Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 3841 times)

Offline quick_summer

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hi!
« on: July 24, 2007, 07:15:54 pm »
We are new to dogs, we just adopted a 6 1/2 y/o aussie shepherd and are very happy with him.

2 ?'s - what is the best way to deal with dog aggresive or ppl aggressive dogs we may encounter when out on walks?  2 that come to mind are a huge pitt in the area that is always pulling away from it's not strong enough walker and a very dog aggressive rott across the street who frequently jumps his fence. our dog and kids are no match for either of these...how can i protect them?

also - how necessary is it really to scoop the poop?  At least 4 other ppl regularly let their dogs poo at will on our lawn and elsewhere, i've never complained about it, mainly because we have an outdoor cat. also, technically all the grounds are 'common', we don't have a single family home...

any and all help is appreciated... i'll go further in depth on how we came to get Riko and how great i think he is for our family later!  I hope to hear from you guys soon! :)

Icerotti

Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:25:41 pm »
Welcome to BPO you will love it here. I am Michelle and my crew is listed below. Congrats to your new addition to your family.

Scooping poop is very important.It can carry disease and worms that  your dog can get from coming in contact with it.

I look forward to hearing more about Riko and you must post some pictures... ;)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 08:57:39 pm »
I just wanted to second the citronella spray advice and say welcome!  I've seen citronella spray used at the rescue facility where we adopted Sammy.  It sprayed a few feet in a directed stream, and broke up the dispute instantly and the two dogs stayed distracted for a minute or two afterwards, long enough I think to make a safe get away.  They say that it doesn't cause any pain, they just really dislike the strong smell, but I was impressed by how well it worked.  I'm mom to 3 kids, 3 dogs and our kitties.  Our little dog pack consists of Daisy our 8 y/o Golden/Lab, Sammy our 5ish y/o Pyr, and Cassie our 2 y/o Pyr/something really special & mysterious mix.   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline quick_summer

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 08:54:51 am »
Thanks for the welcome all! 

We got Riko for a few reasons

My kids have been wanting a dog for over a year but I was hesitant b/c I'm scared of dogs in general and having only had cats REALLY scared of sccoping poop! ;D, also, based on their responsibility track record with cats and fish, I knew the dog would be theirs in name only!!! :D

Still I was doing research on different breeds to find a good fit.  At the same time I was checking the humane society and 'free dog to good home' pages regularly...al l our animals are rescued, even the fish!

Last Friday, someone walked into our home and stole some items in less than 5 minutes as I walked to the dumpster.  That did it.  I felt if we had a dog, even a chihuahua, it would have warned the kids (luckily they were upstairs and didn't hear anything). We had to get a dog THAT WEEKEND.

As fate would have it, Saturday afternoon I saw an ad for 'free to a good home' on craigslist.  It was Riko.  There was no pic and a very short description.  I immediately called and emailed the owner, and looked up Aussies, which we hadn't really considered before because we don't live on a ranch ;D  Although I was nervous we might not have enough space, I arranged a meet up.

At first sight, he was the sweetest dog I have ever been around (this from an avowed cat lover) I felt no fear, and the kids were drawn to him instantly.  He is older, and well trained (great for first timers like us!).  His owner had him in a space the same size as mine and was very sorry to see him go. He's a purebreed (not a priority for us), but she gave him totally free. Most FTGH ads here mention a small (or not so small) rehoming fee. It always made me wonder about their true motivation for rehoming the dog :-\

Anywho, he is on antibiotics for an infection and overweight.  One of the reasons the owner was so happy was b/c my kids are the right age to play and romp and dote on him, as hers are already grown and gone (I think that's why he's overweight, that and her chihuahua was the fattest thing I've ever seen ---too much love+not enough time for exercise).  She called twice the same day to check on him, and passed along the info for his regular vet.  She encouraged me to call for his history and said she'd take him back for any reason, no questions asked if we wanted, so that makes me think she's not just trying to 'dump' a sick animal (of course, that could be a common ploy, i dunno)...

We are feeding him less and taking long walks with some uphill sprints to get him back in shape (he is slow and breathes heavy b/c of the extra weight and age I think). The vet should call me back tomorrow, I really hope he doesn't have a serious illness because we're all so attached already and I hope we have many wonderful years ahead with him. 

Thanks for the advice, btw...I will look for citronella spray this weekend. 

The big pitt is the manager's dog :-\ I don't want to start trouble, so we just try to avoid the routes and times i've seen it take (the manager could handle him but it's always his teeny tiny wife being drug along behind...dunno why)

The rott has actually been curiously absent all week...we avoid his house too, but he's the fence jumper, never know where he'll turn up!

I got a long handled claw scooper...we'll see how it goes...
I don't complain about the poopers b/c odds are our cat has done the same to them.  It's a good point about disease though, and looks of scorn! :o

Thanks again for the welcome guys, i'll post pics when I figure out how (and replace the camera that was stolen >:()

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 09:42:31 am »
Wow, you must have been terrified when your home was broken into with your children upstairs!  I'm so glad that you were all ok, but I'm sorry about the stolen items.  I'm suspect that Niko will provide an early warning type system for you.  I can't always see our company when they first pull up in front of our home, but our dogs always know and they tell me by running to the front door to look out.  If they recognise the person, they just wag.  If it's a stranger, there is a LOT of barking here!  :o  So we don't get a lot of "surprise" company here.  ;D

It sounds like Niko's previous owner is concerned about his welfare in his new home, and providing you with his vet records, is good too.  Our Cassie was rehomed to us by an elderly couple that they gave us her vet records too, and she was very well cared for, so hopefully Niko is healthy also.  Although you can't be sure, so until you have a little more time with him, you might want to just concentrate on the gentle walks and diet.  I guess I would hesitate to sprint with him right now since he's a bit overweight, slow and breaths heavily just in case there is an underlying health problem.  ;)  Do you know if he's been checked for heartworms?  If not, you might want to ask the vet about it.

Congratulation s on your new family member.  Niko sounds like a wonderful dog!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 04:38:16 pm »
Welcome to the board, you're going to love it here. I'm Tina, mom to Annie, Merri and Tripper. Good luck with your dog and I hope to see pics soon.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 05:41:26 am »
hi! welcome to bpo! im christina.  is there any chance that  a fence could be installed on the property? that would at least help with the problem, but i would pick up after your dog poos, and if you are still not sure whether it's necessary or not...this is grose, but some bugs and tons of other stuff im sure, lay eggs inside of it, it's very very disgusting,and they hatch into larva after only 2 or 3 days check if you dont believe me :-X is so grose.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown