Author Topic: Abusing the service dog title (NY TIMES)  (Read 4545 times)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Re: Abusing the service dog title (NY TIMES)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 11:29:14 am »
That is outrageous!  They make it difficult for those whose dogs are truly trained for service.  There ought to be mandatory training and/or testing in order to qualify.  This from a person whose sister is mentally ill and would really benefit from a trained service dog to help her confidence in certain situations (yes, she is medicated and sees a pychiatrist).
Daphne

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 11:35:09 am »
I work in the Assistance dog industry and this is a HUGE problem. All the dogs that we certify have gone thru extensive testing/ training to make sure they are appropriate in ALL public settings.  It is a shame that the ADI has worked so long on getting these rights and people are taking advantage of them.
Believe me, that I know the benefit of having a dog and in some cases it is warrented, BUT some people have gone overboard, and it affects the people that REALLY do need it.
I just hope that none of these dogs ever bite a child or anyone.  When I am out in public it happesn all the time, a toddler will come running over and hug the dog. Without proper screening it is a diaster in the making.
Off my soap box now....

LA & Gang

Offline buckybizarro

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:41:50 pm »
It would just be nice if society were more dog friendly. I wish that people could pass a CGC test and use that card. It would be nice if well behaved dogs were welcome in more places. Some of these folks really need some kind of support. I don't know if having a dog with them all of the time will do it. Pluss the little blighters die too soon. It seems harmful inthe long run to put all of you emotional needs onto a dog.

I would never take Bucky to a restaurant. He would go bonkers! He would tackle a waiterss, I'm sure. But he's been to gift shops, and the post office. He's quite the gentleman. But I respect his limits. It does sound like the therapy dog designation is becoming meaningless.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 12:50:57 pm »
CGC isnt enough...  it is a basic test of good manners... I think if a dog is going to be serive dog, there needs to be strict guidelines and a universal certification that is understood by dog owners, businesses, public transportation ...

But you can totally tell when someone truly needs it for mental or physcial reasons vs. someone pushing the envelope
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 01:21:56 pm »
Home Depot and Lowe's seem to be lax on their no dogs in the store policy.  I have seen a dog in there on more than one occassion. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 03:53:04 pm »
What I can't understand about all this is surely with cafe's and restaurants as well as other shops, access for any sort of Animal, excepting service dogs should be at the owners discretion. Why have a law banning dogs? where is the freedom for the individual shop owner to decide?  I regularly visit a Cafe in a village near to where I swim Bell and Hovis, the food is great and the Cafe owners are dog lovers. There is a sign in the window saying "Dogs Welcome" and they even welcome my 2 Newfoundlands! There is freedom of choice for everybody in that you know when you enter there may be dogs inside and you can therefore choose to dine there or not. Strangely enough its usually the busiest Cafe in the area. There are other Cafes I know where the No dogs rule is acceptable, I would hate to think what my two would catch if they ate there ;D
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 04:37:07 pm »
I have to agree with those who take their dogs almost everywhere.  I don't think you should abuse the system by taking dogs in to places where it is dangerous to both people and animals, but I take my guys almost everywhere...a nd most places in my area have dog cookies behind the counter for them!  Cowboy, especially, is so well mannered (better than most 2 - 3 year old children) and the number of people who come up to love on him is incredible!  Most restaurants allow us on the patio (we always ask first!), Home Depot and Restoration Hardware always welcome them!  Most nurseries, and even some up-scale department stores (Neiman Marcus being the most outstanding at accepting dogs!!! although I've never taken them in there!)  A well mannered, well socialized dog is a joy to have around!  Of course that's the problem!! Many people think their dogs are great....until they are not!!!  Common sense should rule!!! ;)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 06:15:48 pm »
Think though about all the horror stories we hear about taking the dog to Petsmart.  MOST people's dogs are ill behaved.  Frankly I don't want to run into all sorts of dogs every where I go.  I love to see well-trained service dogs in action but I don't want to see those dogs abused by some spoiled rotten, out of control brat dog.
Daphne

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 06:36:24 pm »
The thing I find appalling is that just anybody was able to buy the 'coats' off the 'net without any proof of certification!  What's the point of spending all the time and effort to train your dog if any schmo can buy a coat and wander around abusing YOUR hard earned privelege??

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 10:06:14 pm »
CGC isnt enough...  it is a basic test of good manners... I think if a dog is going to be serive dog, there needs to be strict guidelines and a universal certification that is understood by dog owners, businesses, public transportation ...

But you can totally tell when someone truly needs it for mental or physcial reasons vs. someone pushing the envelope

You can't always tell, seizure detecting dogs being the first that come to mind, because a person with epilepsy is no different in appearance from anybody else, until they have a seizure. And it seems like Border Collies and some Spaniels are very good at this, people are not used to seeing them as service dogs, they think of GSDs and Labs or Goldens.  I've read about Great Danes and other tall dogs being used for people with MS and other neurological conditions that effect balance, those people wouldn't look different until they had a dizzy spell, then the dog is trained to let the person lean on them, and the dog takes them to the nearest wall or bench. I saw a woman in Applebee's with a dog like that, it looked like a GSH, only much taller (a mix?) and she had to explain to I don't know how many people what her "disability" was, because it wasn't obvious what the dog was for. The restaurant employees were all polite, if a little too inquisitive, but several customers were downright rude.

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 12:01:07 am »
I thought it was bad enough, people sneaking in small dogs to shop in walmart and such.  Since anyone with a larger dog could never pull that off..

But pretending your dog is a service dog sucks.

I know dogs that could pass the CGC and not a therapy dog test and they aren't too much different, so I wouldn't want CGC dogs being a catch all for being okay everywhere I go.

I had never even heard of an emotional support dog till that article.  I think that service dogs need to be a better regulated industry so people who really do have limiting disabilities don't get screwed over because someone's untrained dog that doesn't actually have training to perform a task because the dog an amock and knocked someone down, bit someone, broke something in a store, or whatever.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 06:50:06 am »
I've heard about the emotional support dogs...they are only supposed to be used in cases like bipolar, severe depression, or severe anxiety though I believe.  The dogs do help those people function and should be used.  But most of those people have to get their dogs certified anyways.  I think there should be governing boards with different types of qualifications for each type of service dog.  And if someone is caught without a license they should be fined like they do for parking in handicapped spaces (another thing that gets abused). 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties