Author Topic: What is appropriate behavior to protect your dog at the dog park?  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Seems like there's a lot of debate over dogs parks lately, so I'll add my question.  We took our three to the park last week.  Binky, our Pyr and McDougal ,our PapillionX are allowed off leash. Chicklet, our tiny Papillion is on a harness and I keep her well away from the other dogs (there's no separate area for small dogs).
Binky and McDougal genrally ignore other dogs and just run around.  When approached by dogs, they give a sniff and go back to their business.  So, someone arrived with a huge Pit mix.  I know a lot of people here like Pits but they make me very nervous, so my husband and I moved all the dogs off to the far corner.  The pit, of course, charges over and would not leave McDougal alone.  He jumped on his back and pawed him, etc.  The owner was not paying attention.  My husband went over and asked him to call his dog off and the guy laughed and said they were just playing.  So, poor McDOugal is getting harassed and the dog is getting rougher and rougher.  Finally, my husband yelled at the dog "ENOUGH."  The dog started barking like crazy at him and then really went after McDougal.  My husband jumped in (stupid, I know, but McDougal is his special guy) and hauled the pit off.  The owner finally comes over and started yelling at my husband to leave his dog alone!
Were we in the wrong?  My husband did not hurt the dog- he just wanted him to get away.  This has happened before at the park and we're never sure what to do.  I just don't want my dogs to be hurt.  Ideally, the owner should dicipline his dog, but unfortunately, it doesn't happen.  At what point is it ok to reprimand someone else's dog? And to what extent?   
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

GR8DAME

Re: What is appropriate behavior to protect your dog at the dog park?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 02:47:39 am »
It is a really fine line. You don't want to start a brawl, but your dogs are like your kids, you have to do what you have to do to protect them.
I guess it depends on what the problem is. If it is normal play behavior and I am uncomfortable, I would remove my dog. If it is aggressive, and I feel my dog is in danger, I will get as physical as I have to be with the aggressor, my dog or not.
I am not a shy person, in fact I am pretty in-your-face when it comes to my dogs. I think you use the least interference needed to get your point across. With some people that is  a nudge. with other people it is a sledgehammer.
Stella

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 02:50:31 am »
Let me get this straight, you asked the guy to call his dog off, he laughed at you, his dog is being so rough with your dog that you think he is actually going to hurt him, and this guy laughs at you. 

Wow, bring some mace for the owner next time.   I just don't know what I would do in a situation like that.  I feel like people with an attitude and animals like that sometimes are compensating for something and living vicariously through their animal.  Maybe they like to wear womens panties and having a MEAN pit makes them feel more like a man, I really have no idea as I don't understand the attitude.  If one of our dogs hurt someone's dog even in playing, I think I would be so embarassed I couldn't show my face at the park again.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 02:59:52 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 02:52:54 am »
Not to Thread Jack or anything, but Brandon, I LOVE the new avatar!
Stella

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 02:55:02 am »
I think you were in the right.  While there is a fine line, you asked him to call his own dog off, and he was a jerk about it.
I like pits, they don't make me nervous, but 99% of them don't belong in a dog park, and too often that's when some trouble starts.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 02:58:18 am »
I think we as dog owners...espec ially big dog owners...we should be (and we here are) responsible for our pups.  I know Lady and Grace get a little out of control when we're out and meet "people" or other dogs.  I as a rsponsible dog owner manage, handle and take care of that.  It's the other people I worry about...the people I don't know and who may or may not be as responsible for their dogs.   The park has rules and expectations too I'm sure.  That I do believe is inappropriate behavior.  I thought the park would have "tested" or evaluated the pit before allowing him to become a memeber

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 03:05:40 am »
See most dog parks up here are come when you want.. You aren't a 'member'.. you just show up use the park, and no one is there to challenge you..
But some of the new parks beign set up have very specific rules, people to monitor the park all hours it is open, enforce rules..
Guess depends what type of park it is if anyone really ares or not :(
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 03:05:51 am »
We don't have any dog parks around here but I think that after you asked politely, you should have the right to do what is needed to protect your dog.  You gave him warning that you were not comfortable with his animal's behavior.

On a personal note, I think I would be embarrassed too if my dog was being hurtful to another, even if it was just clumsiness or extra enthusiasm.  (There is a mini dashund down the street that Teddy likes to hold down with a paw, just to lick/sniff him, but it really embarrasses me!)
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 03:35:35 am »
The dog park does not have membership or anyone checking out the dogs, so it is at our own risk that we bring the dogs there.  I guess that I just expect that people who care enough about their dogs to bring them somewhere to play would care enough to train them too!  Guess not. 
I guess you just have to go with your gut and protect your dogs.  I just don't want to start a human fight too!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 03:51:56 am »
So, poor McDOugal is getting harassed and the dog is getting rougher and rougher.  Finally, my husband yelled at the dog "ENOUGH."  The dog started barking like crazy at him and then really went after McDougal.  My husband jumped in (stupid, I know, but McDougal is his special guy) and hauled the pit off.  The owner finally comes over and started yelling at my husband to leave his dog alone!
Were we in the wrong?  My husband did not hurt the dog- he just wanted him to get away.  This has happened before at the park and we're never sure what to do.  I just don't want my dogs to be hurt.  Ideally, the owner should dicipline his dog, but unfortunately, it doesn't happen.  At what point is it ok to reprimand someone else's dog? And to what extent?   

First -- asking the owner to WATCH his dog, doesn't seem like much 

Second -- I haven't gone to dog parks much after one boxer-pit mix took after Einstein (stupid boxer, if I'd let Einstein go I have no doubt the boxer's owner would have been filing charges against me!)  You might as well take your dog to the mall.  There are too many weirdo's and people who haven't got a clue about dog behavior who are allowed to adopt/rescue/buy high-energy, intense dogs like pit bulls.  I've started a small group of people in my neighborhood  and we're meeting tonight (first time) at the neighborhood school yard. 

It's amazing to me that we even HAVE dog parks, so maybe at some point in the future the dog parks will be monitored and people with aggressive dogs will be given tickets and made to attend behavior modification classes.  Heck, we do it for people who speed, right?

Sarah

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 04:01:56 am »
I am surprised that animal control doesn't stop by the park once in awhile to check the dogs rabies tags and just hang out for a few minutes.  I would think it would keep some of the dog's owners more up to date on shots, keep aggressive dogs home, etc.   
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 04:05:24 am »
I am surprised that animal control doesn't stop by the park once in awhile to check the dogs rabies tags and just hang out for a few minutes.  I would think it would keep some of the dog's owners more up to date on shots, keep aggressive dogs home, etc.   

If you've ever watched the Animal Cops show on Animal Planet, THAT's why.  They're stretched  thin trying to keep up with abused and/or neglected animals.

I've thought about calling them on my neighbors -- 4 dachsunds and further up the street 2 pit bulls -- that let theirs run around without a leash.  But, I always figure if I do, those pit bulls will come get me!  But for all I know the dachsunds haven't ever had a shot at all.
Sarah

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 04:18:44 am »

If you've ever watched the Animal Cops show on Animal Planet, THAT's why.  They're stretched  thin trying to keep up with abused and/or neglected animals.

I've thought about calling them on my neighbors -- 4 dachsunds and further up the street 2 pit bulls -- that let theirs run around without a leash.  But, I always figure if I do, those pit bulls will come get me!  But for all I know the dachsunds haven't ever had a shot at all.

Unfortunately not all cities have the big set-up like the cities that are on TV (Detroit, Houston, NY, etc.) The town that I live in has just a sheriff that takes care of animal control calls.  I know, I have called.  While on patrol (animal control or normal officers)I see no reason they can't make the dog park a stop.  You see them sitting around chatting at times, so they could stop by the dog park.  ;)     
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 04:40:07 am »
You were completely in the right.  If someone asked me to keep my dog from playing with theirs, b/c they thought it was playing too rough, I would try my best to do so.

People are wary sometimes of Gunther playing with their much smaller dogs.  Even as a pup, I had some people who would freak out if he started playing with their puppies, even if their dogs were older than him.  It wasn't until they see him play with his other friends, especially his best friend Maggie (a basset hound) that they are okay with him playing with their dogs.  He is really very gentle, more gentle than most dogs.

I have also brought client's dogs to the park, and have had to keep them from playing with others.  Both Dakota and Katie (client's dogs) like to play very rough, which is fine for some dogs, but not fine for others.  I usually keep an eye on them and pull them if needed.  I have had people ask to not have them play with their dogs, which is fine.  Once I started bringing Katie, they usually just played with each other, which was great.  They got their exercise and I didn't have to worry about them "beating" on another dog.

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 05:20:29 am »
I've had people ask me to keep Earnest from playing with their dog, he's gentle, but they're afraid because he's big.
That's ok, but that's why I object to people "training" at the dog park- if their dog doesn't have a reliable recall, how do I keep Earnest away when the dog keeps running up to him? I don't think it's fair to correct him when he's not doing anything wrong, how is he supposed to understand he can't play with a dog that keeps coming up to him?
Phyfe really isn't into playing, he likes to go visit the people and lean on them, get pets, and then come lay down by me. He'll jump up and roar if he gets stepped on, or if he thinks Earnest is in trouble, but he wouldn't hurt a fly.
Earnest had a problem with a pointer a few weeks ago, they just didn't hit it off. It was fine, I called Earnest and we stayed in the west end of the park, the owner of the pointer kept his dog toward the east. If one headed toward the other we called them back- THAT'S the way it should work at the park, both dogs under control, the humans controlling their interaction.
As far as protecting your dog, I usually call them to me and leave if there's a problem dog, it's just not worth staying.
I keep an extra lead with me, a thin 8ft nylon, and if a dog is really a problem, like won't back off even when I call the boys to me, then I put the clip through the handle to make a slip, catch the dog and lead the dog back to its owner. If I can't figure out who the owner is I clip the clip to the fence and wait. I've had people get really mad at me, that's ok, I point at Earnest and Phyfe, who are always the biggest there, and say "your dog was (playing too rough, challenging, humping, whatever) my dogs, and I just want you to hold him so I can leave, I'm afraid he'll push them too far and get killed."  We still can't stay, but I had two really obnoxious owners get the hint, they didn't train their dogs, but when we show up they leave!