Author Topic: Help with down stay..please  (Read 3088 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Help with down stay..please
« on: September 28, 2006, 12:26:32 pm »
Hi - yesterdays birthday boy is getting himself in quite a bit of trouble lately with his staring at us while we eat and constantly barking at us for no apparent reason.

We thought it would be a good idea to put him in a down stay while we eat and when he is being naughty, the problem is he WON'T stay down!!   He pops up like a punching bag.  We are definately using a serious tone to our voice and giving him a clear command.

He probably popped up at least 7 times tonight, as soon as we turn to walk away he pops up!  He is getting himself in SO much trouble with my husband - I love Harley and find him cute and all but it is hard to defend him when my husband is actually right (don't tell him I said so).

Any advise would be so very appreciated!

Randy

Offline migrandl

• Gnawer
  • My girl Trouble at 10 years old -
    • View Profile
Re: Help with down stay..please
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 05:25:36 pm »
Back when I first started to take obedience classes, the instructors suggested this way to reinforce certain exercises.  This will REALLY help with your down-stay problem.  When it's feeding time, ask him to do whatever exercise you want to work on ie: sit, stay, down, down-stay or even stand.  Start it out slow - for a minute at a time - when he performs the required exercise for 1 minute, he gets to eat.  Next time, try 2 minutes, etc.  If he doesn't do as asked, start over.  He WILL get the idea.  Also use whatever command you want to reinforce BEFORE letting him out the door for walks, potty time, etc.  This was suggested to us when we were working on the timing of the exercises for the obedience ring - really worked well.  I still use it.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia " (Charles Schultz)

Luvmydanes

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 03:01:21 am »
I was going to just throw my 2 cents in....We have the dogs out while we eat as well, and if Jasmine begs, she gets a warning...we just tell her "stop begging" in a really firm tone. 9 times out of 10 she will stop. But if she doesn't, we crate her while we eat. We have done that in the past and I do think that is why she stops begging, cause she knows if she doesn't she will just be crated in another room other than the one we're in. I hope that helps a little, just another suggestion for you :)

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 05:22:51 am »
All three of my dogs have different places to go at human mealtime, from puppyhood on. Before they had the impulse control not to beg they were crated. We gradually phased out the crate, and replaced it with their own Blanket/bed fron inside the crate. Now Merlin goes to our bedroom, and Raven to the corner of the kitchen automatically as soon as the food hits the table. Strider,who rides the short bus, is still confined to a crate, as he just doesn't get it. He is almost two years old, and I have not been able to crate-break him yet. I am resigned to the bloody thing being in my kitchen for all eternity.
Stella

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 07:09:42 am »
I agree- you have gotten great ideas from everybody.  The only thing I can add, is that unless you have already done the down-stay training starting from a few seconds at a time, on up, adding a few more seconds each time, you can't really expect him to do it well throughout your entire meal time.  You would need to start out with low distractions, several times daily (can be done whenever he wants something as suggested) but work it up to longer and longer times as he is able.   Dogs don't generalize, so whatever training you are working on will need to be practiced in all sorts of different places and under different distractions, for him to understand that "down-stay" means the same thing whether you are at home alone in your kitchen as it does in the middle of petsmart with a crowd around you.  Also, many people don't realize that having your dog do a down-stay while you are right there facing them is completely different in your dog's mind, than having him do a down-stay when you are across the room with your back to him, or in another room.  Good luck with him.

Weedsport, NY

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 07:46:05 am »
I am having the same problem with Binky.  She just will not stay.  However, she does stay down during meals, ironically.  All the dogs are allowed in the room with us when we eat as long as they stay down.  Of course, they're highly motivated to do this as I do feed them table scraps, but only when they are down and stay down.  I feed them during the meal- I know, bad parent but it really does work and it's one of the few times I can get Binky to stay for more than 30 seconds.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 07:57:42 am »
Thank you for the excellent suggestions.

Harley used to have a crate where we would put him when he was unruly and wouldn't listen, like so many of you it was in the kitchen - well I had the kitchen painted and decided it was a good time to take it down since I didn't want the new paint getting scratched or chipped my the crate door.

I will either re-set the crate up someplace else, or I will work on his commands working up to the time I need him down I also like the idea of downing before he eats, or gets what he wants!!

I knew I could count on all of you!!

Thanks
Randy