Author Topic: NILIF is really working!!!  (Read 5437 times)

Luvmydanes

NILIF is really working!!!
« on: October 11, 2006, 06:05:33 am »
So the past few days I've been really working hard on Goliath with the NILIF using only the "sit" command. I have started teaching him "lay down" "stay" "drop" (toys) and "paw" so today he wanted to play and I threw the toy for him once, and when he brought it back I said "goliath drop" and he dropped the toy. I then said "sit" and he sat and I said "paw" and he gave me his paw. So i'm thinking this is just a fluke thing, but he did it over and over and over again. I was thrilled! So my youngest came over and wanted to play with him, and took the toy and said "drop" and he dropped it for him and then he said "sit" and goliath sat for him! I was even happier! It was like it finally just clicked with him! And there has been NO growling for 4 days now! yay!! just had to share cause I am obviously SO excited about all this.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: NILIF is really working!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 06:07:52 am »
NILIF???  Please explain - sounds like wonderful results!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Luvmydanes

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 06:11:54 am »
It is Nothing In Life Is Free. Basically what you do is before you do anything for your dog, (feed them, let them outside, let them inside, play with them - anything) you give them a command they know, any command you want to show them that in order to get what they want, they have to do what you want. A few people on here suggested it to me and it is amazing the results I am getting after only a few days. I researched it online too and if your dog knows more than 1 command, you give a different command for each thing you do...(example: for feeding I make Goliath sit and stay, and for play, I make him sit and paw) It's so simple, yet something I had never heard before people here suggested it, so thank you guys!!

Offline DoberBaby17

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 06:11:56 am »
NILIF...nothin g in life is free. He wants to eat/play/etc, he has to do something for you first (perform a trick, sit nicely).

Way to go, Goliath! Sounds like that boy is learning quick! :D
Stacy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Offline DoberBaby17

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 06:13:10 am »
Oh, looks like we posted at the same time!!
Stacy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 06:18:56 am »
Isnt it just amazing when you try something with these dogs and it works!  Im so happy to hear this.

Jackie Wood
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Luvmydanes

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 06:26:39 am »
Yes, it is amazing, and you were one of the people who suggested this method to me, so thank you bunches!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 06:39:05 am »
That is WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!!!! :D

Go Goliath!!! I am so happy for you guys!!!! ;D

Kirsti

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 07:01:06 am »
Great Job Goliath!! I love that meathod to, it works wonders!

~K

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 09:37:17 am »
WOO-HOO!!  I'm so glad it's working for you!  And especially that it's working with the children!  But don't be discouraged if he regresses from time to time, as puppies (and people)do!  FANTASTIC!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Luvmydanes

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 10:11:48 am »
We've started working a lot with Jasmine too, cause pretty much all she knows is sit and lay down and stay. I'd like to teach her some new tricks, and we had never heard of the nilif approach before recently, so I'm excited to see how well things will go with her too!

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 04:25:40 am »
That is great news!  I have been working with Bella a lot too. she's only 12 weeks, so we occasionally have set backs  :-\ but most the time she is learning quick. I have her basically potty trained already too! I followed the instructions from the behaviorist who is doing my obedience class and had great results. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to post the link...

So glad to hear about Goliath!  ;D
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Luvmydanes

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 04:54:41 am »
I'm definitely interested. We have had 1 accident since Goliath has been home, but I take him outside lots during the day to prevent the accidents. If he could tell me when he had to go out it would be SO much easier. lol

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 06:36:15 am »
Here is the link to her website. I can't copy and paste the potty instructions because they're in pdf (of course). So, if you go to the website, click on class information, you'll see a list of classes. In the Puppy Kindergarten section is a link to "download the potty outside" form. I found it to be very helpful becuase it teaches her not just to go outside, but also when (so tey aren't wanting to head for the door every 20 minutes or whatever.  I have had good success with it... Hope it helps!

http://www.wagandtrain.com/index.html
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Luvmydanes

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 07:14:14 am »
Thank you! I downloaded it and am going to go over it in a little bit! :D