Author Topic: Puppy Behaviour  (Read 1749 times)

Offline barbiedoll

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Puppy Behaviour
« on: May 19, 2006, 12:59:34 pm »
Hi there,

I am new to the board.  We have an eighteen week old Great Dane puppy.  He is so laid back and easy. Is that normal Great Dane puppy behaviour?  I am always thinking there is something wrong with him.

He was quite sick when we got him (giardia, pneumonia, kennel cough, worms) so I thought he was so laid back because he didn't feel well.  Now that he is better, he is still really laid back and friendly.

Barb

GR8DAME

Re: Puppy Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 01:14:31 pm »
Hi, and welcome to BPO. Would love to see a picture of your baby.
While I have heard of laid back dane puppies, I have never been fortunate enough to own one. Mine have all hit the hellion stage at about 6-8 months, and stayed there til about 2 years old. After that they settled into couch potatoes and great companions. Even so I would not trade a single moment with any one of them.
Enjoy the quiet times, and suffer thru the rotten ones and it will all be worth it in the end.
Stella

Offline barbiedoll

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 02:17:31 pm »
Can you describe "hellion".

Should I expect worse than or better than say a lab puppy.

If you had to rate Great Dane puppy behaviour do they fall on the easier to handle or harder to handle side.

Barb

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 06:22:41 pm »
Sorry Barb, I was traveling and couldn't check in til now.
My dane pups weren't that hard to handle, it is a size thing. The pup is bigger, the damage is bigger, and the rambunctiousne ss is rougher. They don't realize their own size and strength, so they can inadvertantly knock a small person down while zooming thru the house at full speed. There is no malicious intent, just pure puppy exhuberence in a 100+ pound package. Plus they are so darned cute...
Unless you catch it right away, they counter surf and nothing is out of reach. Those tails can clear a coffee table in one happy sweep, and have been known to drop strong men into quivering balls of genitile pain.
Once they get thru the bursting with energy, clumsy phase they are absolute charmers.
I can't compare them with a lab pup because I have never had one, but compared to a dobie, they are similar. The only difference is that my danes had bursts of energy, then would crash for a coupe of hours, then start all over again. My dobies were non-stop go til they crashed for the night.
Hope this has helped ;)
Stella

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 03:37:38 pm »

I am new to the board.  We have an eighteen week old Great Dane puppy.  He is so laid back and easy. Is that normal Great Dane puppy behaviour?  I am always thinking there is something wrong with him.

Never look a gift dane in the mouth!
Ronda
 :D