Author Topic: Exercise pens?  (Read 2774 times)

Offline robbinaj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Exercise pens?
« on: October 12, 2006, 07:37:44 am »
Has anyone ever tried using an exercise pen? It kind of a big open crate...My pup has crate anxiety (thanks to all who replied to my last post!!) and I was thinking of trying an exercise pen instead. Has anyone had any luck? Are they reliable? Can a big dog get out of one by pushing it over, etc?

Thanks for any feedback! :)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Exercise pens?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 07:57:17 am »
if the dog respects boundaries they won't try to knock it over or jump on it and it should work.  My mom would take one if we ever went out of town instead of the crate and it worked fine.  You may need to train him not to jump on it.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline cataria

• Ankle Biter
  • Shade and Bella
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 04:53:42 am »
Heather's (Navarre and some numbers) Mom here.  I have used x pens extensively over the years and had great luck with them.  While my dogs were always crate trained, when traveling, on camping trips, etc. the x pen was always a super alternative for doggy space.  I never had an issue with them jumping up or out.  Xpens also make great play pens for the human kids :)  I didn't get in on the crate anxiety thread, but did you try both types of crates?  I have both types, open wire mesh and the solid airline type.  Shade wasn't picky, but Bella seems to prefer the open mesh type.
"If unicorns and Pegasus exist only in the minds of children and dreamers, then I am honored to be among the ranks of the childish believer; for where my childhood dreams do die, there too my soul shall whither…" (Sue Lay - copyright 2002)

Offline robbinaj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 09:51:23 am »
Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate the feedback...I'm going to give it a whirl :)

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 10:16:04 am »
Do you need one to be portable? Or are you interested in buidling your own? If so let me know, I'd love to tell you about ours. It is not portable although if need be it can be moved. And it is sturdy and strong. (16 by 32 ft for times I can't be outside but the dogs want out and I prefer them not to run the yard)
If anyone is interested I can post info about it and post pics

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 04:50:58 pm »
I tried to use an x-pen for our last foster, a Dane named Sammy. He knocked that thing right over every time I put him in it. He actually busted it. I was happy the pet store let me return it! :D
But, on the other hand, I used to keep my dog Mokey in one and she was an angel. She NEVER once jumped up on the sides. It was the perfect solution for her. She weighs about 65-70 lbs so she could have busted out, but she didn't.
So.... in conclusion... I guess it depends on the personality of the dog! :)