Author Topic: MASTIFF in need - VA  (Read 8063 times)

Offline Beath Anim.Shelter

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
MASTIFF in need - VA
« on: June 03, 2005, 03:01:03 pm »
Hi, Mastiff lovers,
Today, I saw an ad, in a local "free to advertise" publication.
I'm in Front Royal, VA, in the Shenandoah Valley.

Mastiff, Male, intact, abt. 5 yrs old.  Has shown some aggression
to other dogs. Must go to a home with no small children, and lots
of room to run.  WILL BE FREE TO SUITABLE HOME!

This alarms me  -- for several reasons.
Mastiffs are too often adopted for the "oooooh factor",
only to find out later the dog requries more than you have to give.

Who should I contact?
Should I put the phone number on this website?

Worried about the big guy,
Connie England
Beath Animal Rescue
Front Royal, VA

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: MASTIFF in need - VA
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 03:14:53 pm »
Here is the website for VA mastiff rescue http://www.sosmastiffrescue.org/  They will only take him if he is a pure english mastiff and thats if they have room.   I visited a mastiff breeder in Front Royal...I wonder if he could be one of hers because she probably would take him back if he is...  Her website is http://www.spicewoodflats.com/index.htm  I'll see what else I can find.

Rachel
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Beath Anim.Shelter

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 03:27:10 pm »
Rachael,
Thanks!
I know Spicewood Flats.  I called them, and the gal there said it is not one of hers.  But, she said she was curious enough to pick up a copy of the publication and look at the ad.  But, she did not sound like
she has the room/time, etc. to rescue the dog.
They run a real nice, busy facility.  And, I'm sure it's MORE than fulltime effort.

I will also send a message to the rescue website you suggested.

I have called the number in the publication several times.  First, busy for hours, then only a message machine.  I left a msg.
Thank you,
Connie

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 03:31:08 pm »
Yes she is very nice and has many beautiful dogs.  I hope that you can contact the rescue group or the owners.  I wish I could take it but since its dog aggressive that wouldn't work out...

Good luck!  Let us know if you need any more help.

Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 02:53:48 pm »
I really hope the guy gets all the help he needs and deserves. The info Rachel gave you is great. But also, you see a lot of mix mastiffs that goes under "mastiff" and the problem with the breed rescues is that they only take them if pure. Another thing to look into is the humane society. They run no kill shelters and are pretty good at adopting out all kinds of breed and mixes. The humane society here though, only takes owned dogs. so if you find a stray you can not take it there, which I find a little odd, but anyway. I once spoke to them, when I had a dog that wondered into my front yard and decided to stay there, we had ads and contacted shelters and put up flyers. after having the dog for 2 months and no owner. I spoke to the humane soc. and they said, if I take the dog to the vet. give it all the shots, it will be concidered as an owned dog and I would be the owner who surrendered him. So there are ways of getting around it.

If there is anything else we can help with, look for info or whatever it may be, just say the word  and we'll try

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog