Author Topic: I have to get this shirt. To help deal with my stoopid people problems.  (Read 8003 times)

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
I was just looking around the Big Dog's Porch web site and I found this shirt that I just have to have.  It is soo fitting for any owner of a Great Dane.  I answers all of the questions that we get asked everytime we take Morph out for a walk with just a touch of sarcasim. (a slight touch lol).  I just wish they had them in kids sizes. 

Mason who is 4 takes Morph on walks all the time ( we are with him and always within arms reach and usually on the other end of the leash) and people always make comments about it. Such as...  he needs a saddle not a leash, you had better get ahold of him before he hurts that lil boy, and the best one..   why is he walking you should have a cart behind that horse.

Morph is an angel on a leash so that is why we let Mase hang on to him.  I just want to take my kids (skin and fur) out for a nice walk and not have to deal with comments.  I know that part of the problem is that we live in San Diego and everyone thinks that they have to be in everyone elses business.  So any ideas ??????

Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

GR8DAME

Re: I have to get this shirt. To help deal with my stoopid people problems.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 08:17:36 am »
Being from Chicago, long known for the curtesy of it's occupants, my reply would be brief, and a bit more pithy but essentially simple. "My kid. My dog. Your problem?"
Stella

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 08:20:44 am »
crap...  I started ranting and forgot to attach the pic of the shirt lol.   I cant copy it so I will just post the link.

http://www.bigdogsporch.com/cgi-bin/shop/greatdane.cgi/1282490399/danesrusduds.18917079
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 08:32:57 am »
Hehehehhhe that shirt is funny! :D

I think we can all relate to the ol' dumb comments issue! :D Even though I am sick of hearing the same thing over and over, especially the saddle comment ::), I try to always stay positive. These people are never going to go away, so if I let them make me mad, I am going to be mad every time I walk around the block! ;) Personally, I would much rather enjoy my walks. So I try to do my best to educate folks when they have questions, or at least humor them, and you have to admit- a Great Dane (and other huge dogs!) is quite a sight for someone who has never seen one in person!!!! :o We take their size for granted since we see them every day, and they don't even seem big to us at all any more. But to other people, holy cow!!! What a stunning and amazing creature! We should be proud to be the caretakers of these mighty beasts!!! ;D Yes, look upon him, and be amazed!!! :D ;)

I do hate the comments about "who is walking who" because clearly I am in control of my dog, but I think people really just can't seem to hold back and miss the opportunity to say something "witty" (hahaha! so original, these folks! ;)). It might be the only interesting thing that has happened to them lately, and they will surely get to tell all their friends that they saw a dog who weighed a million pounds and was 5 feet tall. ::)

That's my take, anyways. I think those stoopid people are funny. ;)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 08:40:45 am »
Although I don't have a dane.  I would get similar comments when I used to walk my GSD.  He was HUGE, deep and tall and I never realized it until he would be next to another GSD or husky, etc.  I got the pony comment ALOT, I'd just tell people, "no, he's not broke yet!".
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 09:11:25 am »
I guess you guys are right I am just gonna have to get used to it.  Esspecially since he is only 8 months and we are already getting those comments.  It is only gonna get worse as he gets bigger.  I dont mind it if they are nice and make thier comments and ask questions, we will usually stand around and talk with them, it is the real smart @ss ones and the ones that think they are sooo cute that aggravate me.  We usually just say "Yeah havent heard that one before" and keep walking.

I think that you are right though that we dont realize how big they are.  Morph is still small to me but when we get to the dog park he is the biggest one there unless there is another dane there.  When we first got him he was playing with the austrailian shepards and then the labs.  Now the only ones that will play with him are the rotties, mastiffs and danes cause of his size. 

I guess I will just have to grow some more patients and bite my tounge more often. 
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 09:45:47 am »
I don't have a Dane, but with 2 big dogs and since I'm young and walk both of them at the same time, I get the comment about who walks who all the time. It doesn't bother me anymore. I had to get used to having to stop all the time to let people pet them though, but it's good socialization for the girls, so that doesn't bother me too much either. I feel honored to have my big dogs, so I feel kind of honored also when people take note of them.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Luvmydanes

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 11:35:04 am »
hahaha! That shirt is SO funny! I need that. I get that all the time when we walk Jasmine - its hilarious. "Is that a real great dane?" No its a fake one...lol

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 11:59:10 am »
LOVE that shirt. One of my neighbors is now too intimidated to come down to the house- something about having 3 Great Danes and 3 Pyrenees all in the house at any given time just freaks her out. One of these days I will be taking the 3 Pyrs, the Newf and 2 of the Danes all to Petsmart. It will be entertainment day for the masses.

Kirsti

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 12:00:43 pm »
haahaa, I would so LOVE to be at Petsmart when you go with the gang! Haahaa, I once took my uncles pit bull, but they didn't like it much :(...(all she would do is lick someone to death...but people are afraid of them:()

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 12:13:34 pm »
I will take pictures!!!!!

Kirsti

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 12:16:07 pm »
awsome!! I'll be waiting  ;D!!

~K

Offline NYCMelody

• Gnawer
  • The goofiest thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 10:41:41 am »
I might just get that t-shirt for my bf's birthday or something. I've gotten used to all the comments on the street, but he still gets annoyed sometimes. And it IS always the same questions.

When Persephone was smaller, we always used to get asked if she was a dalmatian. Yeah. Sure, a grey dalmatian with ragged black patches. The other one we got was catahoula. The coats do look similar, but other than that they look nothing alike! I guess people have great imaginations!

I have to say though.. this once, Persephone was playing at the dog run with this huge harlequin (Talek) and a lady came up to us and asked us, in all seriousness, if it was a "horse-dog." Talek's owner had to explain to her that horses and dogs can't breed. Isn't that crazy?
Melody, Joel and Persephone

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained!

"If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 05:36:57 am »
I want three shirts.  Lady's shirt will say.  "Don't talk" ... Grace's shirt will say. "Don't look".  mine will say.  "DON'T PANIC!"

or i want one that says "No thanks, we already ate!"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 05:37:26 am by lins_saving_grace »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 04:35:47 am »
while i was at the park yesterday, which turned into a horrible experience for a number of reasons, i had a couple with a miniature schnauzer walk up to me.  the man, who was clearly a little *ahem* off track (no offense, i'm not against people who swing the other way) asked me if axle "could bite"... hubby said i got this dumbfounded look on my face, all i know is i stood there for a few moments before stating, "well, he's got a mouth full of teeth"
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]