Author Topic: correct food for my new newfie?  (Read 4302 times)

Offline lenas mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
correct food for my new newfie?
« on: May 15, 2006, 04:06:54 pm »
Any suggestions on puppy food for my new newfie Lena?  My breeder said to stick with the plain old puppy chow (purina) large breed.  The another breeder said to NEVER feed over 24% protien and that's imposable to find.  Any help would be wonderful.  Also vet only suggested what she sold of corse.
thanks!!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: correct food for my new newfie?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 04:10:12 pm »
I would definitely not agree about keeping your newf on Purina Puppy Chow. That's what we had our 2 on for awhile. Purina uses a lot of unnecessary fillers in its Puppy Chow. I would recommend Purina ONE, Eukanuba, or Pro Plan, all of which come in large breed formulas. My Saint Bernard Dolly has done very well on Eukanuba. It's a good price too. But these are just my personal preferences for dog food. A lot of the members on here will recommend something else. Whatever you use, if you decide to change, do it slowly, adding more of it in each day. Make sure it's a good, affordable brand too! Congrats on your new pup too! Can we see some pics?  :)
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 05:04:04 pm »
I fed Kali Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy until about a month ago when we switched to Canidae All Life Stages. I would only feed premium brands and would add most of the premium foods have there pluses and minuses but overall will be much better than the supermarket varieties. Check out the Food Forum and look for the topic (?)'s disertation on food. She does a really good job of highlighting the things you need to watch for and gives you sources to continue your own research.

Most important thing you will discover while reading through the threads is Newfy's have sensitive tummies.

We live for pics here, and will be waiting impatiently for them.  Tim & Kali

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 05:38:54 pm »
I must add that it is essential that your Newfoundland be started as early as possible on a glucosamine supplement. Glucosamine is a vitamin that keeps joint cartilage healthy, which is very important in large breed dogs to prevent hip dysplasia, arthritis, and other problems. Some dog foods contain glucosamine in it already (like Eukanuba). I would recommend getting a food with it in it, plus buying a bottle of Glucosamine tablets (you can get them at Wal-Mart) and ask your vet about a good dosage and when to start giving them to your dog. My first dog had to be put down partly because of severe hip dysplasia pain. I want to make sure no other dog has to go through that by spreading the word as much as I can.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 09:15:18 pm »
I must add that it is essential that your Newfoundland be started as early as possible on a glucosamine supplement. Glucosamine is a vitamin that keeps joint cartilage healthy, which is very important in large breed dogs to prevent hip dysplasia, arthritis, and other problems. Some dog foods contain glucosamine in it already (like Eukanuba). I would recommend getting a food with it in it, plus buying a bottle of Glucosamine tablets (you can get them at Wal-Mart) and ask your vet about a good dosage and when to start giving them to your dog. My first dog had to be put down partly because of severe hip dysplasia pain. I want to make sure no other dog has to go through that by spreading the word as much as I can.
After trying a few premium foods we are on Canidae for life here!!!!!!...The only reason I didn't feed it from the get-go is it didn't contain Glucosamine... The I found out that kibble only contains 6mgs. of Glucosamine per cup & my dogs need 1000 to 1500 mgs. a day...I now supplement & feed Canidae. :)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 09:21:19 pm »
I've started Bella on Solid Gold Wolf King for large breeds.  They also have a Wolf Cub for puppies.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 10:21:54 pm »
We feed Natural Balance (allergy formula...duck and potato) for our Newf puppy.  It is about 21% protein and has been great for Chester.  I think it is a personal decision and what works for your individual pup.  Chester has itchy skin and has done SO well on the allergy formula!

Okay...now, can we see pictures??!!! ;)

Offline lenas mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 05:58:27 am »
OK I tried to send pics but didn't work...  How do I do it??

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 08:41:30 am »
Hi I'm Tspanos's sister.  We liked the Chicken Soup food but discovered it's made by Diamond which has been having a lot of problems lately so that's why we went against it for a switch to Canidae.  We're really happy with the Canidae and both our dogs are doing well on it.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 09:01:50 am »
Hi,

We started with Science Diet large breed puppy, Winslow did great on that, went to Wellness for a better quality food, Winslow did poorly on that so we just finished the switch to Canidae and he is doing much better!!

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 10:20:04 am »
Yeah, from what I remember, our breeder said not to feed Drake puppy chow.  They are growing at a different rate than the average dog and Puppy chow doesn't have the nutrition that they specifically need.  As for dog food once your Newf is big, we feed Drake Flint River Ranch and it seems to work for him.  There are so many good dog foods out there, but also many that are not good for Newfs.  Just do your homework and you'll figure out which one fits your budget and is good for your Newf.  Good luck!
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 12:49:44 pm »
Our pups are on Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken.  Klondike tends to have some allergies and since we have tried this food for over a year, no problems for him.  I agree it is a personal preference but, try to do the research here and online. 

Good luck with your pup!

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ