Author Topic: Check out my little overnight visitor.  (Read 4495 times)

Lyn

Check out my little overnight visitor.
« on: May 23, 2006, 04:41:31 pm »
I got a call yesterday from my hubby saying he was bringing home a visitor and to get a cage ready. He came home with a baby raccoon. :o

A friend of ours was cutting down trees and accidentally killed their mom. :'( There were 2 babies.. I took one and my sister in law took the other one. 

I just kept him overnight and took him to a wildlife rehab place today since yesterday was a holiday and I couldn't get ahold of anyone. Plus I couldn't get him to eat at all. So they are going to be tube-feeding him and his brother. He's just a sweet little guy I was sad to see him go. But at least this way he will eventually be released someday.

I snapped a few pics of the little guy.. for being wild he was actually pretty tame and I was carrying him around and cuddling with him. And he has teeth.. he could have used them if he wanted to..

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Check out my little overnight visitor.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 05:08:00 pm »
Poor little guys loosing his momma. He is so cute!

How did Bubba react to him?
RIP former BPO

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 05:15:55 pm »
aww poor little guys!  :(
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 05:28:02 pm »
Poor little thing losing his mommy like that.  In the true wild, he would have died if his mommy died so he is actually lucky. 
LOL I don't think you are supposed to 'cuddle' an animal who is going back into the wild at some point...but I would have, plus, I would have prolly fitted him with an outfit!
LOL
 :D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 06:11:40 pm »
Cute as a button at that age!  That's why a lot of people think they'll make good pets.  Then about 1 yr or so they turn into NASTY animals!  Remember "Rascal"?  That movie was pretty acurate.  DH's mom raised one when I was dating him.  It got to a point where it started getting really wild and aggressive and then it was time to go!  That was years ago before rehabbers became the norm.
Daphne

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 06:51:45 pm »
He's so cute! I had a pet raccoon named Rebecca. I found her when her eyes were still closed. She lived in my bathtub for about 3 months. Then I had to take her to a raccoon sanctuary. It was very sad to let her go, but I knew it had to be done. They are such sweet babies!

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 10:31:00 pm »
Awwwww! He's adorable! Thanks for sharing those great photos!
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 06:45:18 am »
Oh my god....look at that!  That's a once in a lifetime thing. 

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 06:54:38 am »
I was actually interested in getting my ticket to care for wildlife, mainly raccoons. But with a 2 dogs, 4 cats and 3 birds.. I'd have to built a seperate area off the house to keep them.  :|

This is the second raccoon that my hubby has brought home. The first one I bottle fed and weaned and we eventually released him. But he was younger than this one and took to a bottle no problem. The older they are.. the harder it can be to get them to eat.. I've never tube-fed before. So I had no choice but to give this little guy to someone that could.

I cuddled the first one too. He thought I was his mommy. But they do leave their mommy eventually.. so we knew he was ready to go when he started throwing attitude with me. And yeah I think he was just under a year old.

The first thing the rehab lady did was pick them up and cuddle them too. LOL She currently has 34 raccoons not counting the 2 I brought her and another litter that she is getting next week. :o Now that would definitely be too many for me. But 1 or 2 at a time I could do as long as they took a bottle.

It's so easy to get attached to them because they are soo darn cute. But I don't know anyone that has raised a pet raccoon to old age. They always turn at some point regardless of how young you get them or how much they seem to love you.  :-\

Oh forgot to add.. Bubba thought he was a cat and was trying to get right in the little guys face. He was terrified of Bubba. That was the only time I saw him snarl, growl and snap. Bubba was definitely too interested, I had to keep telling him to back off.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 06:58:54 am by Lyn »

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 07:05:25 am »
awwwww the poor baby....  but what a cutie!
You are a great foster mom, even for just a night!  :)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 07:05:38 am »
He's really cute!  he would be so much fun to have around - even if only for a few days.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 08:53:45 am »
OMG! How cute is that little baby?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Lyn

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 07:46:09 am »
I finally got around to uploading the rest of the pics... so there they are.  :D

Reunited with his brother before going to the rehab centre...

Cranky brother on the left.. the one I had on the right..

k2campbell

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 12:46:18 pm »
AW - how sweet!  I want one!  They look happy to be reunited  ;) :)