Author Topic: Anyone want to start a walking club?  (Read 9798 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Anyone want to start a walking club?
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:31:27 am »
A few weeks ago I found out that the one other person in my family without diabetes has it.  :( So now I am going to get fit and healthy.  ;D I need to lose at least 30 lbs and lower my stress level.  I am walking every morning and each afternoon, my goal is making 10K + steps each day.  I was thinking for those days I do not want to walk that extra mile it would help if I had some one to chat with about it or at least posted it some where.   So I am going to put on my pedometer each day and see if I can average 6-8 miles a day.  I have been doing it for about 3 weeks. I am getting a little down since there has not been much of a weight loss.  Here are my yesterday stats:  6.97 miles, 715 calories, 3.01 hours, and 16369 steps. 

Dixie is loving it since she gets to run around the fence line so much to guard mommy while she walks.  Sugar Bear on the other hand goes around once and goes back to his room our will watch me under an oak tree.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want to start a walking club?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 07:41:16 am »
Lisa, you can count me in.   ;D  That's actually the reason why I haven't been around much!  I was diagnosed with PCOS, Insulin Resistance and pre-diabetes on April 27th of this year and have been exercising my butt off.. which is a good loss!  lol

Seriously though, diabetes runs in my family too and the news scared me and made me turn my life around in a positive way.  I'm eating good(no white pasta, bread, rice, sugars etc...) and have been walking and using one of those elliptical ski machine things.  lol  I do a 2 mile walking aerobicly(sp?) tape in the AM and then take the dogs for a 1.7 mile walk in the evening.  I also throw in 6, 30-60 second sprints in the evening to get my heart rate up.  Right now I'm exercising alone because I don't want to scare small children by doing it in public....  ::)

So far I've lost 18lbs and 6 inches from my waist, which in turn is giving me more motivation(and thats a good thing since I still have a loooooong way to go).  :)  I remember trying all sorts of diets through my life, but finding out that I was Insulin Resistant has helped me since they gave me a medication to help me process my insulin better(Metformin).

Sorry for the ramble, I've gotta go do my tape now but I'll check back on later.  Good luck!!! :D

~moni
ps thanks for reminding me that I need to get myself a pedometer!
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:55:36 am »
I'm in.  I've hardly moved since I quit and I know I'll end up the size of a small moose if I don't move. 

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:02:37 am »
This is perfect timing!  My husband promised to start walking with me and to help motivate me when I don't feel like it, but he does not enjoy it and tries to encourage me not to go!  Also, it has been so rainy here that I don't want to do anything!  It will be good to look at this when I need motivation!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 08:03:00 am »
I have been doing it for about 3 weeks. I am getting a little down since there has not been much of a weight loss.  Here are my yesterday stats:  6.97 miles, 715 calories, 3.01 hours, and 16369 steps. 

Lisa

Lisa -- I, too, started walking (my ulterior motive in getting a dog like Einstein).  At first neither of us was in good enough shape to last more than 20 minutes.  Now, though, we can do 40 minutes without much problem (of course, Einstein acts like its killing him -- until he smells the scent along the way - then he perks up again).

I was slow to start losing weight but now I'm already down to my next skinnier pair of jeans (I have them in various sizes from ultra-skinny to mega-butt).  I think my metabolism is slower cause I'm older.  And when I quit smoking, I want to start out skinnier (it seems to be inevitable that you gain weight when you quit smoking).

So -- WE'RE IN!!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:02:51 am by smsmith »
Sarah

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 08:06:10 am »
ok!  Will there be a weigh in once in a while?  I want to drop all my winter weight too.
We wouldn't have to reveal the numbers on the scale...just how much the numbers went down.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 08:58:40 am »
this is a great idea!

Moni - way to go!! losing weight and inches!!

Harley and I have been in a neighborhood weight challenge for the last 5 weeks - I have lost 10 pounds and have started walking 5 days a week - I don't walk nearly as long as some of you but I do 2 - 2 1/2 miles in about 35 minutes it is good for me because I sadly am on the chunky side (don't tell anyone).

Harley is pretty thin but it is good for him to stay that way and it allows for a few extra treats a day.

I bought a pedometer a few months ago and its like a game to make sure I get in 10,000 steps a day - the rule I have read is 10,000 to maintain weight and 14,000 - 15,000 to lose.

Wednesday is my day not to walk to I didn't walk today but will be out there at 5:45 am tomorrow!!

Have a great day everyone!

Randy & Harley

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 09:09:32 am »
Okay...Chester and I are in!  Cowboy can't do much more than a couple of blocks (he seems to be exercise intolerant; but so am I :P)  Chester can go for miles!!!

I gotta get in to a good mother-of-the-bride outfit...somet hing other than what a tent maker would make!!! ;)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 09:14:51 am »
This is great! I walk with the girls everyday to keep them healthy and exercised and to get me fit! It's a perfect combo when you exercise with your best friend, your dog!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 09:46:27 am »
I'm in!!!!

Since moving to California (the land of the beautiful) four years ago I have packed on the pounds.  Nothing has helped me stay on plan and exercise was out of the question.  Like Moni there was NO way I was going to go out in public for exercise.  When we decided to build the sunroom we got some equipment to put out there, a treadmill and a Boxflew both purchased off e-Bay at significant savings.  Anyway, for the last three weeks I have been doing an hour on the treadmill every day and the Bowflex every other day.  I can't tell you how much better I feel, especially not waking up with backaches.

So YES count me in!!!

Mari - I understand the wanting to fit nicely in the Mother of the Bride dress.  When Karl got married in September I was sooo kicking myself in the a** because I had not lost the weight.  I look at the pictures and find it hard to believe I let myself go like that.   

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 11:22:59 am »
LOL, you guys are so much fun.  I feel better already.  I need to pay some bill and then walk some more. I am only at 7841 steps for today so I need to double that.  It's funny I have never walked just for me but when it can be done with the fur-babies it's fun.

Lisa

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 11:56:17 am »
So, I'll go buy a pedometer and try to match your 10,000 step goal (that was it, right?).

And we'll each check in every day or something?
Sarah

Blair

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 12:10:40 pm »
I just started walking, jogging the other day. I take Zeus with me cause I go at night, and he loves to jog with me. Ive been on a "diet for a month or so and I have lost 20lbs  :) I still have a lot more to lose. But count me in!!!!!! Last night I went on a jog with Zeus and then got home and felt so great I got Grey and went on a walk with him. I feel so good after those works, so full of energy, I love it.

doggylover

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 12:31:14 pm »
I just started walking, jogging the other day. I take Zeus with me cause I go at night, and he loves to jog with me. Ive been on a "diet for a month or so and I have lost 20lbs  :) I still have a lot more to lose. But count me in!!!!!! Last night I went on a jog with Zeus and then got home and felt so great I got Grey and went on a walk with him. I feel so good after those works, so full of energy, I love it.
WOW 20 pounds says that you have worked REALLY hard.  That is a lot to lose and it isn't easy!
Good for you!!!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 01:51:27 pm »
Tina that sounds like a plan to me. ;D