Author Topic: Dog pee is killing my grass, any solutions???  (Read 6517 times)

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
Dog pee is killing my grass, any solutions???
« on: May 18, 2006, 04:17:53 pm »
EVERY TIME that Maggie goes pee, a little brown circle of dead grass forms about a week after.  My grass now looks like my dog- with spots all over!  Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this problem?  I think she has too much nitrogen in her pee or something b/c all of the grass around the dead area is bright green and grows really fast like it's been super fertilized!  Ideas??
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 04:27:38 pm by Maggie's Mom »
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Dog pee is killing my grass, any solutions???
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 04:26:42 pm »
It's a girl thing, usually, but the boy Newfs have the same problem.  We use tomato sauce...about a 1/4 cup in their food.  There are also tablets you can give her that cuts the acid (maybe it's nitrogen...??) but they are a bit pricey.  You can get them at any large pet store..I'll look up the name for you and get back to you. 

After a quick search, on www.sitstay.co m, there is a product called  "G-Whiz" Neutralizer.  I've never used that before, but I think it's the same theory as the tablets but cheaper. For 32 oz (a four month supply) it's $25.00.  That's what the tablets cost for a month!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 04:31:32 pm by newflvr »

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 05:07:23 pm »
Thank you so much.  I will check that out asap. 

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 10:16:54 pm »
I've got the same problem.  I've thought about trying the pills that you give them to see if they work.  I was just worried about whether they are completely safe.
About the tomato sauce, I was reading on another post that tomatoes are harmful to dogs.   ??? ???
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:40:12 pm »
"Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomatoe plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe."
One of those things that a little may harm one dog, and a lot, later down the line could harm another dog.  Anytime anyone asks about food warnings someone always chimes in with stuff like 'but I've given Dixie grapes every day of her life' you know?  Personally I wouldn't chance tomatoes in that quanitity to try to change pee acidity, but it's because food toxins building up in a dog worries me.. that an immediate reaction may not happen, but later down the line, what if it really was causing an issue..

Pee grass burning has become the new hot topic at my house having a female.. I have been told I need to follow her outside when she goes potty with a bucket of water and 'distribute' the pee by washing it out some.  So far it's working.  It is a pain in my bum though.  But thankfully, it's the first pee of the day that is the worst, so if you can deal with the first one, the others are less potent.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 06:28:20 am »
I haven't tried this yet, but I've been thinking that if you had baking soda (to neutralize the acid) and water in a a garden sprayer, you could just use that afterwards and it would be more convenient than dragging out the hose pipe, etc every time.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 07:43:40 am »
Okay....we're now off the tomatoes.  And back on the pills!! ::) ::)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 07:45:54 am »
Thanks EastJenn! I'll pick up a sprayer this afternoon. 

Maybe one of those backpack sprayers, lets see dog poop scoop in one hand, leash in the other , sprayer on my back, yeah our neighbors just know we aren't right. ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 07:46:55 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 09:25:37 am »
Just get fake grass, then it will always look pretty.  Plus, you won't have to mow it.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 09:41:04 am »
Maybe one of those backpack sprayers, lets see dog poop scoop in one hand, leash in the other , sprayer on my back, yeah our neighbors just know we aren't right. Wink

....and you thought the neighbors didn't already know??!! ;) ;)  My neighbors are subjected to me talking to the dogs all day, picking up poop, giving the "go pee" command, and occasionally, Chester s-q-u-e-e-z-i-n-g himself through the fence to go harrass their springers.  They KNOW I'm nuts!!! :D :D

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 11:14:59 am »
Tina's potty area sounds like a dream.. If only our yard weren't so crowded wit hcrap.. to the point where I'm not sure where I could pick a potty area..

The neighbours think I'm nutso.. Running outside half dressed with a puking dog yesterday, 2 am go pee now commands..

I was told by my dad just to refill a pail of water by the door daily..
A one place area to pee and poop would rock.. just where..
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 01:09:16 pm »
Urine is often very acidic, it is also very high in Nitrogen. The Nitrogen is the component in fertilizer that makes grass grow and green up hence your lush potty area. It is a combination of too much Nitrogen and the high acidity that is "burning" your lawn in the potty area.

Do you fertilize your lawn or have a lawn service that maybe?
Do you know your soil type, is it sandy, high in organic matter, or high in clay?

Solutions include diluting the urine with water as mentioned above but a much better option is to treat the potty area with Pelletized Lime. This  counteracts the acid in urine bringing the soil pH down. After spreading the pelletized lime water the area to start the decomposition of the lime.

You can use hydrated lime but it is not as safe and makes a huge mess. Good Luck Tim

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 03:58:51 pm »
That's hilarious!  LOL!! ;D