Author Topic: Durable Dog Beds  (Read 4543 times)

Offline hmm_gfx

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Durable Dog Beds
« on: March 05, 2006, 08:26:30 pm »
Has anyone had any luck with a durable dog bed?  In other words, pretty darned indestructable

Helen and Cayman forever in my heart

cricket36580

Re: Durable Dog Beds
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 09:07:33 pm »
The one I made Foster has proven to be pretty much indestructible .  The first cover I made for it was out of denier canvas and it ripped.  I made the second one out of upholstry material and made it like a hamock and it has yet to rip or otherwise fall apart.

I also made some covers for "regular" on the floor beds that I filled with old comforters.  They're out of denim and so far have withstood Bella and Baloo "nesting". 

All of these beds are approx 54"x36"...almost twin bed size.  But they fit the babies....

Offline hmm_gfx

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 10:53:17 pm »
The one I made Foster has proven to be pretty much indestructible .  The first cover I made for it was out of denier canvas and it ripped.  I made the second one out of upholstry material and made it like a hamock and it has yet to rip or otherwise fall apart.

I also made some covers for "regular" on the floor beds that I filled with old comforters.  They're out of denim and so far have withstood Bella and Baloo "nesting". 

All of these beds are approx 54"x36"...almost twin bed size.  But they fit the babies....

How do they hold up against chewing?

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 06:43:23 am »
So far, so good.  My guys honestly don't chew much...knock on wood!  Every so often they really get on a tear and I lose another piece of furniture but it's seldom.  So far, I've not had any problems with that.  Our issue is nesting.  If it can hold up to Fos digging holes in it then it's pretty stout.  He can literally dig a hole through the couch cushions...and has!  It's amazing!  Anyway, I would have to say if it holds up to Fos then it would hold up to chewing.  The elevated bed is made out of PVC and slip joints.  Dh screwed the corners so they would squeek all night long.  The new cover has pretty wide gussets so nothing is touching at the corners.

So far, no one has tried to eat the regular covers....agai n, knock on wood...

Offline mamadoglewis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 08:55:47 am »
My two Pyrs use the Kuranda beds. They look a lot like the ones that Cricket built and are supposed to be really good for heavy chewers. So far Beau and Cal have not chewed theirs up, which is a small miracle. They have a web site.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 11:19:06 am »
Hi,

We got one of these for Winslow http://www.mammothoutlet.com/ so far he has only chewed a small hole in one corner that was easily fixed by me. These are extremely durable, and big enough for any large dog.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 11:20:35 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 12:18:10 pm »
I hate to be a kill joy here...but Lady has eaten a few of each of these.  I don't know why she eats her pillows ... Grace loves her pillows and won't eat them. 
Lady...will only destroy her pillows during the day though...never at night.