Author Topic: Prayers for Speedo  (Read 2075 times)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Prayers for Speedo
« on: November 08, 2006, 05:21:37 am »
Our dear sweet Arabian gelding , Speedo , is going to Heaven at 12:00 pm mtn time today . He's 26 years old (a grandson of the great Khemosabi for you horse people), my husband has had him since Speedo was 3 . The two have been everywhere together , working/living on ranches from California , Nebraska , Montana , to Wyoming and South Dakota . He was an awesome cowhorse , and should have been a race horse as he was built for speed and running was his most favorite thing to do . Of the hundreds of horses my husband has rode , Speedo was by far the fastest . ( Even raced him against two of the main horses from "Dances With Wolves" and won ! ) In '98 Speedo was kicked by another horse , it broke a bone in his knee , he healed up okay and was able to work again but in the winter of '04 he developed arthritus and now even with medication it's just too painfull for him when the weather is cold . We knew this would be our last summer with him , we've spent as much time possible with him but you can see that spark in his eye is now gone . So me and the kids are off to spend a few final hours with him , brush him and give him lots of lovin's , and feed him all his favorite treats  ( PB&J sandwiches being one of them ! ) and to tell him how much we love him and we'll never ever ever forget him . This horse is human like , he would much rather stand around with us then be off with the herd . There will never be another like him , I can say that with certainty ! He will be burried at our friend's ranch . * WE LOVE YOU SPEEDY BOY*  :'(
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Kirsti

Re: Prayers for Speedo
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 06:00:58 am »
Speedo is a beautiful horse! My prays and thoughts to you and your family...it's always hard loosing a member (4 leged or not)

~Kirsti

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 06:19:02 am »
It sounds like Speedo had a wonderful life and made yours all the more richer for sharing it with you. My thoughts are with you and Speedo as he finds comfort and rest over the bridge.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 11:44:50 am »
I'm so sorry....horse s are so easy to get attached to and he sounds like he was a very special boy. I'm sure he'll be waiting to race with you down the rainbow bridge. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 12:10:57 pm »
What a wonderful life he's had!  I'm sorry that he's gone to the bridge today, but it sounds like he had a life full of love, adventures and joy!  You are doing the kindest thing, but it is also the hardest. :'(

Please accept my condolences to you family.  You all are in my thoughts and prayers. 

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 12:51:29 pm »
Thankyou so much everyone . It was super hard to leave him ( I didn't stay for the end) , our good friends stayed with him , we used to board him at their house so he knows them really well and they love him . I just couldn't take it and it was extra hard with the kids there , they get scared seeing mommy cry . I don't know if any of you remember when I posted last spring about how I was having such a hard time finding someone who would put him to sleep ( without using a stupid shotgun ! ) and finding a place to bury him , but our good friends from Church offered to do both ( his dad is one of the best vets around ) and didn't even charge me a dime , all they asked for was an apple pie . How sweet is that ? So , while I'm just heatbroken that dear sweet Speedo is gone , I also feel like this huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders , he doesn't have to be in any pain anymore , and we don't have to worry anymore , so once more , I love you soooo very much Speedo , see you soon !!!!
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 01:13:25 pm »
LOL This is actually the first time I've ever made an apple pie ! My Mom makes the absolute best and I of course didn't want mine compared to her's , LOL , but she moved to MN last year so I felt more safe . I actually made a practice one first and then made the *good* one for them , so darn , now we have to eat the practice one . Oh well .....  ;)
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 01:20:57 pm »
I am very sorry for your loss.

I am wishing speedo the best of luck on her journey over the bridge after what I am sure was a full and happy life

RIP former BPO