Author Topic: Great Pyr owners, is this true?  (Read 3729 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Great Pyr owners, is this true?
« on: June 18, 2006, 03:38:26 pm »
That you can't take them for walks over 20 minutes?  My breeder told me that I need to stop taking Binky for long walks b/c of her joints.  I said OK, I just thought that she was old enough (just about a year) to start getting some exercise, but I'll wait 'til she's older.  Breeder says no, she can never go for long walks!  I did a lot of research on Pyrs before getting Binky and did not find this anywhere!  I knew that they didn't require a lot of exercise, but I didn't know they couldn't!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Re: Great Pyr owners, is this true?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 03:48:58 pm »
I guess I'm in trouble too then.  I always walked Thor an hour a day.  He never had any joint problems.  Carter has some problems, not quite sure what yet until we get some x-rays.  His mobility and flexability have actually improved since he came and started walking.  I started walking him just short walks but built him up to about an hour a day.  Try telling him he's got to slow down  :o  It was HOT last night and he and Katie dragged me around town!  They were possessed last night!  Actually, there is a HUGE difference between a Thor walk and a Carter walk.  Carter and Katie go almost twice as far in an hour as Thor did.  I let them set the pace to some degree - last night they really pushed the limits of my ability to keep up.  Katie and Carter are a LOT more athletic than Thor was.  Frankly, I'd take it up with my vet and see what he/she thinks.  I'd continue to be careful until she is mature (2 yrs at least) but I think 20 min is pretty restrictive.  Pyrs were developed as working dogs.  IMO they should be bred to be sound enough and athletic enough to be fairly active. 
Daphne

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 04:39:09 pm »
h*ll my dogs go for loooooooooong walks LOL... That is the silliest thing I have heard LOL... For young pups... I dont over exercise and let them set the pace but for a dog a year old...  they are fine
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 05:16:40 pm »
So you all don't think it will hurt her to walk, right?  I just can't beleive that it would badly damage her.  She does get tired, but I thought that was the point of walking- help the dogs work off their energy! 
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

k2campbell

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 05:17:41 pm »
I agree with Babs.  Kate goes for a walk every day, and we go for about half an hour.  As long as you don't overdue it when they're pups (maybe this is why your breeder told you this?), should be fine.  When we got Kate we did more playing in the yard than walking... ;)

I'd like to see Kate without her walk every day, she'd be even crazier than she is now!!! :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 05:17:57 pm by k2campbell »

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 07:36:36 am »
I have never heard of that before. Guardian pyrs walk a ton a day just guarding their flock. I would still walk Binky and let her set the pace. If she's like Kiah you'll know when she's tired. LOL!

cricket36580

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 07:58:07 am »
I'm with everyone else here.  Even when lgd's get put with a flock/herd as pups, they walk a tremendous amount.  They rarely run though, unless it's after a predator.  They do spend an inordinate amount of time laying aruond just watching too.  But they'll walk the perimeter several times a day.  I'm not sure why your breeder told you this unless there is something with her line. 

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 11:58:34 am »
I take Samson & Pippin for fairly long walks...They seem to rather enjoy it...In fact I have to spell w-a-l-k now unless I am ready to go out the door or Samson will not leave me alone...I am just waiting for him to catch on to the spelling. :-\ ...When we do get home from our walks Samson will try to pull me past our house in the hopes I will forget we live here or we were going home...lol!...I don't take my dogs out usually if it is over 80 degrees if it's humid...& the warmer it is the shorter the walk...If it is just too hot we stay home.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 07:55:19 am »
Walks with Einstein start out "omigod, I'm so excited to go for a walk -- hurry Mama, let's see how fast we can walk to the next block"  after 15 mintues they sound like "how much farther?  are we there yet?  wait, I have to stop and smell this, and this, and this, and this,"

So generally our walks last about 35-40 minutes.  THAT way Mama can have a peaceful night's rest.  Otherwise (like on rainy days we've had here in Houston lately) I feel like I'm getting up for 2 am feedings again (my youngest is 18).

If it was up to Einstein, we'd walk 15 minutes, stop and rest.  Walk 15, stop and rest.  I noticed he plays the same way when he's in a group of dogs, too.  Play, rest.  Play, rest. 

Sarah