Author Topic: Do your dogs bark at thunder????  (Read 3426 times)

cricket36580

Do your dogs bark at thunder????
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:06:56 pm »
Foster is now in mortal danger of having his vocal cords cut!  And I may be the one to reach down there and snatch them out.  It's thundering and he keeps barking at it!  Like it's some evil monster out to get him.  Bella is encased under the computer desk and Baloo just keeps pacing.  Actually, I'm glad for that...make him dry off faster.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Do your dogs bark at thunder????
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:25:09 pm »
No, Tonka does not bark at the thunder (he does try to hide in extremely small spaces though lol.)
We live on an Air Force base with jets flying over all the time, which he is starting to get used to.  Mostly he paces a lot, which can drive me BONKERS....but I guess I prefer the pacing to barking.
I am kind of a big deal!

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:26:35 pm »
ROFL Badger vomits at thunder.  Consider yourself very very lucky.  Oh and I almost forgot, one year (the first year he was old enough to be left out alone and we had thunder) David and I came home from work to find the most putrid smell ever, Badger had vomited and when that wasn't bad enough, he had diarrhea all over the place.  He was cowering in the corner, covered in his own excrement. 
I would suggest you put on some music to drown out the thunder, that sometimes works for us...
 ;)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 02:46:33 pm »
What's thunder? You have to have rain for that right? I Would like some please :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

cricket36580

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 03:04:03 pm »
Brandon...If we actually got some rather than just the noise, I'd be glad to send it to you.  East of here it looked plain nasty but it's still dry as a bone here.  I'm setting the sprinklers out...

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »
Tsu huffs and growls at thunder when it starts but gets used to it.  Boudreaux on the otherhand barks at thunder, dogs on tv, Griffey breathing, crickets farting, everything.     
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 03:20:15 pm »
Tsu huffs and growls at thunder when it starts but gets used to it.  Boudreaux on the otherhand barks at thunder, dogs on tv, Griffey breathing, crickets farting, everything.     

Boudreaux sounds like a real know-it-all!  Einstein doesn't bark at thunder, he just hides.  Or pants heavily while pacing around.
Sarah

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 03:25:03 pm »
If Bear manages to wake up through a thunder storm then it is usually just to peek at the noise and then he is off to sleep again. Nothing really seems to phase my big guy.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 03:57:11 pm »
Oh goodness! Cabeza HATES thunder! He cries and cries and cries and paces and cries. It makes him VERY upset. He MUST be cuddled during a storm or I don't think he'd make it through! Poor baby!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 06:43:54 pm »
I don't think my 2 girls bark at thunder, but it does make them scared and more destructive! Some of their worst damage has been done before an approaching storm or during one!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 08:45:31 pm »
Dixie barks at it and looks for something to jump up on.  Sugar Bear find a place to hide.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

k2campbell

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 08:51:29 pm »
I found out today (Kate's 1st thunderstorm) that she poops!

Hee hee - she was home alone though, I'm sure it would've been different if we were here (or at least I hope)!  Guess we'll find out soon enough! ::) :D ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 08:51:56 pm by k2campbell »

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 06:26:55 am »
Shamus did at first but now he feels safer so he is fine. Cujo litterally kicks the back of his dog house out so he can see the lightening. He has two dog houses  one of those igloo types and a wood dog house, when it storms he goes in the wooden one and pushes and kicks until he gets the back boards off and sticks his head out that side, ???