Author Topic: My Spaniel is becoming a problem  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Jenslade

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
My Spaniel is becoming a problem
« on: February 03, 2007, 09:18:18 am »
Hi,

I am a newbie and my K9 companion is a Springer called Buddy. We rehomed him last year and things have been great. We have a few problems to sort out but one has just started and could become a big problem.

Buddy is one and has not been castrated yet. He has suddenly started to wee in the lounge. He does this is we go out and he gets excited when we come back in so he is left in the large kitchen and dining room. Walked before we go out, never left for longer than an hour etc etc.

Last night while sitting in the lounge he just went up to my husband and cocked his leg on him and weed on him and the floor. Today he has just done the same thing.

Anyone have any suggestions. I thiught he might have cystitis but I think this is mainly a problem with bitches. The other thought I had is that he is now maturing and is marking things but it does not seem to be specific areas just anywhere.

Any help appreciated

Jenny

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: My Spaniel is becoming a problem
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 09:51:49 am »
diesel peed on my hubby a few times, too.  we summed it up as he was asserting his dominance on brandon, ONLY because he did it to get a response and everybody knew and still knows diesel doesn't care for brandon at all.  yes, i am personifying my dog, sorry.  anywho, if he's not marking any specific places but it's still in the house it COULD be that it was just b/c he hasn't been neutered yet, and there are just TOO many things to mark as "his" at once, after all the family does belong to him you know  ;).  to him there's only so much you can mark in one sitting!  for the lounge, he might just love you a whole bunch and get a little excited!  on another note, it may be separation anxiety since you say that he's never left alone more than an hour.  you might try crating him, i know diesel scout and caine go nuts if you leave them out of a crate when they're alone, but if you do crate them it calms them down b/c they have a "safe" area.  just a thought.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:48:48 pm »

This is marking....com mon in unneutered males new to the home.  I just placed a foster boy that I neutered the day before bringing him home.  He also had eye surgery so was living in the cone for several weeks....even neutered, it took several days for the hormones to subside.  FOUR weeks after living in my home, BUT the very day the cone came off and he was finally a "free dog" in the home, he lifted his leg in my familyroom right in front of me to mark it.

So not uncommon at any point that a hormonal male decides this is home.  Get the boy fixed and you will wont have to deal with marking, in your or anyone else's home.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 08:54:35 am »
Getting him neutered should reduce this or maybe eliminate it, but neutered dogs sometimes mark, too. Riley was neutered at 6-months-old, and he marks things like crazy-outside, though. He's marked inside once. Well, it was twice-he marked two of my friends within a minute of each other on New Year's Eve. They have two dogs, including a Newf that I fostered, and I guess Riley was saying my friends were his.

At any rate, it should help to neuter him, but don't be surprised if you also have to work on some behavior modification as well.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 08:55:10 am by macybean »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 09:26:51 am »
Get the boy fixed and you will wont have to deal with marking, in your or anyone else's home.

i don't quite agree with this 100%.  axle was neutered almost 3 years ago and we still can't really trust him.  he still marks in new places, especially if we go in a hotel room or a new house.  he's especially infamous for marking in petco or petsmart if we don't keep a real close eye on him.  even when we moved into our house now, the first month and a half he brought us to the brink of killing him b/c he wanted to mark EVERYthing inside the house and outside, too.  although it does make things a lot better typically, it won't necessarily always make it go 100% away in every dog.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 09:29:19 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]