Author Topic: Cesco attacked me :-(  (Read 18605 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Cesco attacked me :-(
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 07:55:43 am »
You have already received such great advise from people much more knowledgeable than me, but I did want to tell you how very sorry I am that you are going thru this.  It is so hard when someone or something that we love and trust hurts us.  I totally agree that it is time to bring in a professional, best of luck to you, your family and Cesco.

Randy

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 11:50:21 am »
You guys are amazing thank you so much. I am printing everything out and sticking it on the refrigerator. I feel so awful about this, but the numbing pain in my right hand and figers reminds me he really needs some help!!! Thanks again everyone  :-\
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 01:16:16 pm »
Naw you're not wierd...At least with the aggressive Alphas there is no question what you're dealing with & what your next move should be...I have a "quiet Alpha" girl & it's like a da** chess match with her...Though sometimes I am not sure whos in check. :-\

I totally know what you mean.  Holly gets away with far more than she should because she's one of the quiet, sneaky ones.  She slips under my radar far too often than i'd care to admit.  We did figure out that she feels way too high up on the ladder if she's allowed on the couch at all or in my lap, and if you do it once she assumes she can do it whenever she feels like it and doesn't like being told otherwise so no more of those for her.   ;)  I noticed the last few days that she's turned hard of hearing and it goes right along with when I started letting her on the couch again.   ::)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 01:24:04 pm »
You guys are amazing thank you so much. I am printing everything out and sticking it on the refrigerator. I feel so awful about this, but the numbing pain in my right hand and figers reminds me he really needs some help!!! Thanks again everyone  :-\

I'm' sorry you're having to deal with this.  Unfortunately it's likely to get worse for a bit before it gets better.  I really hope everything works out for you and your pup. 
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 01:24:09 pm »
Well, Cesco grabbed some candy from the table tonight and I went to take it out of his mouth and he didn't like that very much. I put my hand in his mouth to get it and he grabbed my hand, sunk his teeth in and wouldn't let go. I am left with 3 puncture wounds and a broken heart. My parents say he has to go. I say it is MY FAULT. When Cesco was a year old he attacked my dad when my dad went to grab his food bowl to fill it up. Then when he got his paw stuck in the front gate, my dad tried to get it out, and ended up with 16 more stiches. Someone please tell me we are stupid humans and this problem can be solved. Please tell me this is all my fault. My dad is ready to put him to sleep and my mom and I are sobbing because we love him so much, but don't know what to do. He gets very aggressive around his food, toys, pen, and treats. Otherwise he is a great dog!! SO happy and friendly. Please guys, I need your help here, PLEASE tell me there is a solution...... .I will do anything he needs. Feel free to tell me I am an idiot for sticking my hand in his mouth to get the candy, I realize this and wish it had never happened.  :'(
I had to dig something out of Lady's mouth ONCE!  My finger didn't come out for about 15 minutes.  I did the stare down, the alpha things, and a little yelling and I bopped her on the head once or twice. 
It never happened again.  Training...the key word is training.  They will learn that's not acceptable if you teach them it's not.  I don't want to sound harsh...but you may need to be a little more firm and less tolerant.  :) 
A dog should never attach you for reach for the food bowl YOU bought filled with the food YOU gave him.  That was lesson number 1 for us and the girls.  It's not their bowl and not their food.  We give it to them ... but it is OURS.  Same principle with toys, sticks, grass, mail, etc. 
Snippiness isn't good for you or anyone else.
When Lady snipped...I was told to do this and did do this...I grabbed her muzzle and squeezed until she yelpped.  I hate doing it...but it serious discourages that behavior.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 03:17:02 pm »
I would just like to say how sorry I am that this happened. I know how scary this must have been. Twice, Zoey has growled at me when I was trying to drag her out of the house and she didn't want to go. I was scared, but I forced out anyway, making sure that she couldn't physically bend around and bite me. But I was afraid she really would bite! You must prove that your in charge, as mentioned. Make Cesco do things that are out of his comfort zone bit by bit, slowly, so he learns to obey and trust you. If he is used to going for walks for example, stop him for a minute or 2. He may get restless, but make him learn to do things that he may not want to do, but be sure he knows he MUST obey. Or if he is used to sitting down while you brush him, make him stand. Do things to let him know you have the authority to tell him to do something he doesn't usually do. YOU are in charge. Be patient and don't give up. He hardly sounds like a mean dog. Just some behavioral problems is all.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 03:50:42 pm »
Cheyenne, I hope your hand is feeling better today.

I had to chime in again because one of my dogs just bit the crap out of my hand, because I am a fool-woman and stuck my hand in the middle of a bunch of rough-housing. I'm not even sure who got me but they must have thought my hand was just another "dog part". :( Anyhow, it hurts like crap, so I know yours must hurt REAL BAD, cause the bite I got was a play bite! Thank goodness it's my left hand, but dang! Dog teeth are painful!

Let us know how things work out and I wish you the best. Take care of that hand. :-*

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 04:22:34 pm »
The advice everyone has given is great.

One thing I would ad (if someone hasn't already) is to get him to the vet for a complete physical and bloodwork (including Thyroid-T4). There are some diseases that can cause agression. Just something else to rule out.

Good luck,
Stacie

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 06:58:46 pm »
I have been out of town and at work so much the last three weeks that Kaila has decided that she doesn't have to listen to me and that she is the boss of me.  I had to take her down a peg or two the other night and she has been a lot better.  Since I am not sure what your schedule or living arrangements are it may also be a case of Cesco trying to move up the chain of command if you haven't been giving him the attention he has been used to.  Just a thought since mine is doing that right now.  I hope your hand is doing better and everything works out.  You have gotten some terrific advice.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 08:51:09 pm »
You all are so wonderfull. I am going to the vet tomorrow and going to ask her a few questions. I have aleady started printing out articles Rebekkah and Red have sent me, they are lifesavers! I think I am going to head to the hospital tomorrow. I thought I would get feeling back in my middle finger by now, but it still feels like the whole thing is pins and needles and it is the size of a sausage. Has anyone had this happen before? Will the feeling come back soon?
I have started retraining Cesco already, I juat pray that when I leave for the summer my mom can keep it up. She is a real mushball, but when she saw Cesco attack her last night, she was crying in pain and fear for me! She has been really good today following the new rules I have learned about. I am really trying to follow NILIF. My dad still thinks Cesco is 'too dangerous" and really wants to get rid of him, so that makes me want to try harder to make everything ok! I don't know what I would do without the support of each and every one of you, I hope someday, I can be this helpfull to someone!!! Please keep your fingers crossed (and out of your dog's mouth) for me!!  ;)
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 12:00:23 am »
Don't have advice to give.  Just take care of yourself!  Watch for infection in your finger.  Clean with peroxide often. 

Hope their great advice helps.

Mel

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 04:51:27 am »
As far as the bite, I would go to the Dr.
I was bit pretty bad by a friends dog, he got me between  two bones in my hand and it took a good month to get all feeling back in my hand. I still have a crater scar in my hand and that was six years ago.
My CUjo is very food aggressive to everyone but me. I trained him and I feed him so he doesn't mess with me. I hope you can get you dog in toe. Good luck.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 08:11:29 am »
Definitely go get it checked.  It sounds like it may be already infected.  Kali's gotten me too hard on the hand a few times and hit a few nerves but it usually only took about a day to get feeling back.  She was puppy mothing at the time something she's alot better about now.  But definitely go get it checked ASAP so you can start antibiotics.  I hope it all works out also how much exercise has he been getting?  You may want to start taking him on long walks to wear him out more and teach him to respect you a little more by doing OB on the leash.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 08:37:25 am »
You all are so wonderfull. I am going to the vet tomorrow and going to ask her a few questions. I have aleady started printing out articles Rebekkah and Red have sent me, they are lifesavers! I think I am going to head to the hospital tomorrow. I thought I would get feeling back in my middle finger by now, but it still feels like the whole thing is pins and needles and it is the size of a sausage. Has anyone had this happen before? Will the feeling come back soon?
I have started retraining Cesco already, I juat pray that when I leave for the summer my mom can keep it up. She is a real mushball, but when she saw Cesco attack her last night, she was crying in pain and fear for me! She has been really good today following the new rules I have learned about. I am really trying to follow NILIF. My dad still thinks Cesco is 'too dangerous" and really wants to get rid of him, so that makes me want to try harder to make everything ok! I don't know what I would do without the support of each and every one of you, I hope someday, I can be this helpfull to someone!!! Please keep your fingers crossed (and out of your dog's mouth) for me!!  ;)

I didn't realize that you weren't going to be around this summer to follow through on any training and behavior modification that needs to be done on Cesco.

IMO, it's not fair to leave this situation in the hands of one person that is afraid of the dog, and another person who doesn't appear to be interested in keeping the dog.

Cesco's problems are not going to be "cured" in a week, or even a month.  This will have to be a lifetime commitment that the entire family will have to endure.

Have you made an appointment at the vet yet?  Have you called the behaviorist?

I cannot stress enough how serious this situation is, and you need to be proactive NOW in dealing with it.

I apologize if this post is harsh, but at this point I am more worried about you and your family's health, safely and welfare than I am about hurting feelings.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2006, 12:46:17 pm »
I am so sorry that you're having these issues!  Dell was a resource guarder as well and I can't tell you how many times Hubby has said "the dog or me". 

We have been through private training as well as several classes and intensive work with his issues.

As for your dad being bitten when Cesco was caught in the fence, that's unfair to judge him while he was hurting. 

Hang in there. 
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA