Author Topic: can rabies shots make a dog sick?  (Read 9986 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
can rabies shots make a dog sick?
« on: May 19, 2006, 09:43:19 pm »
  okay, well, i took my puppy cooper in to the vet today and he had his rabies shot and, i think, his distemper(sp?)
shot. he then ended up having horrible diarrhea all day and he just now threw up. so, im wondering is it maybe the shots that made him sick? or probably something else? just wondering if anyone else's dog has had a similiar experience after getting shots. oh, and he also had his first heartworm pill today, so, i dont know, could that be it?
if anyone has any ideas and has had any similiar experiences i would appreciate your input.
 thanks, Lulu

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: can rabies shots make a dog sick?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 10:22:01 pm »
That doesn't sound good...

My pup Turkey has had reactions to vaccines before, but she pretty much has just gotten really really tired/exhausted and has no energy left for the rest of the day. If your puppy has vomiting and diarrhea, I'd be concerned. Take that pooch's temperature and if it is 104 or higher, I'd get him to a vet.

I hope he is OK!!!! Good luck!

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 10:29:51 pm »
Earnest gets sick from shots, he runs a low fever, gets diarrhea, and lays around for about 24 hours. I NEVER do all of his shots together anymore, and if the vet doesn't like all the multiple visits then I switch vets. Rabies and Leptospirosis are the ones most likely to make them sick, I do each component in the DHLLP- also known as 5 way-(distemper,hepatitis,lepto,parvo, and I forget what the second P is for) at least 10 days apart. It's a pain to keep going back in, but definitely worth it, he hasn't had a really bad reaction since I started spacing them out, although he still gets pretty droopy. More and more vaccines are getting approved as 3 and 5 year too, I know yours is just a pup, but next year when he needs his adult boosters, find a vet that uses multiple year vaccines, so he doesn't have to have them so often.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 11:14:58 pm »
I absolutely agree with mixedupdog!  Do the vaccines one at a time at least...AT LEAST!!! TWO WEEKS APART!  a month is really better.  Their immune systems can be overwhelmed by all the attacks on their immune systems.  If Cooper is drinking water and pooping and seems okay tomorrow, then you are probably fine.  If not, go back to the vet and have him checked out.  Better to be safe than sorry! ;) ;) ;)

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 11:31:52 pm »
We put rabies in the right bum cheek and the 4 way in the left.  I was told if she reacted that most likely there'd be some swelling so I'd know which shot it was..

~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 04:09:12 am »
It is possible the preservatives used in the vaccines can result in a reaction.  Thimerisol, for example however it is not used in all vaccines.  Cirra is on a minimal vaccine schedule with the vaccines spaced out by at least a month.  She had a three year rabies (state law) and then a distemper/parvo for her first annual booster.  We will consider titers in the future except for rabies since the State of Maine doesn't accept titers for rabies.  There is quite a controversy regarding the use of the numerous vaccines that are available at this time.  After researching the subject the best that we could we thought that very limited vaccines is the best approach for Cirra.   

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 03:40:24 pm »
We also vaccinate as little as possible and titre every year. Here in Calif. rabies titer isn't accepted either but since Cowboy's health is always so tenuous, we will continue to do what is best for him.