Author Topic: For those who had their dogs before their skin kids  (Read 4258 times)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
For those who had their dogs before their skin kids
« on: May 17, 2006, 12:06:17 pm »
How did the dogs react when the baby came home...were they different than what you were thinking they would be... I am just curious thats all
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: For those who had their dogs before their skin kids
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 12:40:13 pm »
Tsu wasn't really any different.  (She was 10 when I had Zac and she is 12 now.)  She was pretty indifferent with him as an infant, a snif or two here, a lick there.  When I was up at night feeding him and he would cry she would come see what was up, then go back to sleep. 

Now that Zac is older, he sometimes falls on her, trips over her, steps on her etc. and while she will turn quickly like she is going to snap at him, and sometimes I hear her teeth snap, she never EVER moves her head close enough to get him, not by a long shot. There have been plenty of opportunities.  I have no unease with her being around him.  Now that doesn't mean I won't try to grab at him if I see he is about to trip/fall/step, but he has fallen on her head, back, hips, etc.  It is like she knows.

Boudreaux on the other hand, is a different story.  When Tsu has had enough of his pawing, yapping, nipping, hair pulling, she will let him know with a leap, a snarl and take him down with a paw on top of him.  But again, she doesn't get vicious...she just sounds like it.  And of course he sounds like she is killing him.  He will learn!
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 01:01:59 pm »
Puck was here before we had Alexis. I asked the trainer what I should do to prepare the dogs for the baby. Puck was about 2 years old and Katie rotti was about 3 years old.  He said go and buy a baby doll. Hold it wrap it in a blanket, kiss it hug it -all the stuff you would normally do with a baby. Let the dogs sniff the doll tell them gentle or whatever comand you want to use aroung the baby and dog. So we did ;)

We brought the baby home they sniffed her a few times and went and laid down . They could have cared less.
 I have heard to have your husband bring a blanket home with the babys sent on it before you come home from the hospital. Let them get use to the new smell of the baby.

Behaviour wise I did not notice any change whatsoever. Puck would get concerned if the baby was crying and you were not moving fast enough to get her. He would come and nudge his nose under your arm or hand---like come you need to get the baby now. Other than that they would come and have a sniff once and a while  the odd lick or two as well ;)

I think they fell more in love with baby once she was throwing cheerios and real food off the highchair.lol  They actually got to a point where they would find a cheerio on the floor pick it up and spit it out--they were soooooo sick of cheerios.

As the baby grew up we also established rules for her to treat the dogs. Our female didn't like being approached fast for a pet. So we made sure we taught Alexis to ask mommy or daddy if she can pet Katie. She did up until Katie passed always ask to pet her first.

Alexis had many falls and trips over Puck once she got mobile and he always laid there or turned around and gave her a lick.

I was surprised at how accepting they were to the baby into the home. It the end it all worked out for us ;D

p.s. make sure not to leave a diaper laying around :-X  Our loved diapers :-X :P

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 02:03:46 pm »
We had two dogs when Casey was born, bothe dobermans and both with VERY different temperments.
Bandit was bomb-proof with any kid, no matter what age. I have never encouraged my kids to be rough with my dogs, but the occaisional trip and fall on thing will happen, and I had a very active 7 year old boy in the house too. Bandit took it all with a grain of salt, and when things got too tough, he went into my bedroom, designated as the dog safe zone.
Rambo, on the other hand actively disliked my 7 year old. Although he never hurt my son, he would warn himm off with a growl and occaisional flash of teeth. Then he would head for the safe zone as well. This was his pattern til the day he died, with my son.
I was sure that I would have to give up Rambo when I brought my daughter home...I could not have him be so reactive to a newborn baby.
On the advise of my trainer, we did the blanket thing, rubbed it all over the baby and brought it home for them to smell and check out.(While my hubby was at work they got it out of the bedroom, played tuggies with it and tore it to shreds) On the advise of the same trainer when the baby came home we stripped her naked and laid her on a blanket on the living room floor and waited, ready to grab dogs and or baby. Each dog sniffed her and checked her out, gave her a lick and laid down on her blanket.
She became "Rambo's Kid". If you had that baby, you had that dog sitting beside you.He slept beside her crib at night and woke me BEFORE she cried for her feeding.
No one touched that baby unless we handed her to them, just going and picking her up off of the floor unless you were Dale or I was not a good idea.
He remained DEVOTED to until the day he died, she was about 2.5. She is 12 now, and still asks about him, and loves stories about "her" dog.
Sorry to ramble, thanks for reading.

Stella

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 03:22:27 pm »
Thanks, Julie. Here are the "stars". Rambo was red, Bandit black, and Casey was Casey-colored, LOL
Stella

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 03:25:09 pm »
Stella, that is a beautiful story!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 03:44:52 pm »
Stella,
 Once when I was volunteering at the Humane Society, a woman and her young son came in. He was probably 7 or so. "His" dog had just passed on and they were looking for another. The woman told me the same story. She had put him naked on the floor when she first brought him home, and from that moment on that baby was the dog's. I loved it.
 Thanks! Good story!

and...hahaha.. ..Casey-colored...hahahaha....

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 05:26:28 pm »
We also did the baby blanket thing.  I truly think it helps.  We did it for both kids, come to think of it.  He was wonderful, even though he took a back seat after that.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 07:37:17 pm »
I had Tika and Mojo pre-kids.  Mojo we actually got like 3 weeks before I found out that I was pregnant with Tori, because the Drs didn't think I could have kids!!!  ;D  So I went to lots of obedience classes with him and worked on his behavior(he was an aussie puppy, need I say more  ;) ). 

We also desensitized him to hair pulling and ear pulling, patting and tapping.  We'd start of lightly and treat and then gradually increase, all the while treating.  The result, Mojo now bows when you ask if he "wants a beating" so you can paddle his nubby butt..  So I guess it worked.  We also had Jay bring the blanket home so they could smell it and then introduced them as soon as we got home from the hospital.  Mojo if anything is a baby ADDICT, he loves little ones and the only thing we have to watch out for with him is that they don't drown in kisses.

Tika OTOH was a very skittish dog and took a lot more work.  She was great when Tori was a baby, but when she got to that toddler stage, Tika was freaked out and started growling and snapping.  So my parents who lived down the road from us offered to take her.  We payed for food and vet bills and would visit her daily and Tika gradually got used to Tori and eventually came back to our house.

Faust we got after Tori was born, but we got him ready for Spencer's arrival the same way as we did Mojo.  Lots of classes to work on obedience with distractions, and also the tugging and treating, blanket etc.  He accepted the baby with no problems(and Tika did too the second time around).

Tenchi was raised alongside the little boy I used to be Nanny for, they were only a month apart and I was allowed to bring him along with me.  Tenchi now just adores children and babies.  Out of my guys, only Zeo and Kida have no real "baby" experience but if we ever decide to have more kids I'm sure that we'll use the same methods as the others.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 07:45:55 pm »
What beautiful stories and photos, everyone!  Thanks!! ;D

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 01:59:55 am »
Tonka was very curious when I brought Sam home, but because Sam was 6 wks premature and barely skimming 5 lbs I made the face to face introduction very gradually.
Everytime a sound would come from the bassinet Tonka would jump up to find out what it was and slowly I let him get closer. He sniffed all over Sam, licked his toes and went about his business.  Sam is now 4 months old and when he cries Tonka goes into mommy mode and runs to the bassinet to check on him.  He has even brought him toys on a couple of occasions.  He loves to lick his toes and it cracks Sammy up.  Tonka loves his baby brother! :D

I am kind of a big deal!

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 07:05:08 am »
I love this thread!
The stories are wonderful - Stella, my eyes welled when I read yours!
And ALL the pics are beautiful! Moni - your pics are absolutely precious!
Thanks for sharing y'all!