Author Topic: Dog or baby  (Read 6687 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Dog or baby
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:10:49 am »
My fiance was telling me today.  Ok I understand that you want more dogs but when are babies coming into the picture.  I looked at him kind of confused.  My dogs are my babies just fur babies.  I then told him we are still young there is plenty of time for both. ;D
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Dog or baby
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 08:14:11 am »
Good answer.  ;D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:13:14 am »
Great answer to a very hard question. Are you still planning the big move?

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 09:18:48 am »
I have to admit if I had to do it all over I would stick with the fur kids.  Don't get me wrong I love my son more that anything and he has grown up to be a fine young man.....BUT in today's world it has become increasingly difficult to raise happy, healthy, educated, and secure productive members of society. 

Ultimately the responsibility is with the parents and many are failing their young children.  I understand how difficult outside interference and influences can be but taking the easier softer way is only unleashing severely troubled youth on society.  Parents MUST be willing and able to parent their children.  Rules, limitations and consistency go a long way.

Sorry....can you tell I'm having a bad week?  Two of my greatest pet peeves, irresponsible parents and pet owners have brought me to my boiling point....yet again this week.   ::)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 09:22:44 am by The Brindle Pack »

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 09:25:19 am »
I have had both, and I can honestly say dogs, even puppies, are way better.   Puppies require a lot of work and lost sleep, but they grow out of it in a matter of weeks, and babies require a ton of work and lost sleep for at least 21 years.    My kids are now 18 and 20, and I still think I should have skipped having kids and stuck with dogs.

Weedsport, NY

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 09:57:18 am »
yes i am still planning on moving we finally found a house and he is moving in it tomorrow and i am going up on the 20th of july  :'(
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 10:10:03 am »
I have two children...Rus sell will be 9 on the 10th of this month & Melyssa will be 8 in Sept...I love my children...I've literally dedicated my whole life to my family (including furry ones) & home...I have sacrificed alot to do this...Hands down, I would get another puppy LONG before I ever considered having another child...I would get a whole litter of unruly pups before I'd consider having another skin kid...I'm having a bad skin kid day...Can you tell? :-\

GR8DAME

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 10:32:39 am »
I have two skin kids, 18 and 12. I love them dearly and they can turn me into a rampaging lunatic in a matter of seconds. They are certainly not for everyone. I have a girlfriend that has decided not to have kids, and I can certainly respect her for acknowledging that she is not parent material. That doesn't mean that she would not make a good parent, just that she chooses not to. She makes an awesome "Aunt" and my kids love her to death.
Stella
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 10:36:45 am by GR8DAME »

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 11:25:37 am »
My kids are only 5 and 6 now, but I know someday in the not-so-distant-future, they are going to reject me.  Every kid hates their parents at least once in their life.  Teddy will never tell me he doesn't love me and he will never be to old to hug and he will always love it when he can be with me.  He's my perfect child!!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Icerotti

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 11:35:31 am »
 I never wanted to have children. Well, never thought I never wanted to. Once I had Alexis I was so happy.So far she has been a great child. I know there will come a time where that may change and it may not.I don't regret it for 1 second. But, one is all I wanted. I can't imagine for me having another child. When I got the itch we just buy puppies thats why we have Farley and Rosie---just kidding ;)

So from now on for us it will be fur babies ;D

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 11:47:53 am »
My daughter Macey is going to be 5 in July and Sam has just turned 5 months old, I wouldn't trade them for all the money in the world BUT....kids are WORK!!  I have not slept since I was 7 months pregnant and I think my daughter believes her name is "Macey NO"!!  Dogs are definitely their fair share of work but much easier than kids. 
Brindle Pack has hit the nail on the head too! I get so tired of people letting their children run wild in the name of "expression" or all this "child led" discipline  ???, I will lead the discipline in my home...not my child!  My mother has always told me "sometimes you have to love your children enough to let them hate you", they can think it but never ever say it...lol!
Anyhoo, kids are a lot of work but they come with a lot of rewards.  My only advice is no matter how much you plan or how much you save...you will NEVER EVER be ready for the changes children bring to your lives--you just have to hang on and jump in with both feet! ;D
I am kind of a big deal!

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 11:50:56 am »
My daughter Macey is going to be 5 in July and Sam has just turned 5 months old, I wouldn't trade them for all the money in the world BUT....kids are WORK!!  I have not slept since I was 7 months pregnant and I think my daughter believes her name is "Macey NO"!!  Dogs are definitely their fair share of work but much easier than kids. 
Brindle Pack has hit the nail on the head too! I get so tired of people letting their children run wild in the name of "expression" or all this "child led" discipline  ???, I will lead the discipline in my home...not my child!  My mother has always told me "sometimes you have to love your children enough to let them hate you", they can think it but never ever say it...lol!
Anyhoo, kids are a lot of work but they come with a lot of rewards.  My only advice is no matter how much you plan or how much you save...you will NEVER EVER be ready for the changes children bring to your lives--you just have to hang on and jump in with both feet! ;D

Well said Stacey ;D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 12:31:08 pm »
Probably not a good question for me to answer...1.) I have no kids.  2.) I got fixed 9 years ago. 3.) I've never found a decent sperm donor.  and you said it...kids are a lot of work. 

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 12:44:06 pm »
Having furbabies is excellent training for having skin kids.  Learning things like not letting a kid become the alpha, for instance.  This lesson is lost on many parents. 

I especially hate it when people who've had a dog forever, completely turn their back on the dog when the baby comes.  That ain't right.

I will give your bf (husband?) credit for being interested in and presumably willing to have the responsibility and challenge (big adventure, even) of having a child.  As my old pal (can't remember his name) used to say, "Kids are a trip, man."
Sarah

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 12:46:27 pm »
This is a thought-provoking thread.  Here's the thing:  I completely and totally agree with BrindlePack!  I have four kids; the oldest is 28 and the youngest is 19 and have had dogs and cats from the time dh and I got engaged, thirty + years ago ::).  I have been an animal lover from the time I was tiny and NEVER wanted kids...only animals.  Somehow  (:o) I got pregnant with my first and fell completely in love with that squirmy, leaky, smelly, drooly blob and then fell in love three more times! (I'm a very slow learner!!)  My kids are awesome adults but it was a h*ll of a job getting them to this point and it took EVERYTHING dh and I had to get them there.  If there is ANY question in your mind about having a child, don't do it! There is no going back once  you do it.  As I've told all my kids, you can change your mind about any decision as long as it isn't child-birth or suicide.

The risks out there are tremendous and the day they start walking is the day they are starting to walk away from you.  My kids all love me, but I am like the well loved teddy bear in the closet....ador ed but irrelevant to their daily lives.  And that's just how it should be.  My Newfs are here all the time and I know where they are sleeping on Saturday nights...and with whom!!! :o
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:47:17 pm by newflvr »