Author Topic: Evacuation Plans to Include Pets, Maybe  (Read 7390 times)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Evacuation Plans to Include Pets, Maybe
« on: May 25, 2006, 02:36:37 pm »
Found this on the internet today:

Congress Considers Pets in Bill
Wade Phillips

A bill pending in Congress may mean more pets will be evacuating with their owners the next time a hurricane bears down on the Gulf Coast.

The Lauderdale County Animal Shelter stays packed with dogs and cats and gets a little more crowded every time a hurricane threatens the Gulf Coast. Many pet owners bring their animals north to escape the storm. This year it may be even worse.

"I've been told we may be a location for a lot more animals if we have another hurricane," said Dewayne Sosebee.

One of the reasons may be a bill in Congress that could force states and cities to factor in pets in their hurricane evacuation plans. That means trying to find a place for them to go when their owners leave.

Pets are not allowed in Red Cross shelters, though officials with the Red Cross say they've worked with owners in the past to try to find a place for them. They say this new bill would make that work even harder.

"I think we need to get with the Humane Society and veterinarians and come up with a plan for what we're going to do," said Gordon Stewart of the American red Cross Key Chapter.

Sosebee and other animal control officials statewide are already working on that plan. It will likely include extra cages being provided by the state for the local shelter and a portable shelter in a trailer recently purchased by the state.

"Most everyone I know that deals with this is working on it right now. It's something that's new for us," said Sosebee.

I don't know what I would do if I was forced to leave Einstein behind.

Sarah

Blair

Re: Evacuation Plans to Include Pets, Maybe
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 02:40:28 pm »
If I have to leave cause of a Hurricane, so do my boys, they are my babies. Thats why I am so happy Ben got a new job that will let him go if we are ever effected by a hurricane. I really hate hurricane season  :-\

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 07:25:10 pm »
I would just have to camp out.  Of course, if it's bad enough that we leave, everything goes.  100 or so chickens, 4 goats, 2 pheasants, cockatiel, lovebird, 2 cats and the 3 dogs.  My plan is to go to Garrett Coliseum in Montgomery cause they open it for evacuees with critters.  They actually mean horses but... 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 06:49:51 am »
The only way I would leave is with Sugar Bear and Dixie Darlin with me.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 11:10:29 am »
Living in Southern California there is always that chance of having to evacuate due to fire.  It's nice to know that we have The Dog House (travel trailer) if we are ever in that position.  I couldn't nor would I EVER leave without my family. 

Speaking of evacuation and what you would take with you I recently purchased an external hard drive so that just in case we had to leave all I would have to take is the hard drive not my entire computer.  The big thing for me is over the last six months I have scanned EVERY family picture (going back over 75 years) and now have those on my hard drive.  As the guardian of the family heirlooms I felt this was the best way to protect them.  I have in my position over 40 albums and numerous boxes of pictures and I just didn't know what else to do to preserve our family memories.

Although we live in the desert I don’t worry about fire as much as I did when we lived down the hill.  We are vigilant about keeping our defendable space.  I’ll never forget the first year we moved to California; it was 2002 and a really bad year for fires.  Here are some pictures that we took.  The first three were taken from our back patio; Mack took the rest as he dealt with communication issues in the mountain areas affected by the fires.  The last picture is of his vehicle right after both he and his truck got Foscheked.

If you want to see more pictures from the fires of 2002 here is the link to our WebShots album:

http://community.webshots.com/album/97051212hdFkei

« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 11:13:13 am by The Brindle Pack »

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 12:07:13 pm »
My neighborhood was evacuated during the floods we just had up here. Evacuations were voluntary for us and I was lucky, I knew we were up high enough that we'd be ok. But I don't know what I would have done if I'd been forced to leave like some of the people further down the street. I would probably have been arrested because I could never have left my kids behind. 
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 01:31:50 pm »
If I had to walk, crawl, swim or drag them on a travios, where I go, the fur kids go. If they stay so do I.
Stella

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 06:31:06 pm »
If we have to evacuate everyone is coming with us.  The horses, dogs and cats and all their gear would come.  We all would camp out somewhere if we had to as we definitely wouldn't leave anyone behind.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 06:46:13 pm »
I could not imagine leaving my furkids behind. I would put all of them in the SUV and drive. Who knows where but we would be together.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

doggylover

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 09:51:02 pm »
Several years ago we sold our home and the home we were buying fell through right before we had to leave our house.  Nobody would rent to us with a 'ROTTWEILER' because home insurance is null and void if there is an 'insurance banned breed' on premises.  We drove 3 hours every single day to a horrible dive house where they didn't care that we had a rotty. 
Do you know what all our friends and family said to us?  Just get rid of 'the dog' and get another one when you find a house to buy. 
'the dog'?   He isn't 'the dog' he is our beloved, so we drove. 
 :D