Author Topic: who else is going to KILL THEIR ANGUS  (Read 7233 times)

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: who else is going to KILL THEIR ANGUS
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 04:49:30 pm »
Just a thought..

what angus does is this....if i tell him to say, lay down, and he doesn't want to....he looks me straight in the eye, squats, and pees!

when Angus squats and pees does the request to sit get forgotten about while you clean up? If it does, he's won. Have you tried a house lead?

let him wander round the house with a lead on, when you want him to do something take hold of the lead then make him do it.(you then have control) tell him to sit, if he pees, ignore it, make him sit. when he sits praise him for sitting (small treat). don't let him on the furniture, if he gets on the furniture you can use the lead to get him off. If you give him a treat or meals, always make him do something to earn it, sit or lay down etc. whatever you do, don't let the peeing distract you, all you are doing is reinforcing the behaviour. make him do what you want before yo deal with the pee.

Andy

Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 06:01:29 pm »
I can't remember what state you live in,so you should click on this link: http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/dpc-seminars.html and see if the dog whispherer guy is going to be doing a seminar anywhere near you.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 06:01:56 pm by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 06:10:12 pm »
OMG THERE'S ONE IN ST LOUIS IN NOVEMBER.....I'M SO TOTALLY GOING TO GET FRONT ROW SEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS SOOOOOOO MUCH!  lol, i'm brining angus...then he can't miss me
NICKI

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 06:11:23 pm »
I agree with Andy...you need to assert yourself.  Don't rush to clean up the pee when he goes make sure he does what you've asked him to do before you clean it up.  Make sure your alpha in the household and that he knows it.  Tough love is going to be the best route...no affection unless he does what you ask or does something to earn it.  Limit his water when you know he's going to have to be locked up.....have you tried a crate with him?  Excercise him on a lead with him following at all times. But remember Saints are one of the most stubborn breeds so it'll take alot of time, energy, and consistency.  Good luck.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 06:13:55 pm »
i appreciate all you have said, and i will try everything i have not tried yet....i'll let you all know how it goes...and yes, i did the crate thing, and he LOVED to pee in the crate and lay in it..i have NEVER had a dog like angus lol.
NICKI

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 06:55:21 pm »
November is a looooooong way away!  Any chance you can find a behaviorist near you that can give you a hand now?  It really sounds like you could use some help!  :o
Daphne

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 08:05:11 pm »
on his site, there is a link to another site with some dog pros in my area...so imma look into them this week.  im still going in november, but i need help NOW cuz im goin CRAZY lol.  the dog is driving me outta my mind.  then there is cody...he is the PERFECT dog.  he listens, LIKES ME, acts like a good young boy, holds his bladder, is normal...and i raised them both...so what the heck lol. 
NICKI

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 08:07:41 pm »
Congratulation s - you've trained Angus to pee everywhere!  ;D

Being serious, he doesn't sound like a very happy boy and a bit insecure even. Do you think he's doing it for attention? If he's peeing when he's shut away from you, it could be - even if you shout at him for peeing, you are paying him attention. I'd ignore the pee even if he eyeballs you when he does it - he's trying to get a reaction out of you. The only time I would give him any attention for peeing is when he does it outside - immediately give him a treat and fuss him like he's picked you the winning lottery numbers! When he pees in the house, clean it up in silence and completely blank Angus even if he goes and pees where you've just mopped.

I would definitely try the suggestion of keeping a short lead on him, but if he reacts aggressively to being physically made to do something, don't carry on with it. It  could be he'll act like a pussycat because of the lead, but because he's been showing his teeth and growling, he could bite if pushed.

Have you got any local training classes that use positive reinforcement methods? A quick refresher course in training might do you both good and give you an insight into how you and Angus have got to this impasse and how to go about solving it.

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 12:26:31 pm »
thursday, feb 23rd.....woke up to pee.  day 3 of this pissing streak.  fun stuff.  that's all i have to say.
NICKI

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 12:51:39 pm »
Actually, the sarcastic suggestion of drugs is another possibility. There are a couple of emotional modification drugs approved for dogs. One is amitriptolene (not sure if that is spelled right) that is used mostly for aggression behaviors (may help with the growling and lip curls) and another is similar to prozac, but I'm not sure of the name. It's been in use for quite a few years, though. It might just help him feel happier and more settled and aggreable to training. Ask your vet about these possibilities.

Also, you can try Rescue Remedy - a natural herbal combination that you spray in their mouth or there are several "plug-in" types of natural pheromone dispensers that you can get at PetSmart that are supposed to calm their nerves.

Good luck. Keep us posted. I know how frustrating this must be for you because not-so-deep-down I know you desperately love Angus and want him to be a good, happy boy.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 01:17:43 pm »
We use Rescue Remedy with Sophie.  We put it in her water before we leave for work or sometimes right in her mouth.  We also use it if a thunderstorm is coming or someone is shooting off fireworks.  It has really worked for us.  She used to be a peeing machine also.  I was so unpredictable we would be gone for 6 hours and she was fine or gone for 30 mins and she pee'd.  So it was never a question of not being able to hold it. So since we've been using Rescue Remedy she rarely has an accident.  Oh and it also helps calm the nerves of people too.  I haven't tried it yet but my husband did and seemed to think it helped.  :)  So anyways I am so sorry you are going through this.  You must be frustrated to no end...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 01:18:12 pm by Rachel »
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 04:03:18 pm »
I just wanted to add my condolences(?) -- and I think while you're waiting for the dog trainer to come over, YOU should be taking the drugs!

JUST KIDDING! 
Sarah

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 07:51:38 pm »
lol, ummm....i like the idea.  lol. 

so BREAK THROUGH.  there is good and bad to this story. 

---i have finally lost my mind.  no kidding, lost it.  i am pissed off, and really tired of crap, so i'm not taking it anymore.  my one fear of angus has always been that he would kill me, but i am so far gone now that i have no fear...like i have joked with three people on the phone today, me and angus ARE going to get into it, and if he bites off my hands, i will use my stubs to jab at his eyes until he submits.  i WILL be the freaking alpha, no matter what this is going to take....15 months of angus will do this to a person.  so, all fear aside, and pure rage in my eye...here's the good news.  i believe angus has finally figured out i'm ready to have a fight...and has not moved from his down stay in 5 HOURS......the re is barking, growling, howling, and kids outside and he has not moved lol.  i think the fear has finally gone from me to him.  now, what we need to do is get rid of the fear all together and just have him decide i am his master and he does not need to fear me but to listen to me. 

so that is where we are.  say a prayer i don't lose it.  thanks. 

nicki

(ps)...i know i sound crazy here, lol...but honestly, 15 months with this dog would do this to anyone....and for anyone kinda freaked out..i would never hurt angus...jaime can tell ya. 
NICKI

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 07:57:34 pm »
Actually, the sarcastic suggestion of drugs is another possibility.

Nicky, may I suggest the drugs, but maybe you should take them rather than Angus. That way when he pees, you'll be too stoned to care.  ;D

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 07:59:30 pm »
lol, i love it...i SHOULD be on drugs huh!? 

if this new situation doesn't pan out...the drug thing will be coming, for one of us anyway.
NICKI