Author Topic: anyone know much about Doodles?  (Read 22149 times)

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
anyone know much about Doodles?
« on: May 19, 2006, 02:13:34 am »
I'd love to hear more about them if anyone is knowledgeable.  I'm specifically wondering if there is much difference (temperment or appearance) between a glodendoodle and a labradoodle. Maybe the hybrid is too new for any conclusions like that..
Maggie

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: anyone know much about Doodles?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 06:31:44 am »
I have read from dog trainers experiences that they can have temperment issues.  But this is not based on my experience, just stuff I've read online.  It seems like too much of a crap-shoot to me, you just never know what you will end up with as far as temperment.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 06:32:15 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 09:21:49 am »
Doodle is a very over used word.  I saw an ad in the newspaper for Labradoodles (lab mix mom and poodle mix dad).  I would assume a labradoodle could have all or any of a lab's good and/or bad charactoristic s mixed with a poodles good and/or bad charactoristic s.  Same with a golden doodle.  I'm not sure if there is any set standard charactistics of any form of doodle yet. 

Checking out both parents throughly would be your best bet.  Bet I agree it is a crapshot, the same as if you got a puppy from a pound.  I would probably head to the local pound because 1.  I don't have an extra grand to spend on a dog right now.  2.  If you want a mixed breed, you can get one who otherwise wouldn't have a home.

Disclaimer: 
1.  I have nothing against doodles.  I am just skeptical of some breeders. 
2.  I also have nothing against mixed breeds, I have a big black one who I love to death. 
3.  I have nothing against breeders who are creating hybrids.  I just wouldn't do it.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 09:35:55 am »
My brother has a 3/4 poodle 1/4 golden generation B  If that makes sense... Her name is Lola Daisy the #1 Superdog...and she looks like she came out of build a bear workshop

A great, intelligent, bright dogs... This animal has more energy than any other dog I have ever encountered and she eats everything LOL... sadly yesterday she pooped out a sock and threw up another one...

I spend most of my day with her LOL since I watch my nephew.  I dont know if there is much consistency with them as a 'breed'  yet but she isnt very large only 24 lbs at 6mths and her the poodle was a standard size one...

I think she is a interesting dog but WAY too much energy... she puts the lab and weimeraner to shame that my other family members have LOL
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 06:55:40 pm »
I've also heard that they are extremely hyperactive. Although I have never personally met one to make my own judgement.

I'm not exactly a big fan of poodles though. I live with an aggressive, snotty toy poodle that I can't stand. So she has tainted my view on poodles entirely. LOL

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 10:17:30 pm »
I'll second (or third?) the hyper thing... the Labradoodles I have met have been rather unruly and the owners looked like they were a bit frustrated with their "purchase"...
Paying that high $$$ and not knowing what you are going to get seems a bit backwards to me. With any mixed breed you are "gambling", no different with the doodles. But like someone else said, as long as you are going to take a chance, why not go down to the local shelter and adopt a dog who would otherwise be euthanized? :) (By the way- I love mixed breeds! We have... umm... 6 of them! ;))

But if you have your heart set on a doodle, it probably makes no difference whether you get a golden- or a labra-. I can't imagine that those dogs come with any type of guarantee.  ??? But who knows. I know that around this area anyone who breeds dogs is out to make a profit and none too concerned about guaranteeing anything like health or temperament. You should see the classified section of our paper! People can't even spell the names of the dogs they are breeding!!! :D

Good luck and let us know what you learn! :)

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 11:04:45 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't pay the prices of a good quality show dog, for one of mixed genitics.. And far too often a health guarantee worse than Petland's.  Some of the cocker x poodle people and lab x poodle people have been trying for more than a decade to get towards some uniformity and breed standard..
But those aren't usually the breeders most people find.. Most of them seem to be in it for the money and have shoddy breedign practices like multiple litters on the ground always, and breeding their females every heat.
If you are set on a 'doodle' breed, petfinder has a lot for a price you can't beat.  Makes up for the lack of a health guarantee.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 06:27:57 am »
it's not possible to breed doodle to doodle so there is no way to have a breed standard

I get the "too expensive for a mutt" argument, but why can't you breed doodles to doodles?  I believe it--I just don't get it.  Can anybody explain it to me?

As for my two cents, I have seen and played with several doodles and they were all sweet.  But then again, I see most dogs (like everyone else here) through rose-colored glasses.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 12:09:59 pm »
I'd love to hear more about them if anyone is knowledgeable.  I'm specifically wondering if there is much difference (temperment or appearance) between a glodendoodle and a labradoodle. Maybe the hybrid is too new for any conclusions like that..

ummmmmmmm
sorry, but they are mutts not pure breed and if the status of a very expensive mutt keeps going  , maybe ill start breeding poodles with????and ill be rich, a standard poodle is a great dog, do is the golden  , why mix them up. ive been at breeding, showing the rhodesian ridgeback for over 20 years, and it took me a very long time to produce great ridgeback, knowing the pedigrees, all the bloodlines, to meet and exceeed the AKC standard. so i guess ill get a poodle and have ridge-a-roodles???? I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!!!!
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 12:15:59 pm »
If you bred a doodle to a doodle rather than becoming 'more pure' you end up with the genetics backtracking.  The pups are going to be mainly very poodle like or very (whatever the other parent was) like.  It will recombine enough that you will have mutts that resemble the pur breds again, which is why creating new breeds takes decades and more work than most people want tp put in.

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 01:08:56 pm »
But there is no point breeding a doodle for the blind.  They already use standard poodles for those with allergies.. and some groomers give a discount on grooming costs if it's a service dog.  (a blind lady with a poodle came to my Mom's church last year and talked about her service dog.)

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 01:27:56 pm »
Our neighbours have a 2 year old golden doodle and it is crazy hyper and jumpy. Bear cannot keep up with her as she bounces all over the place. Hyperactvity seems to be common with the doodle.

Offline mariannawoof

• Ankle Biter
  • gotta love the kisses
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 01:51:02 pm »
LOL Laurelgrove... you are too funny!  ;D

xoxo marianna
Hugs & wags -
Marianna, Riley & Duffy

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 01:51:14 pm »
I have had 2 "doodles" stay at my home. One was a Weimerdoodle that came for boarding. She did shed and NEVER stopped moving. Which makes total sense you get that when one mixes 2 high energy sporting breeds. However she was sweet but not to bright.
The other was a board and train Labradoodle around 4 months old. He was smart as a whip but his temperament was not sound. Before coming to my house he had already bite the families daughter severe enough it required a doctor visit. This type of temperament in Labradoodles is common according to groomers I have spoke to.

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 01:55:20 pm »
You could always get a Cockachon which is apparently a bichon/ cocker.  Personally makes me think it's a euphamisim for a dirty word..