Author Topic: Locks for Love  (Read 8128 times)

lins_saving_grace

Locks for Love
« on: July 26, 2005, 12:04:08 pm »
I just donated 10 inches to the Locks for Love charity for cancer patients.  
I've been meaning to trim my hair for a while...and decided and got the ok for about 6-8 inches off the length. the beautician said if I went with a whole 10 inches they could donate it to the wig maker place for cancer patients.   So...I DID!  Oh man...it's like a whole new me.  I didn't know I had a head under there...much less shoulders and ears.  :)
It's a great cause though.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Locks for Love
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 12:07:54 pm »
ohhhh Lins.... you must post a pic of the new you. And yes it is a great cause. Chris used to have long hair, about a year ago he cut it off and donated it to wigs for cancer patients too. That is a cause that is very near and dear to my heart, since my mother passed away in bone cancer 8 years ago.

Dont forget the pics now  :D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 12:13:40 pm »
It is a great cause.  We have a biker event every year that donates almost $100,000 to cancer research at a local hospital.  Started when the Harley shop owners dad dies of cancer 17 years ago now. 
I'm sorry about your mom.  I hope I didn't dredge up any sad feelings. 
I don't need all that hair anyway.  I dit on it...I pull it...I rip it and break it...and it's heavy!!!!!!  I'll try to get some pics tonight.  Set up the tripod...but I will get some.  My mother will love it. She likes it when I butch my hair.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 12:20:42 pm »
Dont worry Lins..... of course I miss my mother and it was tough when she was sick. But you have to come to terms with it, you hear about cancer every day, so it only makes me happy to hear when good things are being done for the cause.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 12:22:22 pm »
Pics Lins ! Pics!!!!
This is also a subject dear to my heart. My mom died 5 years ago to cancer, and hour before my daughter was born. Talk about crappy timing. She first had bone cancer when I was around 3-4 yrs again 1 month before I was married. The last time was liver and stomach-this time I think she was tired if fighting. I miss her so much. She would have loved to have a gransdaughter. The second last time my mom did have chemo and lost her hair. She did purchase a human hair wig. It look identical to her real hair--it reall was amazing.
Thank you Lins for having such a big heart.(((((((HUG))))) :D

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 12:26:27 pm »
Come on Lins we need to see a new pic of you! I dontated my hair to them in April and was so happy to do it!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 12:29:06 pm »
That is great, Lins -  I can't wait to see pictures of the new you...  Scott donated his hair a couple years ago, and I think it is a great cause!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 12:34:37 pm »
It's just a horrible disease!  My husband's father dies from lung cancer...and we have met so many who have died from it and or survived it with the run we go on every year. 
I think I'd give up the fight after a while too if I had it. 

I'll get pics when I get home tonight. 
Now what will the dogs pull on in the morning? 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 02:31:16 pm »
You women (and your husbands, mothers, daughters, etc.) are so inspiring! My sister did this a couple of years ago, too .

I'm ready to get on board - although I'll have to grow mine out some to qualify first.

Can we organize a hair-a-thon?! This would be great publicity for the site. Jaba, can someone keep a running total of how many inches BPO members donate in the next 5 months ('til December 31st) starting with Lins?  We can all post before & after pictures on a separate thread and I bet the big news wires would pick up on this and everything!

What do you say?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 02:36:00 pm »
I just gave 10 inches. <---that's what you have to start at.

I'll get after pics tonight ... and I know there are some before pics posted here.  they might have a Harley and a dog in them but they're here.

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 04:49:42 pm »
Ten inches is alot. Good for you to donate the hair to cancer patients.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 05:06:13 pm »
Locks of Love is a great charity. I have donated my hair to them twice now (once 4 years ago and once 2 years ago). It's funny you bring it up now because I need a haircut and I was just trying to decide if I will cut just a few inches to still have long hair or go short for l.o.l.

It is nice to see that so many other BPOers have contributed to them. When I first did it I didn't know anyone else who had, and since then the only person I have personally convinced to do it is my friend gina. My favorite band also had a benefit concert a couple years ago where they had a hairdresser there giving free cuts for locks of love and giving free band merch for donors. I thought that was wicked cool even though my hair was too short to cut at the time (it was just a year after I had already done it and it takes me about 2 years to grow enough).
RIP former BPO

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 07:13:53 am »
Are we ready for the AFTER picture????

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 07:17:45 am »
Looks great, Lin!!!! Nice and trim!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 07:19:33 am »
Thanks!  It feels so much better!  Like a load lifted off my head.  It's fun hair.