Author Topic: Help my Newfoundland keeps getting out of the house!  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Pawn28

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help my Newfoundland keeps getting out of the house!
« on: March 30, 2008, 03:28:03 pm »
I really need some advise.  We have a Wonderful Newfoundland dog whom we rescused a few months ago.  Lately he has started pushing his way out the front door.  He has gotten out on 3 occations when our children (ages 4 and 5) have opened the door to go out.
I have been working on basic commands with Dexter, but when he's outside he doesn't want to "come" :(
We are very worried that it's only a matter of time before he has something bad happen to him on one of his "outtings".
I have told the kids not to open the front door until Mommy or Daddy are right there, but as they are quite young accidents happen.
Please any ideas?

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Help my Newfoundland keeps getting out of the house!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 03:40:45 pm »
The only thing I can say is to keep working with the kids and the dog, as I'm sure you've heard before, consistancy is key.  Have him sit when by the door to wait for his leash to be put on, and then have him wait to go out only after you've gone through the door.  Eventually he'll get it in his head that this is the way it's supposed to go everytime anyone is near the door, whether they're big or small.  Make sure the kids understand the importance of not opening the door especially when Dexter is near it.  And maybe look into some obediance classes that your kids can attend as well.  Most local PetSmart stores will have instore classes.  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »
We just keep the doors locked here--when it's cold then the main front door is bolted and when it's warm our screen door has a lock as well. It just gives me piece of mind all the way around.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Pawn28

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:40:45 am »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I learned last night that Dexter has learned how to open our front door with his nose!

We don't have a screen door just the metal storm door.  I will look into a baby gate but I have my doubts that Dexter won't just jump over it....but I will certianly give it a go!

I was working with him last night teaching him to sit by the front door.  I even tried it will the front door open :)

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 12:54:17 pm »
heehee He opens the door with his nose! quite problematic , but cute and tricky! My friends dog can even open doorknobs with her paws.  I  agree with the hook and eye idea for now till he is trained. I tried babygates with brooklily and she simply slammed through them like
" is this supposed to stop me?" The front door her training is going great , with sit , wait, and ok. It took a week or so.If Brooklily is willing to learn it , im thinking your boy will too.  The back door to the yard , I dont enforce as diligently, because its fenced in,  so we are not doing so well there. one hook to keep closed and one to keep open . good luck and welcome!!!
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix