Author Topic: Raw diets and my pup  (Read 6805 times)

ibenu

Raw diets and my pup
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:16:48 pm »
Started Marcus on chicken necks today.. OH my , the love in his eyes.. want to hear of puppie sand raw diets, your experiences please..

DroolRag

Re: Raw diets and my pup
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 01:20:43 pm »
I dont think your supposed to feed dogs chicken.  I heard it will kill them.  I don't think you should feed your puppy chicken or it could die!
:(

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 01:23:28 pm »
I dont think your supposed to feed dogs chicken.  I heard it will kill them.  I don't think you should feed your puppy chicken or it could die!

Hmmm...do you mean raw chicken in reference to the raw diet? I don't know about feeding raw chicken but I know that my dog loves it cooked.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

DroolRag

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 01:25:15 pm »
Well I think you can give them chicken meat, cooked but I think the bones kill dogs.  And if you dont cook it, you could give the dog salmonilla maybe. 

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 01:25:36 pm »
It's COOKED CHICKEN BONES that are dangerous.

Raw chicken, with or without bones is Dog Nirvana.

Cooked, boneless chicken is Dog Olympus.  :D  ;)

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

DroolRag

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 01:27:36 pm »
It's COOKED CHICKEN BONES that are dangerous.

Raw chicken, with or without bones is Dog Nirvana.

Cooked, boneless chicken is Dog Olympus.  :D  ;)

I've never seen those kinds of dog food, Nirvana, or Olympus, I just heard you couldn't feed a dog chicken. 

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 01:28:01 pm »

Maybe you are talking about the fact that feeding a dog cooked chicken bones, there can be a danger of the bones splintering. I have fed my dog Nigel raw chicken, bone and all, for many many meals and I assure you he is not dead. ;)

DroolRag

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 01:31:11 pm »

Maybe you are talking about the fact that feeding a dog cooked chicken bones, there can be a danger of the bones splintering. I have fed my dog Nigel raw chicken, bone and all, for many many meals and I assure you he is not dead. ;)
Maybe Nigel just got really lucky.  Are you sure you can feed that to a dog?  I mean dogs eat garbage and sometimes don't die, so maybe your dog just got lucky, or maybe he has a better immuno system or something. 

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 01:35:32 pm »

Maybe Nigel just got really lucky.  Are you sure you can feed that to a dog?  I mean dogs eat garbage and sometimes don't die, so maybe your dog just got lucky, or maybe he has a better immuno system or something. 

Drool Rag, I don't believe you have introduced yourself to the gang here, we'd love to know more about you. :) And maybe if you stick around here a while some members here who feed a raw diet to their dogs can educate you on the benefits and wonders of feeding a dog real food (meaning=raw meat!) :) It is a very common practice that promotes the best of health in canines.

Ibenu, congrats on switching your pup to raw! I'm sure that he is loving it! :D

mjjensen

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 01:42:34 pm »
  Actually raw chicken is one of the staples of the BARF diet, as well as raw beef, turkey, lamb, etc. My three have been on raw diets since they were tiny and we've never had any diet related problems. My friends pup LadyBear is also fed raw which was recommended by her breeder who is one of the most respected Newf breeders in the country. If your interested there are several good web sites and books on feeding raw. Google "Raw diets for dogs" or "BARF diet"(biologically appropriate raw food) and you'll find tons of information.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 01:47:05 pm by mjjensen »

DroolRag

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 02:10:26 pm »
I am Becky, and I have a mixed breed mutt named Shirley.  She is brown and black and I found her on the Highway.  She is around 2 years old and I love her. I think she is part lab. 
I still don't think I will feed her chicken, but thank you for telling me about it
:) 

mjjensen

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 02:19:19 pm »
I am Becky, and I have a mixed breed mutt named Shirley.  She is brown and black and I found her on the Highway.  She is around 2 years old and I love her. I think she is part lab. 
I still don't think I will feed her chicken, but thank you for telling me about it
:) 
  Hi Becky. Welcome to BPO. Everyone here loves pictures so we'd love to see some of Shirley. I'm Michael and Dad to Sam and Max who are 1 year old Newf/Pyr mixes and Duncan who's an 8 month old Newf.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 04:06:17 am »
Ibenu there are a few threads on this subject here as well as some good info on the web that Michael posted.  I'm also looking into this as my next dog I think I will feed raw.  Good luck and let me say again that I absolutely LOVE your pupper!!! 

And Becky, welcome you will thoroughly enjoy this site!!  It is very addicting if you haven't figured that out yet!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 04:13:13 am »
i feed my dogs 100% raw diets and always will... i have aewborn but i bet there are some raw posts by me...  in a little whie i will give u some good links... sorry typing with one hand
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline bhender254

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 07:22:19 am »
I agree, raw is the best way to go. Our vet bills have gone down dramatically since we switched. Sugar always had yeast infections in her ears before I switched. Both of my dogs were about a year old when I learned about and researched a raw diet. So they are never to old to switch.