Author Topic: Question for BIG Fluffy Dog owners...Great Pyrenees, Leonberger, Newfie  (Read 16527 times)

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I am looking in the future for a BIG brother for Kuma.
I am curious about each breed.
I figure I will ask questions to these owners.

How are these dogs as puppies?

How are their appittes (sp?)?

Do they have rear dew claws?

Are they obident (sp?)?  OMG, my spelling is BAD :'(

Would you trust your furbaby off leash in the park?

Are they really hyper?

What are their weight?

How tall are they?

How's the drooling factor?

If you could change something about them what would it be?

Any agression? If any, what are they?

Any flaws in your opinion??

Your furbabies grew up and now they are grown, what should you have done while they were wee things that would have done him/her better now?

Did I leave out anything??
Please add...

THANK-YOU for your time  ;D

Ruta

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
OH goody!!!!  We get to talk about Newfies.  I've had/have four Newfs and they are wonderful!

How are these dogs as puppies?They are SOOO sweet.  They just want to curl up with their people!  Like any puppy, they have to be supervised at all times until they are reliable about going outside to do their business, and they have to have toys to chew so they don't chew your things, but they really are so sweet

How are their appittes (sp?)?My Newfs have been picky eaters.  They don't like kibble very well, so I cook fresh food for them.  It seems to work for us since they are both very healthy and they DO enjoy their food!

Do they have rear dew claws?  Nope

Are they obident (sp?)? Yes!  They really want to please their people and as long as you get the basics in early (Come, Sit, Heel, Stay, Walk On) it's easy to build on that.  My dogs have learned to bring in the paper, (okay, so they compete to get it and it's unreadable sometimes...bu t it is in!! :D), bring in firewood, help carry groceries, help in the garden (bringing up branches, etc that I've cut) They do all that because they want to help!
Would you trust your furbaby off leash in the park?  Yes, once the basics (see above) are in.  I haven't done it until they were almost a year old....so I can rely on their 'COM
E'

Are they really hyper?  Hmmm....opposite of hyper:  laid back, lazy, mellow are far more descriptive terms!

What are their weight?  Cowboy is about 145 and Chester is about 110 (at just over a year)

How tall are they?  About 28" at the shoulder.

How's the drooling factor?   Yep!  They drool;  some more than others.  ALWAYS when they drink water, usually when it's hot, usually when they are waiting for their food.  That's usually about it.

If you could change something about them what would it be?Really, nothing.  If they didn't drool, I don't think their mouths would be as soft, and I love that about them.  They shed a lot at times, and it would be nice if they didn't, but again, they had less coat, they wouldn't be so adaptable in different kinds of weather...

Any agression? If any, what are they?  Toward humans, and other animals: none  We also have three cats and they sniff them and that's about it.
Toward stuffed animals:  Yep!   ;)  Stuffed animals don't live too long in our house.

Any flaws in your opinion??  Heavy shedding at times and drool when it's hot  (but those things really aren't flaws to me, but it's what keeps many people from wanting Newfs)

Your furbabies grew up and now they are grown, what should you have done while they were wee things that would have done him/her better now?  With consistent reinforcement of good behavior, they are really easy to train.  They really, REALLY want to please their people.  You must remember Newfs are people dogs and want to be with their people ALL the time.  They are NOT guard dogs in any sense of the word, unless it's to keep someone from stealing the rug from under them ;).  They MAY be protective, but don't count on it!!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:44:48 pm by newflvr »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Saint Bernards aren't listed in the title, but they are deffinately big and fluffy, so I will answer these about Saints...

Playful, adorable, gentle, cuddly, wanting to be with you. Training wise, our saint was a little slow to potty train, but VERY easy to train for everything else

While growing, our saint had a hearty appetite and always ate whatever we gave her right away. Now that she is full grown, her appetite is smaller and she will often skip meals and leave her breakfast alone until evening (when she eats both meals it is 3 cups a day of a premium kibble)

They are born with them but some breeders remove them

As long as they are trained, they are very obedient. Any breed is going to need to be trained.

In a fenced in park, deffinately. She is wonderful with people and dogs. I would not trust her without a fence, because she likes to run around and play and I would be afraid for her to run somewhere dangerous

Are they really hyper?
No, they are very mellow. When we take our saint to visit other dogs she will run around and play like crazy, but when she is in the house or on a walk she is very mellow. She spends most of her time inside laying around and napping.

What are their weight?
Saints normally weigh anything from 120-180, with females being lighter than males. You want to keep them on the lighter side and not let them get overweight to protect their hips. My Saint weight 125.

How tall are they?
Anywhere between 2 and 2.5 feet. Males are typically taller than females. I am 5'7" and my saint comes up to my thigh

Saint drool a lot. Not all of the time like some people think, but they do drool whenever they have just drunken water, when they are hungry for food, and when they are excited

Health. Many saints have health problems including hip dysplasia, which is frustrating and heartbreaking to see them struggle with

My saint has none at all

Health issues

Your furbabies grew up and now they are grown, what should you have done while they were wee things that would have done him/her better now?
I should have made sure that her breeder had done appropriate OFA screenings on the mother and father instead of taking her word for it that they had good hips (she has hip dysplacia)

Please add...
Saints are kind, cuddly, loving dogs who want to be a part of the family. They are truely gentle giants who are great with kids and animals alike. However, their health problems can be hard to deal with so you need to understand them if you choose a saint
RIP former BPO

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Sorry...
I should have mentioned Saint Bernard's.
Thank-you for your input.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
*Bump*
I wanna keep this thread going ...please.

Ruta

Kiahpyr

The Great Pyrenees (in my opinion with my first pyr Kiah)

They are happy, playful and love attention. Even has puppies they are laid back. A good walk and they'll sleep for hours. Easy to housetrain with a crate, of course. ;)

Very healthy! Pyrs have a low matabolism, so don't eat very much. It's less in the summer due to the heat. Kiah does have a sensitve stomach, but I think it's just her and not the breed.

Yep have rear double dew claws not to be removed.

Socialization and obidence trianing is very important at a young age. They are known to be independent thinkers and some have called them cat like.

No, pyrs are roamers! Although I did have Kiah at an off leash dog park recently and she did great.

Are they really hyper?
Nope! Unless someones at the door!

What are their weight?
Around 100lbs

How tall are they?
26-28 inches

No drooling here! Well except for after a drink of water and playing really hard.

The barking!

Haven't had any here. I have heard that they can be same sex aggressive.

Not a flaw in my opinion, but they do blow their coat twice a year which requires lots of brushing.

More obidience training! They need to know who is Alpha.

Please add...
Pyrs love to bark and dig! But what dog doesn't! LOL! ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 07:28:15 pm by Tajsa »

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
I am looking in the future for a BIG brother for Kuma.
I am curious about each breed.
I figure I will ask questions to these owners.

Cute as can be!  No more or less destructive than other breeds IMO.  They like to DIG holes to China!  Oh wait, the adults do that too!

I've had some that were very low metabolism/didn't eat much and one now that eats TONS more than any dog I've ever owned.  Carter (about 110 lb) eats 6 c of food per day plus the equivalent of a large can of dog food (I make that myself).  My last Pyr (150 lb) ate less than 4 c per day.

Yes

Yes/no.  Mine have not been horribly hard headed but they are NOT a breed that was developed to please their owner.  They were originally bred to work and think independently.  They can certainly be trained but it is probably more work with a Pyr than with some other breeds that were developed to work closely and follow direction.  Individuals within the breed will vary in their willingness to take direction. 

No way.  Not any one of the Pyrs I've owned was trustworthy off leash though Scout and Thor would not go far.  They just liked to try the other side of the fence.  Sydney and Carter are definitely runners.  They'll go far and fast.

Are they really hyper?

Carter is, but I like it.  Actually, Carter is more of a clown than what I'd call hyper.  I've seen hyper Labs that made me dizzy with their action.  Carter isn't like that.  He's just very high energy.  Thor, my last Pyr, was the most laid back dog you can imagine.  Scout, my first, was somewhere in between as was Sydney, a Pyr I fostered. 

What are their weight?

Carter is my lightest and weighs only about 110.  He is taller than Thor was though.  Thor went 150.

How tall are they?

Carter stands about 30" at the shoulder.  Thor was not as tall but much heavier built. 

They are very good at it. 

Hmmmm.  That's tough.  If you changed something, it wouldn't be a Pyr.  I like the fluffy hair.  It makes them hugable!  That said, it is hot in the summer and a lot of work to keep them clean.  I have an Anatolian though and she just doesn't have the Pyr factor.  I like her, but I'm not head over heals in love with her like I am with Carter and was with Thor. 

My first Pyr was mentally ill and turned on myself and my kids.  Do be careful screening the parents in ANY breed but I think the LGD breeds are more prone to the aggression problems than some others. Thor was aggressive to men if they showed any fear of him.  Carter is a HUGE lovebug, but can act pretty ferocious.  I got Thor and Carter through rescue groups as mature dogs so their temperament was known before I got them.  Thor had some physical scars and his reactions to certain men (esp those in camoflage) led us to figure out his behavioral patterns so we learned to live with it.  I don't think it was his nature, it was a learned response. 

Nope!  They are Pyrfect for me!  They would not be a perfect dog for everyone though and your research now into the breeds you are interested in will pay off in the future.  Good luck on finding a dog that will fit you!

I got my last two as adults.  I wouldn't change anything!  I don't mind missing the puppy stage at all!  I did need to do some obedience work with Carter as I don't think he'd ever been handled much on a leash.  He is doing very well though and responds well to my cues.  Definitely get the upper hand with obedience work when they are small!  It is a lot more work once they get big!

Please add...

THANK-YOU for your time  ;D

Ruta
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

This is what I've experienced with Samson & Pippin...
How are these dogs as puppies? My Pyrs were both VERY low energy as pups...Pippin has always been Pyrfect :)but Samson tried to give me a run for my money about 7 to 10 months & tried to gain "top dog" status here...I had to be very firm & consistant with him to get him to see me as pack leader...Also, Samson was exceedingly fearful of strangers as a pup...It took ALOT of time & socialization to get him over the hump with this problem...What ever breed you decide on make sure thay've been bred for temperment 1st & foremost!!!

How are their appittes (sp?)?  Not big appetites even as pups as compared to some other breeds...They do require more food when going through growth spurts...Right now with summer upon us I am surprised if they finish 3 cups of kibble each a day...& they are both still under 2 yrs.

Do they have rear dew claws?  rear double dews

Are they obident (sp?)?  OMG, my spelling is BAD   They are as obedient as any Pyr will be...Pippin more than Samson...Pyrs are not "push button" obedience based dogs as they are independent thinkers & will asess any given command before complying.

Would you trust your furbaby off leash in the park? nope...What do you call a Pyr off leash?...Gone! :D

Are they really hyper?  If they were any more layed back they'd be dead! :D

What are their weight? At 23 months Samson is close to 120 lbs. & Pippin at 17 months is close to 110 lbs...They are both in good shape & not overweight.

How tall are they?  Samson is 31 inches at the withers & Pippin is 28 inches at the withers...We expect him to reach 29 inches when he is grown...Pippin is short & heavy boned...built like a brick s**thouse! :D

How's the drooling factor? Pippin doesn't drool as he has a proper Pyr mouth...Samson drools like crazy...He has a slack lower lip...I guess you'd say he has an improper mouth...lol!

If you could change something about them what would it be?  I'd only add many years to their average life expectancy but wouldn't we all?! :) & I might get rid of that blowing the coat thing...lol!

Any agression? If any, what are they? Pippin has the makings of being somewhat dog aggressive if I let him but he knows it isn't acceptable...P yrs do not tolerate predators so they have a tendancy to be dog aggressive as a breed...Samson thinks he can beat up moving vehicles. :-\

Any flaws in your opinion?? Yes, I am blinded by love of not only my Pyrs but the whole breed! :D

Your furbabies grew up and now they are grown, what should you have done while they were wee things that would have done him/her better now?...........mmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm, I really can't think of anything...I am pretty content with what I've done with my dogs...I've few regrets.

Please add...Just that Pyrs dig Great Pyrenees sized holes & they bark alot...Asking them to change who they are is unfair...Thy are not a dog to have if you're house proud & they are wary of strangers...So cialization is an absolute MUST for a Pyr if it is not going to be used as a gaurdian...Gro oming is a must & do not ever expect to leave your house again without long, fluffy white hair clinging to you! :D

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Thank-you very much people  :D
I love your input! !
I need Leonberger owners input too.
More NEWFIE, more Great Pyrenees, more Saint Bernards...
more..more..mo re..

hee hee... I better cut back on the caffine now ::)

Sniff..sniff.. . do I smell COOKIES ! !

gatta go...

oh my, I keep blabbing thinking that I am in chat... :D

Ruta

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Well, we got Hutch when he was 10 months old, so we missed out on the cute puppy breath, and the rolly polly fat bellies etc.
We are asked all of the time, How much does he eat? He only eats 3 1/2 cups a day. Like alot of the giant breeds they have slow metabolisms, and don't need to eat as much as peple would think because of their size.
They can, but they are usually removed as a pup.
Are they obident (sp?)?  OMG, my spelling is BAD
They really want to please their person, but with that said they really are only as good as they are trained.
Off leash in a park? No because we don't let them off leash in a park anymore, but we do take them off leash everyday down some abandoned logging roads for a good run.
Are they really hyper?
NO! Far from hyper, but they are always willing to go on a good walk, unless it is too hot.
What are their weight?
On average from 120-180lbs, Hutch is 190lbs, and males have been known to go above 200lbs. This is one thing about Saints that those considering adding a Saint to their home should keep in mind, there is a huge difference in a 120lb dog to a 200lb dog. So if you want a Saint be prepared for the size variations.
How tall are they?
Females at least 25 1/2 inches, males at least 27 1/2 inches. Hutch is a tall boy at 34 inches.
They drool, but mostly after having a drink or being hot etc.
The short life span that they have. 8-10 years is too short.
Males can sometimes be same sex aggressive, but usually Saints are the perfect gentle giant.
The health problems that they can have, but no more than any of the other giant breeds.
Well, they are only babies for such a short time, so some of the things that I absolutely love about my adult Saint is his loyalty. I have never had such a loyal dog, he lives to please me (not that he always does mind you ;) Sometimes he can be a littel bugger too!) How gentle these dogs are, as pups they can be a little more like a bull in a china shop, but he has an uncanny way of knowing especially when to be gentle around elderly or children. They are very sensitive dogs, they need to be part of the family. They are great with other furry family members. And, he sure is a deterant for anyone who would want to break into the house, I mean come on would you risk breaking into a house with a 190lb dog standing inside (but the truth is a quick belly rub and he would help carry the valuables to an awaiting vehicle!)?
Please add...
I love Saint Bernards, I will always have one. But with that being said they are not for everyone.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
When when people say, " NOT For Everyone". When it comes to Great Pyrenees, and the Saints.
What do they do that they can't be for everyone?

Are Saints known barkers??
Are Leonbergers barkers?

Thanks again gang :-*

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
When when people say, " NOT For Everyone". When it comes to Great Pyrenees, and the Saints.

Are Leonbergers barkers?

I think part of it is a big dog issue.  All these dogs are large and fluffy.  That brings with it a LOT of presence in your house.  Stuff broken, dirty, counter surfing, laying against doors, etc.  Some people just are NOT prepared for how much dirt a fluffy dog can drag in on a muddy day after they've dug to China.  Go find the pic of dirty Pippin for example.  Some of the Pyrs can be a bit territorial with other dogs as well so if you already have a dog in the house and add a territorial dog, you might end up with fights on occasion, or posturing at a minimum.  Forgot to mention barking.  Pyrs are awesome barkers!  I don't mind it a bit because mine are LGDs and I WANT them out there telling predators that they are on guard.  Fine out in the country where I am but Carter came from the 'burbs.  It is quite likely that he was dumped at the pound because of his barking.  It happens a LOT in Pyr rescue.  The other thing I think that may make Pyrs "not for everyone" is their tendancy to work alone.  They love you, they will obey you if it suits their purposes but they are NOT Labs.  Labs live to please you.  A Pyr does not and I think I'm safe in saying that it would be a rare Pyr that does.  I think that does make them "not for everyone."  Some people don't mind that a bit.  Others want a dog that lives to please its owner.  I think Newfies are more like Labs in that way.  Just be clear in your mind what you want in a dog and then find the breed and the individual within that breed that fits your wish list.  Individuals within every breed will vary but will tend to behave in similar ways.  If you rescue and adult, you'll get a pretty clear idea of the temperament and behavior before you get the dog.  In a puppy, there are temperament tests you can do to help you determine what the pup will be like as an adult. 
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

Are Leonbergers barkers?

I think part of it is a big dog issue.  All these dogs are large and fluffy.  That brings with it a LOT of presence in your house.  Stuff broken, dirty, counter surfing, laying against doors, etc.  Some people just are NOT prepared for how much dirt a fluffy dog can drag in on a muddy day after they've dug to China.  Go find the pic of dirty Pippin for example.  Some of the Pyrs can be a bit territorial with other dogs as well so if you already have a dog in the house and add a territorial dog, you might end up with fights on occasion, or posturing at a minimum.  Forgot to mention barking.  Pyrs are awesome barkers!  I don't mind it a bit because mine are LGDs and I WANT them out there telling predators that they are on guard.  Fine out in the country where I am but Carter came from the 'burbs.  It is quite likely that he was dumped at the pound because of his barking.  It happens a LOT in Pyr rescue.  The other thing I think that may make Pyrs "not for everyone" is their tendancy to work alone.  They love you, they will obey you if it suits their purposes but they are NOT Labs.  Labs live to please you.  A Pyr does not and I think I'm safe in saying that it would be a rare Pyr that does.  I think that does make them "not for everyone."  Some people don't mind that a bit.  Others want a dog that lives to please its owner.  I think Newfies are more like Labs in that way.  Just be clear in your mind what you want in a dog and then find the breed and the individual within that breed that fits your wish list.  Individuals within every breed will vary but will tend to behave in similar ways.  If you rescue and adult, you'll get a pretty clear idea of the temperament and behavior before you get the dog.  In a puppy, there are temperament tests you can do to help you determine what the pup will be like as an adult. 
Very well said Daphne!...I will post a pic of dirty Pippin here so she can see what you mean...Our family room is now the dogs room...We even took out the t.v. & recliner...I have to dust that room & the kitchen (connects to the dog's room) EVERY day because of dust, dirt & hair...Also, I think a Pyr isn't for everyone because you have to be ever vigilant with them around strangers & even frequent visitors to your home...You must be aware of what is going on around them at all times...Even if they would never bite they will intimidate if allowed to do so...That has been my experience but much more with Sam than Pippin.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 12:06:07 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
The size thing is a major issue when I said they are not for everyone. By the time Hutch was 10 months old, we were his third home. The reason that his first family gave him up---HE WAS TOO BIG! And he was only five months old. The second family thought the same, and they neglected to feed the proper amount that a giant breed pup requires, and he was horribly malnourished. People think that they are prepared to share their homes and hearts with such a big sized dog and then they realize that they can't see the TV when the dog is standing in that part of the living room.

Then some of the other things like the shedding and the drool. For me they really aren't that big of a deal. So I have to vacuum once a day, sweep a couple of times, and I still live in a constant house of fur!! I'm okay with that, I have changed the color of the clothing that I wear so tht it hides the fur!! :P. The drool? Well, again I can handle that, but others like my MIL can't stand it. He isn't even that big of a drooler, but it still requires a cloth to keep him looking neat and tidy. Literally I have to check the ceilings for drool spots. Last summer when we went camping with the inlaws (I know crazy huh?) the first thing my MIL said was where is Hutch's drool rag, and I said right here as I wiped it off on my pant leg, it was worth the look on her face!!!!

And who can forget the size of the vet bills associated with our big fellas? Something as simple as antibiotics for an ear infection cost three times the amount that it would for a 60lb dog.

Having a dog this size also plays on the things that we can do. We hardly go anywhere without taking our dogs with us (we had to buy the dogs an SUV), but going to a friends house visiting with a hairy drool bag is a little more risky. For example we haven't gone to spend the night at my fathers house in almost two and a half years, he just doesn't have the room for the dogs, so we just go on day trips to visit him now.

Big hairy dogs are awesome, and I couldn't live without one, but they aren't for everyone.

Oh yeah, no Saints aren't known barkers. Usually they are fairly quiet and when they bark you should take notice. Then again, not all Saints take to the breed standard.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
What saintgirl said about Saints is just as true for Newfs.  The health issue, which I should have included in my original posting is a huge, HUGE issue.  Finding a great breeder is essential. My first Newf had horrible dysplasia (and we eventually lost him at three years old from the effects of it :'()  My second Newf died, also at three from the side effects of immunizations (we titre now!! :'(), and Cowboy has epilepsy.  So out of four Newfs, three have had major, major health issues.  Chester, knock wood, so far is absolutely perfect but I researched breeders for months and then interviewed the ones I thought were the best and then finally checked my picks out with the Newfoundland Club of America.

The drool and fur thing is just not much of an issue for our family, but the health issue is just something that with any of the giant breeds can't be ignored!!

Good luck!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 03:15:11 pm by newflvr »