Author Topic: Another Hurricane - Nooooooooooooooooooo  (Read 33210 times)

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Another Hurricane - Nooooooooooooooooooo
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 03:18:09 pm »
Next January when I'm freezing my @$$ off in Pittsburgh, I will look at your pictures from the hurricanes and try not to envy your sunshine,  Stay safe everyone and try not to get too blasted at your hurricaine parties. My brother lives in Jacksonville and everytime I worry and call him he tells me that they are having a hurricaine party!! :o

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 08:37:27 pm »
Yes I have to go to Petsmart.  I only have dog food for about two more days.  I guess it will be put up board, go to class, put up more board.  We have 4 windows that are covered by trees that still have the boards from Dennis.  My hubby even painted the boards to match the house so we are good to go.  I had to wait in line to get gas this afternoon so I know Saturday and Sunday will be crazy.   I have my hurricane closet filled with beer and junk food.  I do have to pick up dog food and treats.  Sugar Bear was the same age as Bava during Ivan.  I made sure he had lots of treat to chew on during the storm. He even got some new "hurricane" toys.  I guess I will find any reason to buy them toys. The toys were ok, but he loved the extra chew treats.  I stayed up all night while Sugar Bear and my husband were sleeping.  I just hate it when a storm hits at night.  I like to see what is being blown away.  If it still looks like it is comming our way we have to lower the level our our pond so that the rain will not blow out the dam.  During Ivan the water level was 1/2" from going over the top of the dam.  If we lose the dam we lose our 3ac. stocked lake.  Sugar Bear and Dixie love it when we lower the pond because they get to go fishing. As the water runs over the spillway some fish are in it and Sugar Bear and Dixie have a great time fishing. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 08:49:22 pm »
Good grief!  I hope you all stay safe...I am terrified of Tornado's.  California, the part I am from had not much of anything.  Minnesota has plenty of tornado's.  Every time I take the kids and dogs to the basement It is "not the time" according to hubby, the one time I did not go, he came home frantic yelling "EVERYBODY TO THE BASEMENT NOW!"  Yep I know what i am doing!  LOL!   I hope you will al be ok!  STOCK the beer! 
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2005, 10:04:47 pm »
everyone stay safe.....I hate wind...would go nuts in a hurricane

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2005, 06:10:49 am »
It looks like this one my move more to the west of us.  Good luck to everyone along the gulf coast. 

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2005, 06:40:26 am »
I love the dog fishing! That's too funny, good snacks for dogs.

Hey, the 2 best pages I know of for info on current hurricanes are these:

http://www.crownweather.com/tropical.html#AL12
&
http://www.wunderground.com

For those of you that don't go through these, people get real interesting when they start getting close.  All of the milk, eggs, bread, little debbies snack cakes, and batteries dissapear off the shelves of wal-mart as if by magic.  Why eggs and milk?? I have no idea, and wonder if it is just a southern thing.  I have actually seen people push and shove over a loaf of bread.  Getting gas is tough, and people have really short tempers trying to get things done in a short amount of time.  A lady in an rv tried to run over another motorist last year after she broke in line to get gas and someone tried to stop her.   It's all kind of funny really, Mel and I usually are ready at the mention of a hurricane.  I went and bought $100 of gas for the generator on Tue or Wed, when we heard katrina was coming our way.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 06:42:38 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2005, 06:51:41 am »
Sugar bear, Dixie, And Bava better come to class ;)  I need my comic relief for the day.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2005, 06:53:41 am »
Yea I already went to the ABC store yesterday t
oo. 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2005, 07:24:47 am »
Amber, We will be there.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2005, 07:29:05 am »
It gets so crazy when anyone starts the "cat 4" stuff.  I had to laugh at myself when I went to WinnDixie yesterday.  I parked the car and though why am I here there is not much we need.   Guess it is just what you do. Hurricane 101, you fill up with gas and go to the store even if you don't need anything.

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2005, 02:01:34 pm »
Lisa,  My aunt lives in Gautier MS and she called this am and is heading inland. So far this year she has been lucky and hasn't had any damage. Hope you guys will be ok.. Deb
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2005, 04:00:17 pm »
I am so sorry to hear that your Aunt is having to leave her home. I wish her luck.  My Mom is in Mississippi this weekend but plans to come back to Alabama tonight.   The thing I hated when our house was in Gulf Shores is that once you leave you do not know when you will be able to go back.  We are just going to keep a very close eye on where the hurricane is going.

Lisa

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2005, 04:13:28 pm »
The last time they left to go inland someone broke into their house while they were gone. They left at the last minute to go and came back as soon as was able to get back in. She figured someone stayed and went around breaking into houses of those that left..
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2005, 05:21:52 pm »
Looks like we are right smack in the direct path of Katrina. I'm about 50 miles west of New Orleans on the coast (Houma, LA). We are staying put 'cause we're in the high part of Terrebonne Parish and where are we going to go with 5 dogs and 7 cats and how the heck would we all fit in a Kia Sportage, anyway??

Now, the other problem - what happens AFTER the hurricane to all the pets left behind??

Luckily, I've been in contact with Noah's Wish, an organization that comes in to help with precisely that problem. We've already got a large parking lot for them to set up in, too. They are a phenomenal organization, check them out at: www.noah'swish.org.

Good luck, Dixie and everyone else in Katrina's path! I'll be thinking of you - again. Say a little prayer for us.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2005, 05:49:07 pm »
Jeanne, we will be thinking of you during the next few days.  Stay as safe as you can.  Make sure you have lots of treats for your babies.  Do you have someone to help you get your home ready?  I like to make a big pot of Gumbo have a beer and wait it out.  Lots of hugs and good wishes for you and your family.

Lisa