Author Topic: Am Tired of The Comments...  (Read 13636 times)

Yaz

Am Tired of The Comments...
« on: June 28, 2005, 01:06:31 pm »
It's funny how many people think that viewing something outside the norm gives them a liscence to be rude - grrrr! I've owned dogs all of my life, but this is my first giant breed and I can not get over the moronic comments that are thrown at me from seemingly normal people - worse yet, the majority of them are dog owners.I would NEVER dream of criticizing someone's dog, but having an unusal dog seems to make manners go out the window. Where we live in the Toronto area, not too many people have seem a Saint Bernard so it's hard to go for a quick walk anywhere without being stopped. Guinness has very huge paws (as I'm told 10 time daily) and they are the source of constant rude comments from strangers. Here's a list of the comments we've heard over the past three months:

1) Oh, I feel sorry for you - look at his paws!

2) Ew! I can only imagine the shedding and drool it does!

3) He must eat you out of house and home!

4) How big is he going to get? 200 pounds!! What do you want with a 200 pound dog?

5) I'd never want to own one - it's too big!

6) He's going to be walking YOU soon!

Argh! I could go own, but I'm certain you all have heard these comments before. I've been so polite and just smile and chuckle politely but my patience is wearing thin. So, my hubby and I have come up our own version of MAD Magazine's "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions":

1) Oh, I feel sorry for you - look at his paws!
Response (to be said in a kind patient tone you would use when speaking to the mentally challenged) - Why do you feel sorry for me? His paws? Oh, he's a Saint Bernard - they are big dogs so they have big paws.

2) Ew! I can only imagine the shedding and drool it does!
Response (if they have a dog): What a coincidence! I was just thinking how brave you are to own a dog like yours!

3) He must eat you out of house and home!
Response: No, we're filthy rich. (hee! hee!)

4) How big is he going to get? 200 pounds!! What do you want with a 200 pound dog?
Response: Why don't you try breaking into our home and find out? (ha! Guinness wouldn't hurt a fly but they don't know that!)

5) I'd never want to own one - it's too big!
Response (if they have a dog): Yes, it takes a competent dog owner to own a Saint Bernard.

6) He's going to be walking YOU soon!
Response: No, we're getting a saddle made for him.

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Am Tired of The Comments...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 01:16:33 pm »
LOL!...Love it!...I have recently started telling people that Samson is a Polar Bear hybrid & that's why he's so big, white, "mean"...I just walk away & leave them thinking about it. ;D  Interest in our big doofy dogs is one thing but rude comments from the peanut gallery is another!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 01:20:59 pm »
By the way, if you don't mind, I am going to steal the filthy rich comment...lol. ..Another good one would be,  "It doesn't cost much to feed him...Actually he is saving us money!...We are down to 2 children from the 5 we had when we got him"!...lol!

Yaz

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 01:23:05 pm »
Ha that's a great one too! Feel free to steal mine and I'll take your's too  ;D.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 01:26:09 pm »
O.k...That's a deal! :)

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 01:29:04 pm »
 ::)as an ex writer for the RR quarterly here is something i wrote and was published  many years ago
hope you all get a kick out of this,,,,,,,,,,
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 01:34:22 pm »
oooops  i hope this is a bit clearer to read  enjoy
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Yaz

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 01:39:20 pm »
Oh, excellent responses from everyone! I need all the snappy comebacks I can get. It's funny - I have a tonne of patience for the insensitivity and ignorance of non dog owners, but I start to have slow boil when someone, with their little dog in tow, refers to my dog as an "it" and criticises him while their dog is yapping or not coming when called, etc.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 01:54:32 pm »
I don't really mind when people comment on Zoey's size usually. The only thing that really bugs me is the response that we have been getting when I walk her in the park across from my new house. A ton of people walk their dogs in the park, but Zoey has barely met any. Why? Partially because I walk her at different times, but mostly because a lot of other dog owners have gone out of their way to avoid us since she is apparently the biggest dog in town. There is this one guy who sits on a bench and holds his little shag-carpet dogs (thats what they look like at least) until we have passed. Other people have crossed the street or turned paths when they see us coming. It annoys me because shes 1,000 nicer than there little dogs but some of the people in town treat her like she has the plaugue. It's so unfriendly! And then the one lady who always actually stops and lets zoey and her dog sniff each other always has to tell me how she thinks that "she's too big for a little girl like you" (this lady is like 70, and I am in my 20s and fairly petite). It gets on m nerves because I have her perfectly under control and shes always very nice and well behaived and this lady acts like I can't hold her leash. I don't have any snappy comebacks for them though.
RIP former BPO

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 02:02:27 pm »
Well Yaz, come on, what do you expect?  You live in Canada!  ;D Yuk, yuk! J/K!!!   I know low blow, actually I found Torontoans very hip folks.  But, as in any country, there are lots of folks that aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.  I think that some people just don't think about what's coming out of their mouths and just let it tumble out, whatever jibberish it may be.  Hey!  Look at me for example!

We get plenty of the repetitive comments about Newfs every day, and although it seems like nails on the chalkboard, a forced smile, a nod of the head and gritted teeth and before you know it, you're walking away and the questioning and commenting is over.  It's annoying but it really is a big dog phenomena.  We will be walking with friends and their normal sized dog and will be approached by people.  Our friend's dog might as well be invisible, because people are so focused on Drake and the repetitive questions and comments start flowing. :-\

The other thing that amazes me is the nasty, anti-big dog people some of you have mentioned encountering.  It seems like people around here can't get enough of Drake or big dogs in general.  I have had people cross busy streets, risking their safety to just say Hello and pet Drake.  Some people don't even stop, but get my attention just to say how they admire him.  It's really unbelieveable that, aside from security guards, most people are enthralled by his presence and want to talk about him or other Newfs that they have had positive experiences with.  We're lucky I guess, he is only three so we have a lot more time to see if this continues.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 02:15:48 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Yaz

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 02:15:06 pm »
You're right, Newf Lover about most people liking your dog. I'm beginning to think it's definitely a city folk thing. I just took Guinness to a new vet out of the city and there was not one negative comment from any of the folks in the waiting room or the vet staff themselves. And, come to think of it, when we have travelled with Guinn out of the city, people are always admiring him. So maybe city folk do feel intimidated by him, hence the comments.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 02:17:15 pm »
I think you're right, Yaz!  That and a lot of other bad attitudes are why we moved out of San Francisco as soon as we could.  Marin County is much more mellow and dog friendly.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 02:25:21 pm »
Hi Yaz! I am in total agreement with you. We have 2 newfs and we've heard all those comments plus a few!!!!  Its unbelievable how rude some people are and more amazing what comes out of people's mouths at times.  Your responses are GREAT! I laughed so hard ;D  We have some family, my inlaws, who are in many ways like those ignorant people. They think we are "so crazy" for having 2 big dogs, "why would you want to do that?!"  Maybe because we want to? DUH! We've been so frustrated and ticked off with people's comments but now we're at the point where it isnt bothering us.  Our new philosphy is , if you don't like dogs, drool, hair and whatever else, then you need not come over. I drove us nuts  when you have people over and all they do is complain..."Does he always drool that much? Look at how much he/she sheds!  How often do you have to vaccum? My god, how much does he eat?!!"  Guess its a sore spot with us. Why cant some people just be happy for us and the decision we made to share our life with our babies ???  Our newfs are family and I'd much rather spend my time with them than some family members ;D  Oh,did I say that out loud?!!
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

GR8DAME

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 03:15:50 pm »
Kinda long, but bear with me
 A LETTER TO MY PET

Dear dog/and or cat,

When I say move, it means go someplace else, not switch places so that there are still two of you in the way.

The dishes with the paw prints are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of my plate of food does not stake a claim to it becoming your food dish, nor do I find it aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me does not help as I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king-sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think that I will continueto sleep on the couch to ensure your comfort. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to your fullest extent. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end is an effort to maximize space used is nothing but sarcasm.

My compact discs are not miniature frisbees.

For the last time, there is no secret exit from the bahroom. If by some miracle I beat you in there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine/meow, try and get your paw under the door, or try to turn the knob. I must exit throught the same door that I entered. (IN addition, I have been using the bathroom for years, canine/feline attendance is not manditory.)

The proper order is to kiss me then go smell the other dogs or cats. I cannot stress this enough.

To pacify you I have posted the following message on the front door...Notice to all non-pet owners and other visitors who like to visit and complain about or pets....1) They live here, you don't. 2)If you don't want their hair on your clothes,stay off the furniture. 3) I like my animals better than most people. 4) To you it's an animal. To me he/she is an adopted son/daughter who is short hairy, walks on all fours and is speech challanged.

Dogs and Cats are better thn kids. They eat less, don't ask for money, are easier to train, usually come when called, don't drive your car,don't drink or smoke, don't worry about the latest fashions, or wear my clothes, don't have to be college educated, and when they get pregnant you can sell the results! 

An oldie but a goodie found it's way to my EMAIL, and seemed appropriate here.

Stella

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 03:31:13 pm »
lol  ;D I love it. Made me laugh and I needed that today!!! Thanks for sharing.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)