in a big trouble!

http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:17:06 am »
I totally agree with everyone else....but I think this kid needs BOTH family and individual therapy.  It seems to me that this kid is having a major issue with control and power- he throws tantrums to have control over his parents and he's playing out a power/control/aggression dynamic with these kids.  If he's getting pleasure out of having control of others, this could seriously get out of hand as he gets older.   
I also think that there must be something happening in the family that is out of balance, where this need originated.  Where do you live?  Maybe I could give you some info on good family and child therapists, or at least what to look for when researching therapists.... .